Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

starting
Closed Thread
Old 22 Jul 2004, 04:10   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to ShadowMk3
Default starting

Well to start of my Tau army I bought a boxed Battle set 1st, just as I did with my Fantasy army.

I intend on having all the types of units in a reasonable numbers to have the choice of tropps when going to play a game ( if I want only Fire Warriors instead of some Kroots, I'll have enough models to do it. )

The only thing is how many of each suits should I get, Crisis and Broadsides.
I know I'll get 2 Hammerheads and eventually a 3rd to look nice overall ( or to play if I feel Tank frenzy ) and 2 devilfishs.

Crisis... if I play with 2 commanders with full bodyguards thats already 6 suits, + the possible elites.

Broadsides, well the easiest would be to make 9 to easily take the 3 Hvy support choice if wanted.

One more question, Heavy gun drones, are they planning doing special models for them or are the Forgeworld ones doing the job?
Old 22 Jul 2004, 04:52   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to Zedd
Default Re: starting

I would recommend against body guards for your Commanders, since they are pretty expensive. Also I would get just 1 Devilfish since your Fire Warriors are most effective if they don't move. I would get 6 Stealth suits for their mobility and excellent firepower, as well as the special rules against shooting at them. I recommend having a heavy Fire Warrior base instead of many elites and HS choices.
Old 22 Jul 2004, 06:45   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

By that Zedd means at least 36 FW's - and thats wot most Tau players swear by. I agree on the Stealth front that u have to have at least one whole squad...

Regarding the battlesuits i disagree with Zedd i have 2 commanders, Shas'o (Farsight) and Shas'el with 2 bodyguards for the Shas'o. Usually during a battle i play them as a unit of 4 with 6 drones for support (2 shield, 4 gun) - that way they become one very strong unit...

On the Devilfish front only have Devilfishes for Pathfinders cos u do not want to be moving ur FW's - basically they stand and shoot alongside the broadsides.

Regarding the heavy drones they r only available on forgeworld and most likely will ever only be available on Forgeworld
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tau-killer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Winston Churchill on 23rd August 1940
Never in the field of human satire were so many made to feel so humble by so much acid wit
GOT IT! Thatís the one. Just sums RJay up perfectly!
Old 22 Jul 2004, 07:42   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Well, id suggest at most 3 braodsides, and at least 3 crisis suits, to start with, but since you seem to have the money, (9 broadsides!!! how in the hell can you afford that???) do you really need to ask? And when may i ask would you'd need 9 boradsides anyways? I mean its just crazy .
Old 22 Jul 2004, 07:53   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

He has a point £135 on 9 models is abit much.

U should keep it down to maximum of three as The Orange said, really u'd only need 2 hammerheads too.

Id say 9 Crisis (2 elites plus commander and bodyguards) as well as the 6 stealth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tau-killer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Winston Churchill on 23rd August 1940
Never in the field of human satire were so many made to feel so humble by so much acid wit
GOT IT! Thatís the one. Just sums RJay up perfectly!
Old 22 Jul 2004, 09:16   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace

well i highly recommend stealthsuits for elites, maybe two full squads.. i dont think that commander and bodyguard is that good, because it negates the independent character rule.. unless of course the unit is a roaming one.. as for crisis suits as elites.. i'd say the most you'd want is one squad.. either 1 lone suit or a whole squad of 3..

troops

you'd mainly need more firewarriors, maybe 3 fw squads per kroot squad..

heavy - depends on how many points are available.. id prolly say 2 hammerheads, one with railgun and other with ion cannon..

heavy gun drones.. not a good idea.. reasons here http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=551.0 thanks to Lazy Drone's post

devilfish, you'd only need one for pathfinders and possibly a firewarrior squad that you want to make mobile (ideally it will have a lot of carbines.. whereas other units of firewarriors will only have pulse rifles)

and thats my 2 cents..
Old 13 Aug 2004, 01:10   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Jeremy

If u have that much money may i suggest ketting a barracuda! ;D
Old 15 Aug 2004, 04:08   #8 (permalink)
FireWarrior

its not a matter of how much money u hav its the matter of how you save and use it out :-\

Old 15 Aug 2004, 18:22   #9 (permalink)
GOD
Shas'El

It's been almost a month now. I'm guessing he already has it.

I never lose, I choose not to win.

There are two types of people, those who like chocolate and communists.

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol.
Closed Thread