Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Urgent Advice Needed!
Closed Thread
Old 16 Mar 2005, 02:36   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Urgent Advice Needed!

My friend and I are taking a Tau army to our first tourney tomorow. Pretty informal (cardboard tanks) 500 point games, but if anyone has a tip or two we wouldnt mind.
The opponents are mostly Chaos or Ork.
So far we know the following: subhead is very usefull, burstcannons are a must for orks, f-blasters and plasma rifles are good for heavy units (ugh, chaos termies).

We can field:
42 Firecaste/Gue'vesa
3 Crisis
1 Broadside
10 Kroot
1 Hammerhead
8 Gun Drones
3 Stealths

Just any quick tips would be welcome. Thanks all.
Old 16 Mar 2005, 02:50   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Urgent Advice Needed!

I'm definitely not the most experienced in playing in tau, but here are a few tips that might be useful.* First of all, unless you need something to fill some points, don't bring a squad of just 3 stealthsuits unless you have nothing better to spend 90pts. on.* also, when facing chaos space marines, I wouldn't take drones as there is virtually no chance that they would be pinned, and if your ork oppenent takes very large squads, the same would apply.* I would have your 3 crisis in fireknife configuration, unless your facing an ork oppenent that doesn't have many vehicles.* Points allowing, I would take a hammerhead over a broadside any day, even if the ork doesn't have many vehicles, as you can hit his squads with a pie plate each turn.* Since you don't have any devilfish, basically keep the firewarror at range with the kroot keeping the enemy away (although they might not do much against chaos space marines) and just use the humans wherever they seem useful, either shooting alongside ( but in front of) the firewarrior or holding the enemy back alongside the kroot.* Thats all of the advice I can think of.* Good luck with your tournament and please tell us the results.

Tau- 2000pts.
space marines- 500pts.
tyranids- 200pts. (battle for mccrage )
Lost and the damned- 300pts. (just started)

pm me if you play halo2 on xbox live!
Old 16 Mar 2005, 02:55   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Location: On the Outskirts of the Kindom of Daley...in other words, in a Chicago Suburb
Send a message via AIM to stealth_cat_xv88 Send a message via MSN to stealth_cat_xv88 Send a message via Yahoo to stealth_cat_xv88

yeah. and what about for your hq? i guess you'd just take one of the crisis suits as your hq.--don't field the remaining two as a bodyguard!!! just have them in their own squad. I'd drop the broadside, it won't do much for you. vs. a chaos opponent w/few vehics, i'd use an ion cannon instead of a railgun. Orks...railgun, obviously. So I'd definitely use the kroot and the commander and the hhead and throw in as many fire warriors as possible...crisis suits if you have points

hope that helps
"Strategy is finding an s-o-b whom you rank and telling him to take a place, and relieving him if he doesn't." ~General George Patton
Old 16 Mar 2005, 03:00   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

I would say take the Shas'el, two Crisis (as said before, NOT BODYGUARD), the HH, a squad of kroot and as many FW as you can fit in the remaining points. Try to keep the Crisis's as cheap as you can so you can fit more FW, and don't upgrade the HH too much either.

'course, I haven't really played that much Tau, but I know that the HH will definitely help against both armies, and maybe more.

"The ability to speak does not make you intelligent."

Current Armies: The Lone Wolves 2092 pts
Hive Fleet Basilisk 1601 pts
Old 16 Mar 2005, 03:05   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Location: On the Outskirts of the Kindom of Daley...in other words, in a Chicago Suburb
Send a message via AIM to stealth_cat_xv88 Send a message via MSN to stealth_cat_xv88 Send a message via Yahoo to stealth_cat_xv88

hmm...how bout this list?
hq-shas'el, fireknife
elite-1x crisis suit, (shas'ui) fireknife
12 fire warriors w/shas'ui upgrade
10 kroot
a hammerhead w/railgun and burstcannon
that's exactly 500 pts
"Strategy is finding an s-o-b whom you rank and telling him to take a place, and relieving him if he doesn't." ~General George Patton
Old 16 Mar 2005, 03:16   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

These kinds of tournaments are rough for Tau, due to restricting force organizational charts and where the power lies in the list. Some armies can take full advantage of this, such as Chaos, as their HQ and troops can be tooled to way too powerful levels for 500 points making them too dangerous. Orks can do similar as well, via Nobs protected by a mob of Boyz.

