Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Shas'ui in FOF
Closed Thread
Old 10 Mar 2005, 03:09   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Shas'ui in FOF

A question relating to army comp in 1000 and 1500 point lists: I see how the extra LD is worthwhile in footslogging units, especially with markerlights, but is the extra LD a high priority upgrade in mechanized lists where points are tight? I am not sure whether the amount of shooting casualties a unit like this sustains would be worth the expenditure. Comments?

Viva la feisty!
Old 10 Mar 2005, 03:13   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Khaldun
Default Re: Shas'ui in FOF

if the enemy shoots at the fw's after recieving some casualties (which happens more often than not because the enemy can't assault the fw's or destroy the fishes)
If you lose 3 fw's, thats a ld test. Getting back in the fish is very important, and I've found that extra ld to be worth every point when casualties are taken.
BONDING, however, is best left to units that are likely to take casualties but not be wiped out. Often, if the FoF fails, it fails badly enough to kill all the warriors anyway.
But just for the casualties taken after disembarking, yes, it's worth it.
Old 10 Mar 2005, 03:32   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

So the shas'ui is a worthwhile prospect then? I understand bonding is worthless, but the LD check is pretty much inevitable? What I'm getting from this is that I should expect 2-4 casualties as a minimum, even if the FOF goes well, and I'm going to make an LD check on at least one of the squads even if all goes well. Does that sound about right? Because as it stands I feel like the upgrade is worthwhile, but a couple more opinions would be nice.

Viva la feisty!
Old 10 Mar 2005, 04:06   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Shas'ui upgrades are vital for almost all lists... I'm sure there may be a reason not to out there, but I can't think of any that don't involve an Ethereal.

Shas'ui upgrades are even doublely important since there is no Ethereal (or is there in your list?).

Ld7 Tau = Ld6 Tau that fail and run after some casualties and let's face it, 4+ saves don't last forever.
Old 10 Mar 2005, 04:18   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

The tournament I'm playing in next has 2 Combat Patrol games (which I'm not too worried about as I won our last CP League rather handily after having missed the first 2 weeks) followed by 1000 point and a 1500 point battles with scenarios randomly drawn per table from the Baltimore GT list.

Viva la feisty!
Old 10 Mar 2005, 12:23   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Sounds interesting. I would definitely take the 'ui upgrades (I also believe in ethereals whole heartedly but probably wouldn't buy one for a sub-1000 pt list).

Be prepared to be disappointed by the GT scenarios - while some of them are fine, a few are just plain broken as written: If you draw the "Hold at all costs" scenario pray you're the attacker - otherwise the scenario is almost impossible to win as written (your opponent can come in on any table edge and theoretically can start within 24" or less of your entire army. That's a first turn assault for tyranid.

The general who wins a battle makes many calculations before the battle is fought. - Sun Tzu

I want to die in my sleep like my grandpa, not screaming in terror like the rest of the people riding in his car.
Old 10 Mar 2005, 20:26   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer

Shas'Ui are manditory, no question, FoF or not.

bonding is indeed trash as if the squad is below 50% a good bet is theyve lost the fish and are thus pretty much gone.

got the list so we can see how tight the points are?
Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
Closed Thread