Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

How to use pathfinders?
Closed Thread
Old 14 Mar 2005, 21:27   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Location: On the Outskirts of the Kindom of Daley...in other words, in a Chicago Suburb
Send a message via AIM to stealth_cat_xv88 Send a message via MSN to stealth_cat_xv88 Send a message via Yahoo to stealth_cat_xv88
Default How to use pathfinders?

In my last game (which i won, btw), i played chaos and i used my pathfinders. I had them in sum trees in front of my lines there were seven of them, 4 w/carbs and 3 w/rail rifles. Anyway, they had a bad first turn of shooting and then were promptly smashed by sum devvies and then assaulted by sum raptors cuz i guess i had them too far forward. So, how should I use pathfinders properly?
"Strategy is finding an s-o-b whom you rank and telling him to take a place, and relieving him if he doesn't." ~General George Patton
Old 14 Mar 2005, 21:38   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX
Default Re: How to use pathfinders?

Pathfinders generally do two things: They last the whole game, or are destroyed very quickly.

Their scouting ability and high priority status for victory-point seekers, generally cause them to be too close, too obvious and too aggressive to go unnoticed. However, I always separate mine so that they don't have their devilfish nearby. Then they take way less notice (for me, personally). Their Fish I generally just tag along with other units as a Fire Support or mobile bunker.

I generally pick a good spot and use my scout move to get there where possible. I'll also lose first turn to walk any further that I need to. I stay in cover as well where possible and just use my markerlights. Railrifles call way too much attention to the squad and will cause them to disappear too quickly for my tastes.

Just watch the in-game difference of how much attention they receive when they have and do not have railrifles. Also when they have and do not have their devilfish with them. Try not doing anything the first turn, versus doing something first turn. Little subtleties can make a difference if he doesn't notice their function right away. Many smart players always target pathfinders though as they know the unit is very expensive and an easy victory point win right away should they kill the team.
Old 14 Mar 2005, 21:57   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

First of all, they don't go out front. The free, pre-game move is misleading, but you want to set them up at the closest to thier maximum range as possible, especially if they have Rail Rifles. This is a long range unit we're talking abou tand they need to stay that way or else they get pounded.

Use them to mark for other units to hit on 2+ and the Rail Rifles will help in that cause. The Rail Rifles, you see, are to ensure kills if they hit. It's a 50% change to hit, but a S6 gun will almost always wound and the AP3 cancels armor even more often (in basic infantry models it's a guarantee). 3 shots like this doesn't seem like much, but if even half are successful at hitting, they'll most likely wound meaning 2 out of 8 Marinse on average will go down, also forcing a Pinning test. Markerlighting with the remainder to bring other weapons in with improved accuracy can then possible get that same Marine unit to below 25% forcing a Moral test. Depending on the numbers of casualties you inflict, other units can pick off the stragglers and at least manage to drop the same unit to below half if not eliminate it entirely. Marklighting to launch Seekers can really put the hurt on, killing off many tough models fast, although they are best for taking out vehicals.

Read the tactics article "Know Thyself" in the sticky on the main part of the forum. It's a real good starting place.

And ask lots of questions. There's lots of people with lots of ideas here and there's bound to be a few that suit your style of army and play.
3) Tau are a team: Stick together.

[size=8pt]40k v4.0 FAQs[/size]
[size=8pt]official Rail Rifle rules[/size]
[size=8pt]Forge World Rules and Models[/size]
[size=8pt]Crisis Configurations[/size]
[size=8pt]Gue'vesa: Tau Human Auxiliary rules[/size]
[size=8pt]Mechanized Tau Tactica[/size]
[size=8pt]TauOnline Tactica[/size]
Old 14 Mar 2005, 22:01   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Location: On the Outskirts of the Kindom of Daley...in other words, in a Chicago Suburb
Send a message via AIM to stealth_cat_xv88 Send a message via MSN to stealth_cat_xv88 Send a message via Yahoo to stealth_cat_xv88

great thanx ;D
"Strategy is finding an s-o-b whom you rank and telling him to take a place, and relieving him if he doesn't." ~General George Patton
Old 14 Mar 2005, 22:07   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I'm not a fan of RRs but do what AunLa said - use them to light up the havocs (CSM devastators) with their MLs while their RRs maybe pick off a couple in the process. Forget about the carbines and keep them as far as possible away. Don't kid yourself though, while the RRs can get some kills, the MLs in that squad are the real killers. 8)

Oh and use their DF for something useful... If you feel brave, try tankshocking back edge huggers right off the board. It works wonders on occassion and it a better use than just leaving that DF there to get shot up.

The general who wins a battle makes many calculations before the battle is fought. - Sun Tzu

I want to die in my sleep like my grandpa, not screaming in terror like the rest of the people riding in his car.
Old 14 Mar 2005, 22:17   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Yeah, the Rail rifles are there as an embelishment, but also dont' underestimate the S6 if you want to risk the TLI. I've taken out Drednoughts with them on lucky shots, but it meant that other units didn't have to deal with the Dred anymore...

Old 14 Mar 2005, 22:45   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Keep in mind the Rail Rifle was adapted from the computer game Fire Warrior.* It didn't get the dedicated balancing ( ) that most GW units and weapons receive, and suffers from that lack.
Old 14 Mar 2005, 23:52   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I would go down so far as to say "suffers", but it's definitely an odd weapon in an already odd unit. PFs arent' like any other unit in the game, so they are a tough nut to crack tactically.

Look The Guide to the Greater Good, [url=http://www.tauonline.org/tactics_knowyourself.php]Know Yourself, and the Mechanized Tau Tactica site..

After that, look into getting to know your enemies.

Keep in mind that although the concept of a Mechanized Tau army is pretty much the way to go under v4, it also makes you predictable, so a good coverage of tactics is a nice idea. You're covering that pretty well right now with a static line squad of FWs and all those Kroot.

Old 15 Mar 2005, 03:12   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer

Aun La, you know yourself is out of date, This is the new one.

I just go for whatever point on the bard has the best fire lanes, set up and mark, RR are worthless, you'd have to be very lucky to nuke a dread, 4's and 5's to glance on back and sides, 3 shots at BS3? nope.

and look over the Bible for more

also, Mech is the only way to go in V4, static is 100% predictable and only mech offers the flexibility and Tactical Prowess to compete. also any static elements that ght be needed to hold ground or such can be better dealt with by cheap and inexpensive kroot, part of the mecha codex outlined in the Bible.
Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
Old 15 Mar 2005, 14:07   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Jonathan

i don't like the path finders with a DF i think it is a waste and when i'm playing some one i normally ask and they normally allow me to not use the they must be in a DF rule' and instead they can infiltrate
Closed Thread