Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau measurements
Old 23 Aug 2007, 03:55   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to mr mekus
Default Tau measurements

hey guys, Tau need a definatve measurement system, and im proposing the base units of:

Length
Mass
Time
Temperature

IMHO
the time system mentioned in the codex can only really be applied to T'au itself.
hence why its called a Tau'cyr (cyr = cycle)

the time on Tau'n would be a Tau'n'cyr
D'yanoi would be D'yanoi'cyr
so forth and so on

as taken from the definative tau lexicon written by Genmotty; Raik means measurement of time,
Raik'an is 'seconds'
Raik'or is 'minutes'
not entirely sure on where he referenced these from :P

now the question remains, how many seconds in a minute?

I propose: (O=octal, D=decimal, it would be nice just to leave everything in octal but for convenience i will offer conversions)

O:100 (D:64) Raik'an to a Raik'or
O:100 Raik'or to a Raik'il and so on and so forth, how much a dec is, will depend on how long we determin a raik'an to be. then i can figure out the conversion values ;D

also referenced from the tau lexicon by Genmotty, is Tor'ils, Tor'kan and Tor'lek and though Tor means 'land' we wont take this as a literal meaning.
Suam means "heat" to do with fire
Nars means stone "heavy"

similer to our metric sytem...

'an = base unit
'or = *O:100 (D:64)
'il = *O:1000 (D:512)
'kan = *O:10 000 (D:4 096)
'lek = *O:100 000 (D:32 768)
'vas = *O:1 000 000 (D: 262 144)

note: computer programmers will see a pattern here ^^^ :P

Time= Raik, measured in Raik'an
Length= Tor, measured in Tor'an
Mass= Nars, measured in Nars'an
Temperature = Suam, measured in Suam'an

now all we need is to name the numbers
1: Mo (from Monat)
2: Do (extention on D for twin, duel, (rhymes with glow not two ))
3:
4:
5:
6:
7:
0:

we also need actual conversion values, like a Nars'an would weight how much grams?
any suggestions?

Thanks for reading

Old 23 Aug 2007, 04:04   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Ravager
Default Re: Tau measurements

As Ta'Ro'Cha translates roughly to three minds, one purpose (or soul-mind + purpose)
and we know that |Ta| = Soul, and |Cha| = Purpose, we may assume that |Ro| = 3.

And I think |D| is closer to meaning Twin/Pair than 2.

We have done the impossible... and that makes us mighty.
Firefly is pretty much made of Awesome, Funny, and Aww. Sometimes simultaneously. We'd better stop before we quote the entire script.
–tvtropes.org
Ravager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Aug 2007, 13:52   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Electric Current = Sho, measured in Sho'an
No that would be energy, like we messure Joules. P=e/t, Q=It

So the energy (Charge) of one electron is 1 Coulomb which is 1.6 (1d.p)X10[sup]-19[/sup].

So to find current (Amps), we would have to do some formula rearrangement:

Q=It --> I=Q/t So 1 'amp' in Tau is Sho'an/raik'an. However I have no clue as to how the Tau would write this mathematical operation.

[hr]

Now while Rav is right with |Ta'ro'cha| the trouble is that ro also appears in other words where the meaning '3' is non scenically;

|Doran'ro| ---> Calm mind...hence |Ro| refers to mind.
|Elan'ro| ---> Skull...

As I read that phrase: |Ta'ro'cha|: Composite Word; Meaning; “Soul mind purpose". The three is left out because Tau know what it means. Like Bitter Sweet, its a phrase with more than a meaning of its parts.

We don't have any names for the numbers, but we do have their symbol.

I do think you can take Mo to mean one because Monat refers more to an individual than a number.

I also think Luminosity is an iffy one to translate, because do you mean Irradience 'amount of power reaching a surface' Luminosity 'amount of energy transfered to the surface of an object or 'amount of energy a body radiates per unit time' or luminance '1 candela reaching a surface' (Where surface is an area).

Their are so many diffrent types of Luminescence and even in English the differences are tiny so to calculate for the Tau may be nigh on impossible.

All Tau measurements are presumed to be in Base-8.

Genmotty
Genmotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Aug 2007, 14:41   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

im with you Genmotty and see what you mean. i modestly agree with you. at the same time, sho may mean energy but that doesnt mean its refering to 'our' definition of energy if you get what i mean. plus i just tried to work with what was already established
i have had an idea, and think charge should be the base unit, and that amp and volt should be derived from it instead, but this is probably getting too technical for anyone to care.
Genmotty if your interested, PM me an we'll figure it out.

Really i spose we just need the numbers and the rest is just trivial.

yeh, i think its pretty much fact now that the tau use a base 8 octal system, it just makes sense ;D but its a hard concept for alot of people to grasp, so i always include conversions

true, Ro means mind. sorry Ravager Zero, thanks though

Old 23 Aug 2007, 19:40   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fio'O Fal'shia Bentu'ro Mekus

so forth and so on
I pretty much agreed with you till I read this part. I really don't think this would be right, you're telling me, with all their advanced technology, time has different names on each sept?

