Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Vespid vs genestealers???
Old 03 Aug 2007, 19:20   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Vespid vs genestealers???

i play a static tau army and my friend plays an all genestealer army. here my list

1 shaper and 9 kroot with 8 kroot hounds

10 kroot with a krootox

(all of my friewarrior squads are set to have a markerlight)
12 firewarriors with a devilfish

6 firewarriors

6 firewarriors

3 stealth suits, one with fusion blaster

1 sniper drone team

1 hammerhead (which i am considering giving an ion cannon for the lower cost, good ap, and number of shots)

1 pirahna with fusion blaster

1 shas'o commander with plasma rifle and burst cannon

1 shas'vre bodyguard with missle pod and burst cannon

this also happens to be everything i own, lol, and i am thinking of giving my army a little more diversity. i play my friend (who uses an all genestealer army) very often, and i am tryin to find a very effective way to deal with the little buggers.

i'm not goin to tell you his list because, duh, he uses an all genestealer army. but he also gives them the upgrade to where there save is 4+. and since i play static tau, i was wondering how some vespid would work here.

if i used some markerlights to get them to BS5 they would be effective right? they would negate the save, but am i wondering if vepids are worth their point cost. i could bring in some flexible crisis instead of them or get some pathfinders or something.

so my question is this does the fact the vepid weapons negate the genestealers' save jusitfy their point cost?

thanks in advance, cheers ;D

(\_/) this is bunny
(0.o) please copy and paste this into your sig and
'(__)' help him achieve world domination
malay melee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Aug 2007, 19:27   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Vespid vs genestealers???

A Hammerhead Railgun Submunition shot is going to be your best bet. Crisis Suits with Missile Pods are going to be next in line. Vespid would be a poor choice against Genestealers.
"i like to think of playing against my list as being like punching jelly. you put all your effort in but it just moves out of the way and you cause no damage. then your arm is covered in jelly. and the chicks come out and start wrestling in the jelly, and i drink a beer with stone cold steve austin, and we watch the chicks jelly wrestling, and then the slap-bass funk starts wakka chakka wakka wakka woh" -- Spooky, describing Mech Tau

"You can of course make a list that attempts to work via fragility and easy VP donation and Pathfinders fit into that just fine." -- kai
T0nkaTruckDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Aug 2007, 19:34   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Gada Mazaha Send a message via MSN to Gada Mazaha

I don't think they are a poor choice, just not the best one you can make. Vespid are very fast and able to respond to threats around the board. They could work against Genestealer very well, but with the short range of the Vespid guns, if you don't kill all of the ones you were shooting at you will be assaulted next turn.
Gada Mazaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Aug 2007, 19:43   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

well theres my problem, im low on funds. i only have one hammerhead and only two crisis suits. so i thought i could instead use a full squad of vespid with BS5 (from markerlights) instead.

can someone give me a cheap (point and real money) way to tackle genestealers when they have the upgrade that gives them a better save?

(\_/) this is bunny
Old 03 Aug 2007, 19:54   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Viorlakaisshi

I would go with another crisis suit, not only is it cheaper (real money, don't have codex on me so not sure about points) but it is more flexible. If you magnetize the weapons or use some other way to switch guns then it can be used against all types of armies.

Credit for my sig goes to The Immortal Black Mage

Viorlakaisshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Aug 2007, 19:57   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Gada Mazaha Send a message via MSN to Gada Mazaha

Well, since Vespid are $30 US, I would suggest saving $10 more and buying a HammerHead. Genestealer armies have a ridiculous amount of trouble with skimmers.
Gada Mazaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Aug 2007, 20:02   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

i guess crisis suits are more flexible, but how much flexibility do you need against an army of all one type of unit? ??? ??? ???

and about the magnets...

are there any threads on how to use/put on magnets? i am thinking about getting a skyray because i heard you can convert it to a hammerhead easily. i have a hammerhead already, so can i convert it into a skyray?

i know that last part doesnt have anything to do with the topic but i am low on funds and trying to get the most bang out of my buck

(\_/) this is bunny
Old 03 Aug 2007, 20:19   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

The fact that he gives all his stealers Extended Carapace means that you are one step closer to victory because he lacks what is needed to make the all-genestealer army effective - numbers.

The best thing I can offer is that you need to make him take saves as much as possible.* A 4+ save is not that great and if he is a smart player, he will be using cover to the utmost to get cover saves or block line of sight.* That means using weapons that negate the save are not as important as volume of fire.* Here is what I would recommend you take based on what you have listed:

- Hammerhead - this is a no-brainer - keep the railgun for the submunition
- ALL your firewarriors - get that rapidfire going
- Crisis Suits - I would recommend the CIB if you can get it one one - rate of fire is what you are after.
- Stealths - these could be risky, but give you a larger number of shots.

I think that you could take him with what you have.* If you can change the piranhas to have burst cannons, those would be better. This is what I would recommend to do in the game:

1.* Go heavy to one side if he stretches his units across the board.* Deploy on the opposite side if you see him piling the majority onto one flank.* Make him cover as much ground as possible to get to you.

2.* Limit his paths of movement though setting up firing lanes.* Unless he is a poor player, he will know that he cannot march his 20+ point models down those lanes and hope that he lives.*

3.* Use skimmers to block assault.* Something that your piranhas will do well is hold a unit, even if it goes down.* They will only hit on 6's and then have to roll another 5 or 6 to glance.* If they down the skimmer, he will be flatfooted for the rest of your army to shoot at.* If the skimmer lives (which would be amazing...), you can simply pull away and shoot them down.* Coordination will be important here as you need the firepower to take down the assaulting unit, otherwise this is a useless tactic.

4.* Rely on your tanks.* Genestealers are simply not a good way to take down skimmers.* I would actually recommend taking flechettes on all of them and daring your opponent to assault.* I know that I would think twice and then feel that I am forced to when presented with the opportunity because I have nothing else to do against the skimmer.* Genestealers hitting the front of a Devilfish or Hammerhead is just not an effective way to take them down.* This is even assuming you put them in harm's way.* With your tanks you have the option to keep them at bay for the whole game.

I play a pseudo-all-stealer army and I know that fast moving skimmers are just plain hard to take down.* My friend always takes a Falcon that cranks out ~11 shots per turn and it can be a real headache. :P* I have not faced a Tau player with my list and I would be concerned if I had to because of all the things that I mentioned.* The ability to keep me out of assault would really frustrate me.* If you can do this, you are well on your way.

Hope this helps.* Enjoy.
77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Aug 2007, 20:24   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

that makes sense, even if he could easily destroy my skimmers, doesnt really matter if he cant get to them

good advice mate ;D

(\_/) this is bunny
Old 03 Aug 2007, 23:00   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

if you need a new skimmer get the sky ray it has the bits to build all of them but a pirahna....
foreign fighter is offline   Reply With Quote