shining spears
grav tanks and transports
warp spiders
and Guardians

Ant tips on how to beat them. ;D
Old 16 Mar 2005, 17:23   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Tips for beating an eldar army

I love playing Eldar with Tau! The High strength weaponry will decimate all! Ok, here's my tactics for playing against Eldar. I've ordered them from the highest priority shooting to least. I've also listed some of the better weapons you should use to get rid of them. (Note: I choose the weapons that will negate the saves/high strength...it doesn't mean that you can't use others )
  • Grav Tanks and Transports: High priority, for the transports will most likely be packing some Aspect Warriors for the ride. Also just looking at the list here, I've noticed that there isn't really any anti-tank abilities for what you listed, so the tanks will most likely be packing Bright Lances and Starcannons. The Falcons are better to shoot at than Wave Serpents in the begining, for the Pulse Laser should be the best anti-tank weapon that he/she will have (D3 shots!). Armor of 12 means that you should be able to punch through with most weapons.
    - Seeker Missiles, Railguns, Fusion Blasters, Missile Pods, Ion Cannons
  • Shining spears: Fear these from the very beginning! Moving 18" (12" in the move, 6" in the assault no matter what...this applies to Jetbikes too) a turn means that he will be pretty much into assualt in Turns 2-3! These are a high priority to take down for if they assualt your Crisis Suits (which they most will undoubtably will) they will decimate them! Their fancy little Laser Lance will give them a bonus Str 5 attack, and the Exarch will probably have a power weapon in there too, making a nice expensive small squad.
    - Plasma Rifles, Seeker Missiles, Ion Cannons
  • Warp Spiders: Although not that high of priority, I consider Warp Spiders higher on the list than Jetbikes, for they will be able to blast through any type of terrain, including Impossible! Their Death Spinners will munch up anything that walks around on foot in a Tau army. I especially don't like them 'cause every Eldar game I've played with they've got "Pathfinder-Hunting"...most annoying! The best way to counter these guys is if everything is mounted on a transport or has Jetpack ability, so that they will be able to keep up with them. But in any case, just shoot them!
  • Jetbikes: Basically a big, expensive, mobile Space Marines! The easiest way to get rid of these bugs is earily so that they don't flank and smack around your Firewarriors. I doubt that he will waste them by charging into assualt, he will most likely use the Jetbikes hit-and-run tactics to try and keep them safe. Counter this with suits or stuff that does not require LOS.
  • Avatar: People are reading this and they stop and say: "Hey! Why is the Avatar near the bottom of the list? Shouldn't he be a top priority 'cause he's big?" Believe me, Eldar Players want you to waste fire power on the Avatar 'cause he's big! He is the ultimate fire-magnet, but slow when compared to the rest of the Eldar. His high toughness and Invulernable save will keep him safe, so I just tend to ignore him while I wipe out the rest of the army around him.* With no ranged attacks, the Avatar is only good in close combat...and what kind of Tau army gets into close combat?
    - Railguns, Missile Pods, Ion Cannons
  • Guardians: The cannon fodder of the Eldar Army, but the Eldar pretty much need them for a cheap troop choice. The best way to get rid of these little pests is to roll up with some Firewarriors in a Devilfish, and FoF them back to the next century! Guardians will crumble like Imperial Guard do when faced with 48 pulse rifle shots when using two squads to FoF! *Insert limp body falling to ground sound here*
    - Anything, but stick to Pulse Weaponry
  • Final Thoughts: Definately invest into an Ion Cannon on a Hammerhead...not only is it an Aspect killer, it can be used (in a pinch) to take on Eldar Grav-Tanks without much trouble. Looking at the list again, you are going to be faced with a mother of Eldar Skimmer Technology, so counter it by being mobile yourself (DF, HH, and Jump-packs) and getting rid of the mobility earily. The only other tactic that comes to mind is don't waste your fire power on the Avatar. Only throw a few pot-shots at him if he is breathing down your neck, for he is only good in assualt...again, mobility is the key. Best of luck!
Old 16 Mar 2005, 18:18   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to AvalonSurfer739

Shining Spears: Sorry don't know much about them. But I do know they are fast and the best way to counter them would be with your crisis suits. the Fireknife configuration would be your best bet. Shoot at them with whatever unit you can see with unless there is a bigger threat. Your FW in a devilfish can move up to them and blast 29 S5 shots at them. This will down quite alot of them. I would keep a Crisis team to support them if the situation gets out of hand. Another option would be to stall them with your kroot. 20 Kroot will be pain even for a shining spear squad. Ion cannon wouldbe a good choice, but Do not waste Railgun shots on them. They need to be used to down the transports.

Gravtanks: These Are the very top priorety to kill. The are almost always filled with nasty and horrible things. They are fast and will reach your lines very quick. I hte it when the are filled with something like howling banshees or Fire dragons. Remeber that Eldar can fleet-of-foot, so they can move a max of 12" and assualt another 6".Kill these with your railguns. If you have broadsides, give them target locks. That way 3 transports can be hit and have a very good chance of dying. With a railgun you only need 2+ to inflict damage on a Falcon, Wave serpant, or a fire prism.If you have seeker missles use them to blow them out of the sky. Crisis suits with MP are aslo a good counter for these deadly transports. Remember these are top prioterty so they need to die first.

Warp Spiders: The problem with these are that they can DS or warp in. You will ussually not see them in the game until they warp in. They will likely be used to kill your FW. They are quite nasty vs our FW. So when they do get in just take them out with any unit that can. They have a good armor save so the only way to auto kill them is with plasma or Ion. If you don't have any unit that is already dealing with a CC threat, use them to kill the Warp spiders. But do not turn and concentrate all your firepower at them. This will lead to the more dangerous CC units swarming you. Remember that they are short ranged so a FoF strategy or a Crisis suit might work best.

