Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

My first real 500 point game
Old 02 Aug 2007, 19:27   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default My first real 500 point game

Hi everyone-

So I'm relatively new here, just joined into this sect called the Tau, of the Cult of 40k. I just wanted to post my first game on here, against my friend who fielded a Tyranid army (and is very proud of them). The game was 500 points, 6 rounds, and just a death-match type game. The forces for the game were:

Tau:
Fire Warriors x 10 (with leader and 1 drone)
Fire Warriors x 10 (with leader and 1 drone)
Devilfish (transport for one of the squads above, with BC, missiles, and TA)
Commander battlesuit (DL missile pods, plus other equipment/weapons that escapes my memory right now)

Tyranids (I dont know the official names of these, so i apologize in advance):
Warriors x 5 (not sure of their official name or what upgrades they possessed)
Gaunts x 12 (the ballistic ones, though not sure about the number or upgrades)
Guants x 12 (the melee ones, again not sure about their number or upgrades)

We played on a 6x4 field, with three pieces of terrain, two of which were open buildings (think of a hollowed and gutted factory shell with no doors), and a standard solid building. Winning initiative, I went first.

First round, I set up one squad to do the fish of fury move (i think thats what its called, letting the devilfish provide cover), and proceeded to let my FW's open fire. Rolls were close to horrid, and I only took out one guy. The second squad of FW was out of sight of anything, so they just crept forward a little. My commander jumped up onto one of the buildings, and then proceeded to fire on the group of melee gaunts with the missile pods, and miss every shot (I kid you not, I rolled four 1's in a row). During the assault, the commander just jumped a little bit forward to get better LOS, and my turn ended there.

His first round, sends forward his guys, having them use Fleet of Foot (or whatever the tyranid version is called), and has his ballistic gaunts fire at my men hiding behind the fish. Now, here's a question, he stated that since his HQ had Synaptic something, they ignore the rule requiring them to check for target selection, since the fish was in the way, is that true? Anyways, he took a few shots, took out three of my guys, and moved everyone forward. Luckily, his forces rotted on their extra movement rolls so i was safe for another turn.

The next few rounds involved the devilfish and its squad taking down the ballistic gaunts, and the remainder of his forces running into my other FW squad (since the commander was nicely on top of a building, and they had nothing to reach him with). While I wish I remembered the full stats of the game, in the end, I had lost one FW squad (the one near the commander), and half of the squad with the devilfish. The fish itself and the commander were unharmed. His forces were whittled down to four melee gaunts, which ended up chasing my lost FW squad off the board.

And such was my first game. Just wanted to say thanks to everyone on here, since I'd been reading tactics and ideas from the forums and greatly attribute my victory to everyone here. Hopefully once my units are up and painted in the next week or so, I'll be posting them on here. Until then, best wishes.

-TT
TTKoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Aug 2007, 08:08   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: My first real 500 point game

A good victory for the greater good, and welcome to the tau army and forums.

Your list looks solid and powerful, as the tyranids realized when they fought you.
As luck was against you and you still managed to pull off a solid victory it proves that you have the makings for a great player.

The Tyranids Synapse does augment the nearby gaunts, making them fearless, but i cant recall if it makes them pass the priority test.

Best of luck in your upcoming battles and painting TTKoshi.
Korill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Aug 2007, 16:50   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

cool, i'll tell you i never won my fist game. i got raped by marines. none the less. you held out against tyranids. i don't know too much about them but i'm sure they still have to roll priority tests. i think the synapse just works for morale.
[img width=650 height=74]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x38/Majonga/sig.jpg[/img]
majonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Aug 2007, 17:10   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to gerrylum

I would be surprised if the Synapse power allows him to ignore priority tests. I think he got a few bonus kills off of you that way.
Old 03 Aug 2007, 17:19   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to razgriz_cipher

Synapse does not allow you to skip target priority tests. Congratulations on your win. Looks like the enemy did not have any good anti tank weapons? I hate it when other tyranid players cheat on new players just because they can.
Old 03 Aug 2007, 21:34   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Nicely done. If you sign up for the campaign your first win can help the Tau cause in the Golgothan Sector. If you want advice for expanding your army, just ask as there are a lot of very knowledgeable Tau players here.

Commander Scoutfox
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Aug 2007, 15:45   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoutfox
Nicely done. If you sign up for the campaign your first win can help the Tau cause in the Golgothan Sector. If you want advice for expanding your army, just ask as there are a lot of very knowledgeable Tau players here.

Commander Scoutfox
ok, so how do i do that? I've seen something on here, but can you tell me what I do? And what's the point of registering? Thanks for the info everyone!
TTKoshi is offline   Reply With Quote