Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Stealth - Always So?
Old 14 Aug 2007, 19:14   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Stealth - Always So?

hail fellow ethereals....

last weekend i played a battle against ulthwe (i won with a massacre result) yet i was (and still am) unsure about something that popped up during battle.

my opponent had 3 vibro cannons and in a particular turn he targeted my stealth. he was circa 24'' away. now, as you all know stealth have the stealth field but my question is:

since eldar codex says that vibro cannons need not target/choose an enemy unit to shoot but just draw a line (no LOS Needed ) does the stealth field automatically fail as the enemy is not chosing the stealth as a target?

would apprecaite veteran response on this.

thanks

Old 14 Aug 2007, 19:22   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to gerrylum
Default Re: Stealth - Always So?

Sounds like the stealth field is ineffective against that weapon. If they don't need to target the Stealth squad to use it, the stealth rules never even come into play.
Old 14 Aug 2007, 19:27   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge

The wording of the V cannon is that you pick a target point, rather than unit. If the Line drawn hits the stealth unit, they do take damage, sadly being hard to see has no effect on this, as it targets a point on the table, not a unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Aug 2007, 19:29   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

It was not really the best-written weapon in that book. It should still have required a target, and then hit everything in between. But the rules about Stealthsuits and ICs are supposed to be a function of the firing unit's ability to see the target, not a property of the weapon itself. But as it stands, there is no protection from Vibrocannons.

They are still balanced, though. Despite their pretty amazing effects, they seem to get picked over in favor of the other Heavy Support choices.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Aug 2007, 19:43   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Yes the Stealth ability fails as the V.Cannon isn't actually supposed to target units. The V.Canon just shoots in some direction and hits everything (even their own Eldar units ) to a predetermined spot. IIRC in the 2nd or 3rd edition version the V.Cannon just shot to the end of the table. It is after all an earthquake gun, so precision isn't really needed.
Old 15 Aug 2007, 00:46   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default what about hammer heads vs vibros?

so, 1st of all thanks for your replies. i agree with contents (regretfully)

now, considering it shocks the earth like an earthquake are h/heads and pirahnas (skimmers) effected too as they do not touch the ground right? >
Old 15 Aug 2007, 01:34   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

That would make sense, but that is not how it is written. I guess you could say that the vibration is an air wave rather than a ground wave, although to be honest the weapon never really made a lot of sense in the first place.
Old 15 Aug 2007, 01:40   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

I think it just shakes everything in front of it. :P
It makes sense that it can hit them, I mean not being able to shoot at a stealth unit doesn't necessarily mean you don't know that they're there, just that you can't aim at them properly. If you have a weapon that effects everything in that vague direction stealth isn't gonna help ya.
Old 15 Aug 2007, 01:44   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

But that isn't how vibrocannons work. The Stealthsuits could be behind a wall or deep within a forest and the vibrocannons could still nail them. The stealthsuits are one thing, but they don't even have to see that much. It would make sense if they could disregard the spotting check. But in practice, they just know where you are somehow. Chalk it down to being Eldar, I suppose.
Old 15 Aug 2007, 01:55   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khanaris
But that isn't how vibrocannons work. The Stealthsuits could be behind a wall or deep within a forest and the vibrocannons could still nail them. The stealthsuits are one thing, but they don't even have to see that much. It would make sense if they could disregard the spotting check. But in practice, they just know where you are somehow. Chalk it down to being Eldar, I suppose.
I guess that wasn't a reply to me, as we seem to agree?