Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau Customs and traditions.
Closed Thread
Old 08 Mar 2005, 21:46   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Tau Customs and traditions.

I am interested in writing fluff and I am eager to get at it but I am still awaiting my codex in the mail. (so soon it will come I can taste it ::drool: But I know that it doesn't speak about some things in there and I have no clue where to look for actually literature on the tau. Like do they salute? Do they have people stuck in the army that don't want to be there? If it is a caste system can people switch castes? General stuff like that. If you guys can give me any input or if we can come to a consensus it would be great because I don't want to write something totally off base or wrong just to look at it and shake my head. (even though it happens) Thanks guys.
Old 08 Mar 2005, 21:54   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to AvalonSurfer739
Default Re: Tau Customs and traditions.

The Tau fight for the Greator good. They join together and fight as one for their cause. They believe that it is their time and they fight for the sake of the galaxy.They are a peaceful race but still fight fiercly for their cause. The Tau are very young compared to the other races (Only 2000 years old). The Tau have no physcic abilities but they are highly advanced in technology. The Tau are known to be honoroble warriors. They are basicly based off of Samurai's

-Made by the awsome Photoshoper TchicoriTa
Old 09 Mar 2005, 00:06   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer

they are strict castes, oswapping
so I'd imagine there would be people who dont want to be there, but they do it for the greater good (henceforth I shall refer to this as FTGG :P)
Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
Old 09 Mar 2005, 00:40   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Location: On the Outskirts of the Kindom of Daley...in other words, in a Chicago Suburb
Send a message via AIM to stealth_cat_xv88 Send a message via MSN to stealth_cat_xv88 Send a message via Yahoo to stealth_cat_xv88

right; they'd put aside their individual preferences for the Greater Good of their race

and i agree w/AvalonSurfer they do seemed to be based off of japanese culture
"Strategy is finding an s-o-b whom you rank and telling him to take a place, and relieving him if he doesn't." ~General George Patton
Old 09 Mar 2005, 00:42   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer

read the WD article where they premiered, it said as much, they took the design influence form manga :P
Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
Old 09 Mar 2005, 00:53   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to AvalonSurfer739

I know really. Just look at their Crisis suits.They're basiclly gundams

-Made by the awsome Photoshoper TchicoriTa
Old 09 Mar 2005, 04:42   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

hay whene will the new dex be out ???
Old 09 Mar 2005, 05:48   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I like gundams. Maybe thats why i like the Tau so much. :P Cool Cool. :P I was wondering if the kroot really want to fight for the Tau. Or do they do it because they dont want to die? I know that the Tau helped them against orcs and all but that was a while ago. Do you think they are getting restless?
Old 09 Mar 2005, 05:54   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Here's what I know. As said, heavy on the Japanese influence. One of the reasons I picked No, you can't switch out of your caste. As refrenced in Fire Warrior (A book i recommend picking up. Not only for the good read, but for the insight into Tau culture.), breeding amongst the castes is strictly forbidden. It also mentions in Fire Warrior that breeding partners are selected by a third party. Quite literaly, the Tau are designing their race. This third party (forgive me, i can't remember the exact refrence) decides which two Tau would produce the best offsrping. I believe this is called Eugenics, though don't quote me on that.

Another note on the castes. They aren't 'castes' like we would understand. The castes are more like... sub-species. Each caste has specific abilities and identifying features. Fire caste (Shas) are stockier than any of the other 4, are stronger and are, more than likely, more agressive. Air caste (Kor), on the other hand, are taller than any of the others and are said to have a membrane like attachment under their arms that form what appear to be 'wings'. Whether or not they can, in actual fact, fly with these is unknown to me. They have also spent so much time in space that their muscles and bodies can no longer stand gravity for prolonged periods of time. Which means, they prefer orbital stations to open plains.

It is concievable that their are those who do not wish to be where they are, who they are and what they are. Just as there are those people in our species and culture(s). But the Tau value dedication to the Tau'va, the Greater Good. Some people have compared them to a Communism. Personally, I feel this is untrue. There are distinct classes within Tau society and diffinitive ranks. This excludes Communism by principle alone. They are, however, a Meritocarcy, as far as I can tell. In effect, those that give the most to society are awarded the most. Dedication to the Greater Good and clear demonstration of ability is rewarded with promotion. But each an every member of society is valued for his or her contribution, no matter how small it may seem.

The Kroot fight for the Tau because they value the Tau's strength and hope to one day be like them and also owe them a debt for the help the Tau gave the Kroot. They fight because they're scrappers. I don't believe they are getting restless, though they are pulling some fast ones. Since the Tau are 'civilised' and don't go in for the whole 'eat the dead thingies', the Kroot have largely been forced to stop that. But the Shapers, being the ubery cool semi-rastas they are, realise that the Kroot need to eat stuff in order to evolve and become stronger. So, they sell their services as Mercenaries. Different Kindreds (kroot clans) spend time off world, then return for a big pow-wow on Pech. After they share what they've learnt, a different Kindred is sent off world for a number of years. The Tau are starting to wise up to the whole thing, but haven't quite figured it all out just yet.

That's all I have for now. If you have more questions, go ahead and ask. I'll share what I know, as will others. Oh! And as an aside, the Tau are 6000 years. If I understand how I read the codex, it has been about 2000 years since the castes were united by the Ethereals. But the Imperium encountered the Tau over 6000 years ago. Well.... ago if we were in the 41st millenium

- T
Old 09 Mar 2005, 08:09   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

I dont believe the kroot were forced to stop eating the dead. The Tau dont like it and hope to stop the practice through example, but they havent stoped kroot from doing it. Other books that include Tau are "Kill Team" (a piece of junk IMO), and For the Emperor (An IG novel but not too bad on thier portraial of Tau). Both actually have kroot eating dead. In the first a shaper, IIRC, saved the brain of a enemy commander that he respected. In the other the Kroot try some tyranid flesh, spitting it out saying it was "tainted".