Jetbikes: Jet bikes may seem like a dangerous unit, but they really are not. They are not good at shooting as they can only fire 12", and they are not any good in assualts. I would counter them with either Crisis suits, stealth suits, Fire warriors, or kroot. 24 pulse shots will dropthem like flies. They may be fast but are relativly weak. However never underestimate them. They can still do great amounts of damage. They will likely try to attck your weakest flank and crush it. Do not let this happen.
But for the most part they are not that high of a priorety.

Avatar: A slow tough unit that will soak up much fire. He is only good in CC and has NO ranged weapons. He mayseem like a monster that will smash your army but he is really not that good. He is a low priorety. Ignore him until he gets too close. All he will do is waste your shots. I would recomend using railguns, Ion cannons and your Crisis suits to counter him. Do not worry about him too much. Remeber FAST CC units die first.

Guardians: They may not seem like much but theycan do much damage. Even though pusle shots SLAUGHTER them, they will still do some impressive damge. Their grav platforms are very nasty. They can take out even a Crisis suit. Though I would not worry about these at all. As their gunscan only shoot 12", they are not very good. Standerd Fire warriors and Kroot should kill them very easily

Conclusion: For facing Eldar their transports are the highest to kill priorety. Take them out before they can reach you. It only takes one to unload its units and beat your entire army to the ground. Shining spears are another top priorety to kill. With Guardians and Avatars at the bottem of the list. Eldar are fast so have a mobile forceto counter them.Hope this has helped ;D

-Made by the awsome Photoshoper TchicoriTa
Old 16 Mar 2005, 19:59   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shasel_Aunat
[*]Shining spears: Fear these from the very beginning! Moving 18" (12" in the move, 6" in the assault no matter what...this applies to Jetbikes too) a turn means that he will be pretty much into assualt in Turns 2-3! These are a high priority to take down for if they assualt your Crisis Suits (which they most will undoubtably will) they will decimate them! Their fancy little Laser Lance will give them a bonus Str 5 attack, and the Exarch will probably have a power weapon in there too, making a nice expensive small squad.
lol, Shining spears only come in 3's and have an exarch with a 3+ invinerable and a BS5 BLance, thats the only way they come :P
fear them for tanks die in droves, just FoF them once or load a 3 man Fireknife squad on them and they'll die, its catching them thats the hard part :P.

other than that its pretty much safe to go with aunat, he almost knows what he's talking about :P
Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
Old 16 Mar 2005, 20:05   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy
other than that its pretty much safe to go with aunat, he almost knows what he's talking about :P
Y'all dont' have the saying "if you can't say something nice, dont' say anything at all" down there in NZ, do you DizzyG?

:
3) Tau are a team: Stick together.

[size=8pt]40k v4.0 FAQs[/size]
[size=8pt]official Rail Rifle rules[/size]
[size=8pt]Forge World Rules and Models[/size]
[size=8pt]Crisis Configurations[/size]
[size=8pt]Gue'vesa: Tau Human Auxiliary rules[/size]
[size=8pt]Mechanized Tau Tactica[/size]
[size=8pt]TauOnline Tactica[/size]
Old 16 Mar 2005, 20:09   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

no we have "say what you mean and mean what you say" :
go here
Old 16 Mar 2005, 20:09   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Dizzy:
lol...I almost know what I'm talking about? Hmmm... ^-^
And as for the Shining Spears, they can come with in groups of 5's (although highly expensive).

AvalonSurfer739:
I like how you backed up my ideas, but I've only one beef...Jetbikes are actually pretty dangerous. They pump out 2 Twin-Linked shots each, even though Tau gets an armour save, it's still 20 shots re-rolling misses in a 10 bike squad! Eldar was my first army (Saim-Hann actually) and have learned that Jetbikes are a force to be faced with...And thanks for agreeing with me about the Avatar...most people go "KILL IT FIRST!" :-\ and its quite entertaining watching an army pump out 3 turns worth of shooting to finally kill it... ^-^
Old 16 Mar 2005, 20:13   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

lol, they can, but never do :P, noone in their right mind takes 5 :P (and I play Saim haan too :P)

the avatar is worthless IMO, we can outrun it and it doesnt shoot .......... yeah ............

and jetbikes = below tanks, SS, and most other stuff, 10 JB is 350pts ............. OMFG thats expensive, even in saim haan I'd only use 3 man squads :P
go here
Old 16 Mar 2005, 20:15   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Ya, but that's your style...I think that DRcheese29 needs to post some more info...
Old 16 Mar 2005, 20:19   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to AvalonSurfer739

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shasel_Aunat
Dizzy:
lol...I almost know what I'm talking about? Hmmm... ^-^
And as for the Shining Spears, they can come with in groups of 5's (although highly expensive).

AvalonSurfer739:
I like how you backed up my ideas, but I've only one beef...Jetbikes are actually pretty dangerous. They pump out 2 Twin-Linked shots each, even though Tau gets an armour save, it's still 20 shots re-rolling misses in a 10 bike squad! Eldar was my first army (Saim-Hann actually) and have learned that Jetbikes are a force to be faced with...And thanks for agreeing with me about the Avatar...most people go "KILL IT FIRST!" :-\ and its quite entertaining watching an army pump out 3 turns worth of shooting to finally kill it... ^-^
well I have never had problems with them. They are to short ranged to do any damage, and they cost ALOT. It only takes 12 pulse and 12 kroot shots to bring the lot down. With some luck of course. Thats what my freind did. But I would agree once they are actually in range they can be nasty.

Its the transports filled with howling banshees that scare me

-Made by the awsome Photoshoper TchicoriTa
Closed Thread