Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Aun'shi
Closed Thread
Old 07 Mar 2005, 11:21   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Aun'shi

In the codex it says that Aun'shi has Strength 3 and Weapons which are fixed. The it says the honour blade gives +2 strength. But if its fixed wouldn't the stats say 5?

Because a standard Aun has Strength 3...

This might have been asked before so I also want to know if the Aun'shi is worth having in larger armies? Because it seems more worth the points than the Farsight.
Old 07 Mar 2005, 11:30   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX
Default Re: Aun'shi

Aun'Shi's strength is a base of 3, augmented to 5 with the honor blade. This has no impact on the game really, but for standards, they do this because of all the things out there that augment strength via "doubling" it, in which case if he had 5 strength listed thanks to the honor blade, it would be 10 if doubled. This of course is of no reason to even consider because Tau do not have power fists, but it's just to show how the standard is in place to show the base strength before mods.

For you, he's Strength 5, but think of it like this: 3(5)

Aun'Shi is cool, but only for his rule that allows him to keep a firewarrior team under his wing, and even with a single man, they still count as a full squad for holding objectives and all that (very helpful!). Plus he has an actual save. But his combat abilities aren't worth using as an independent character, he'll get his butt handed to him there even with the little guys.
Old 07 Mar 2005, 11:45   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalVeauX
Aun'Shi is cool, but only for his rule that allows him to keep a firewarrior team under his wing, and even with a single man, they still count as a full squad for holding objectives and all that (very helpful!). Plus he has an actual save. But his combat abilities aren't worth using as an independent character, he'll get his butt handed to him there even with the little guys.
So for a 1000pt army would he be a wise choice for my HQ? or would you personally go for someone else?
Old 07 Mar 2005, 13:34   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Nono, that army is much to small, I won't even use him in my 1500 point army. Maybe a 2000, but with the new intependant Char rules he's not nearly as nice anymore..
And service to the tau'va.
Old 07 Mar 2005, 16:20   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Trust me: Use the model as a regular ethereal. Friends don't let friends play with Aun'shi.

The general who wins a battle makes many calculations before the battle is fought. - Sun Tzu

I want to die in my sleep like my grandpa, not screaming in terror like the rest of the people riding in his car.
Old 07 Mar 2005, 18:04   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Dont' forget that he also proivide a +1A and +1I to the unit he's with if they assault and he needn't be in base contact with enemy models to use his Honor Blade. The bit where he's been cobbled the most in terms of his Parry ability. Now he can only Parry another Character that he is in B2B with.

What I see happening is this: He joins a unit, they all charge in with him brining up the rear. He gets his S5 attacks regardless of whether he gets into B2B or not and if there are any enemy Characters in the assaulted unit, they are likely to be saved in favor of other models being take off as casualties. Then, on Pile In moves, Aun'shi makes his 6" hop to get into contact with that enemy Character, negating his attacks in subsequent rounds of combat with his Parry ability. I could see this working decently against IG or Orcs. If you don't want that Boss Nob with a Power Klaw slicing through your squad, assault the mob after shooting them up a bit and then tie down the Boss Nob with Aun'shi by giving up all of his attacks for the Parry.
3) Tau are a team: Stick together.

[size=8pt]40k v4.0 FAQs[/size]
[size=8pt]official Rail Rifle rules[/size]
[size=8pt]Forge World Rules and Models[/size]
[size=8pt]Crisis Configurations[/size]
[size=8pt]Gue'vesa: Tau Human Auxiliary rules[/size]
[size=8pt]Mechanized Tau Tactica[/size]
[size=8pt]TauOnline Tactica[/size]
Old 07 Mar 2005, 19:43   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to AvalonSurfer739

There are disadvantages to joining an Ethereal to a squad. I read about a battle one time were there was an Ethereal in a squad of FW.Guess what, the enemy concentrated almost all of his fire on that squad killing everything, including the ethereal. Then he failed most of his "Price of Failure tests" and lost

-Made by the awsome Photoshoper TchicoriTa
Old 07 Mar 2005, 20:11   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer

that could happen, and is highly likely yes.

Remember peppers words well, Freinds dont let Freinds play with Aun'Shi

he has the amazing ability to get a squad killed, not much else is better than a regular Aun :P
Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
Old 07 Mar 2005, 20:26   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvalonSurfer739
There are disadvantages to joining an Ethereal to a squad. I read about a battle one time were there was an Ethereal in a squad of FW.Guess what, the enemy concentrated almost all of his fire on that squad killing everything, including the ethereal. Then he failed most of his "Price of Failure tests" and lost
The key one in your sentence is a battle. Try asking anyone who uses an ethereal on a regular basis if they lose him often and you'll see how rarely that it actually happens and how often it results in failure. If you don't do something stupid, it's tough to kill him and even if he dies, he's caused the enemy to waste a lot of energy to kill approximately 170 pts of your army (FWs plus the ethereal although normally I'd just leave him by himself but close to a troop since there's no point in not taking advantage of the IC rule).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy
that could happen, and is highly likely yes.
Could happen? Yes. Highly likely? Absolutely not. Each of your units has a 72+% chance of passing morale assuming you've got shas'ui in your troops (if you don't you deserve to fail morale ). That means one out of four troops will fall back and unless you're playing against the back board edge 72% of them will regroup the next turn. Having your whole army run off the table is in the "incredibly unlikely" range. Let's not try to scare people with remote possibilities. :P

The general who wins a battle makes many calculations before the battle is fought. - Sun Tzu

I want to die in my sleep like my grandpa, not screaming in terror like the rest of the people riding in his car.
Old 07 Mar 2005, 20:34   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer

do you play against good opponents pepper? I do.

If I take an etheral it is dead. and quite a few armies have means to make squads check on -1 Ld (not that they get close to my fishes but we must assume static or hybrid for taking an etheral sanely).

and dont bank on abslute percentages, luck is a factor and so is the state of the dice :P, ever left your dice in a warm place?
Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
Closed Thread