What can you do? Volume.

If you take a Crisis, I would whole heartedly recommend a single twin-linked weapon and a flamer (or anything else cheap 5~6 points). The idea is to try and make it as efficient as possible. If you take twinlinked missile pods, dedicate against vehicles until they're gone. Then harass the next relavent target. If you take twinlinked plasma rifles, go straight for the heart of the power armor. Now me personally, I don't like plasma in small games because plasma equiped suits are better in packs of 3 to be able to really decimate a squad in the shooting phase. A single plasma rifle will not be able to really bust those armors in enough volume before being hit back. So I would recommend a twin-linked Missile Pod setup with a flamer. Punch in the armor, and then just pick at everything from a distance. Accurate and strong will keep him in the game indefinately. If the only suit you take is your HQ, then disregard this and go fire-knife on a Shas'el to have a solid supporter.

As for the troops, I'd go for a thick squad of Firewarriors, and then either A) a bunch of the human aux's -or- B) a bunch of Kroot. You will need a large pack of meat just for the sole purpose of absorbing damage and just becoming a problem if it lasts long enough.

If you're not worried about powering up too much, the hammerhead is really beardy in 500 points, but an ion cannon hammerhead will make a mess of anything they field really and will ensure something happens each turn. The point is again to take something cheap that packs a punch that is useful and not overkill. Make it up with volume where possible.

I guess what I'm trying to say is this: Think of what a single plasma rifle can do, versus what 20 kroot will do at the same range. Think of what three twin-linked missile pods over a pack of crisis will do, versus what a single ion cannon will do.

Make sure not to take too many small squads. Small squads of Kroot are not very useful (a small squad of Firewarriors are more useful actually, or a squad of human aux's).

Example: 500 points.

HQ - Shas'el; Fireknife
Troop1 - Firewarriors x 12; Shas'ui
Troop2 - Kroot x 20
Heavy1 - Hammerhead; Ion; Burst Cannons; Multi-tracker; Decoy Launchers

Or you could go with Crisis instead, to avoid as much damage as possible:

HQ - Shas'el; Fireknife
Elite - Shas'ui; Twin-linked Missile Pods; Flamer
Troop - Firewarriors x 12; Shas'ui
Troop - Kroot x 12
Heavy - Hammerhead; Ion; BurstCannons; Multi-tracker; Decoy Launchers

Good luck tommorrow! Be sure to make us a nice battle report of how you fare
Old 16 Mar 2005, 19:28   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer

I'd go for Aunats first list, but depending if its more Orks or more chaos, for chaos go as is, but if more orks go for dropping a FW and a kroot for Rail on the HH, it'll pay dividends
Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
Old 18 Mar 2005, 03:24   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Thanks for the advice everyone, as it turns out the guy we were supposed to play with didn't show and we couldn't even get into the campaign :|.

On the upside, we grabbed a fish and a 'head, so now we can field 2 hammerheads (see below) and next time we'll be more than welcome if we bring a 1500 pt army, which is doable. Thanks for the tips, it should be great help in the future.

For the turret:
Take a gun drone disc, cuz a line from justa little wider than the engine to the front and razor/file it flat, then mount a landing gear in the groove you just made. put the two halves of the ion cannon (might not work on the RG) so that the base is the only part of the landing pad showing, and glue in place. Tada.
Old 18 Mar 2005, 03:43   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Sucks that he didn't show, but at least you got the second HH. And the HH with the Ion Cannon at 500 points is actually a pretty good idea, but I don't agree with the Twin-Linking weapons and Flamer, it just seems a bit of a waste, even though I know you're trying to be efficient.

"The ability to speak does not make you intelligent."

Current Armies: The Lone Wolves 2092 pts
Hive Fleet Basilisk 1601 pts
Closed Thread