Time would remain Tau'cyr, IMO, but the length of it would change based on the planet its on, but I cannot see them changing the name, it would be like having Scotland using Elks instead of Hour, and Australia using Dongs. Just seems inefficient IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Aug 2007, 21:08   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Ravager

I understand guys, no need to apologise.
As for Luminosity, I would assume it to be similar in effect to cd/m[sup]2[/sup].
Energy (Amps, w/e) could be |shorak'an| concatenating |Sho| and |Raik|

I agree with Rafe about the year system.
Tau'cyr applies wherever you are, it's length changes, not name. (for example, how a Jovian Year is ~26 Earth Years)
Or, after undermining my own argument, maybe it does change slightly, such as a |Vior'la Tau'cyr|

Octal is just like counting in decimal. Without Thumbs. :P
Octal also works well with binary, becoming an 'Octal Triplet', or if Tau understand Hexadecimal (base-16), they'd then use 'Hex Quads'.

We have done the impossible... and that makes us mighty.
Firefly is pretty much made of Awesome, Funny, and Aww. Sometimes simultaneously. We'd better stop before we quote the entire script.
–tvtropes.org
Ravager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Aug 2007, 01:05   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Doombringer Send a message via MSN to Doombringer Send a message via Yahoo to Doombringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe
Time would remain Tau'cyr, IMO, but the length of it would change based on the planet its on
My only issue is coming up with standardization. I think the Tau would use a standardized, universal system (aka Tau'cyr) for dates, ages, databases, libraries, and such throughout the Empire, but would have a secondary, planetary designation (in order to find out the local planet's specific place in its solar revolution) that's just on the backburner...

"The nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors, will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." - Anonymous

"Doombringer, you are my hero." - Lord-General Thunder

Doombringer

Doombringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Aug 2007, 09:59   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Quote:

so forth and so on
I pretty much agreed with you till I read this part. I really don't think this would be right, you're telling me, with all their advanced technology, time has different names on each sept?

Time would remain Tau'cyr, IMO, but the length of it would change based on the planet its on, but I cannot see them changing the name, it would be like having Scotland using Elks instead of Hour, and Australia using Dongs. Just seems inefficient IMO.
ok yeh? so your saying when we inhabit mars that theyre going to have 365 days a year? instead of 687 days.

you cant deny that a day is the length of time taken for a planet to rotate on its axis, and that a year is the length of time it takes to complete one great big circle around a sun.
if Raik means time, then Cyr cant really mean the same thing, but it can mean Year/Cycle.

a Tau'cyr is a Tau'cyr, it doesnt change at all, not even the length, when it does change, you give it a new desination of the location for which it has changed for because a tau'cyr is 6 kai'rotaa right? and a kai'rotaa is? 80 rotaa. a rotaa, which is 10 decs.
it doesnt fully specify what a dec is, just says its light time or dark time? does that mean, 10 decs for day, 10 decs for night, 20 decs in a full day? or 1 dec is day, 1 is night, 1 is day, 1 is night. which would suggest T'aus ful days only last 3 hours. as aposed to 30 as is the case when you have 20 decs in a full day.

so if the days on Tau'n last 30 decs, thats 15 decs to a rotaa, which is 80 to a kai'rotaa. whch is 6 to a tau'cyr, you end up with a tau'cyr thats 50% longer then on T'au itself.
im not arguing against a universal time system that reverts back to T'au. which calculates the age of a tau, and things like that. just that each planet needs a local time of its own, otherwise nothing is going to make sense.
its not hard to automatically convert, when entering something into a database, the tau may put in the time and date of Tau'n, but it will list the time and date that it is on T'au itself instead. its a common fact that time is not universal, einstein realised this and humanity wasnt even hopping all about the universe. im sure the tau would have realised it also.

which, may i point out, is why the tau second (raik'an) needs to be derived from something other then one 60th, of one 60th of one 24th.

does anyone get this?

P.S. everyone, ive changed the thread a little bit, so some of our previous discussion will have been pointless :P sorry about that, but i realised that for fluff, no one is going to write equations in tau, really. it is something i will keep working on though

from now on it will be, Time, Length (these will give us speed by the way), Weight and temperature. unless you guys can think of stuff you generally want to know when writing fluff ;D

Old 24 Aug 2007, 10:24   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

so forth and so on

ok yeh? so your saying when we inhabit mars that theyre going to have 365 days a year? instead of 687 days.
Did you read what I put? I also bolded a key section to make it clearer.* :

I am with you on length changing, this is obvious. I was merely saying I think naming your year based on the planet, instead of just having it as a "year" was ineffiecient.

editored to remove some snappiness. Sorry Mekus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Aug 2007, 10:53   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:

Did you even read what I put? Not to mention, I bolded a key section to make it even clearer. :

I am with you on length changing, this is obvious. I was merely saying I think naming your year based on the planet, instead of just having it as a "year" was ineffiecient.
I apologise Rafe, i hope i didnt offend you in anyway , i did misunderstand you abit, but still i dont see how its inefficient, Cyr would mean year regardless. and instead of saying, for example, a year on Tau'n is 1 an a half years on T'au, they simply would put, Tau'n'Cyr. this would refer to the planet, so it would be much easier to communicate it.

"in the Tau'n'cyr of 3024 such and such discovered this and that"
instead of "in the Tau'cyr of 12306 on Tau'n, so it was the cyr 3024 such and such discovered blah blah"

once we can figure out the actual length of a second, we can figure out how many seconds in a day/2 decs (if my reasoning of what light time, dark time means is correct) there are on T'au !!!! which will give us a conversion rate

this better defines the word Cyr as cycle/year at the same time