Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Auxiliaries
View Poll Results: How Many Auxiliaries do you use in a 2000 point game?
none, pure Tau 14 22.95%
1 Squad 14 22.95%
2-3 Squads 26 42.62%
4-5 Squads 6 9.84%
Almost my entire army! 1 1.64%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01 Aug 2007, 15:26   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Auxiliaries

Having just finished my first 1500 points of pure mechanized Tau I am looking to expand my force for Apocolypse. Reading the Tau fluff their battle doctrine seems to involve extermly fast mechanized forces operating around slow auxiliary battle lines. So, including Humans, Kroot and Vespid, how many do you use in a 2000 point game?
Old 01 Aug 2007, 15:31   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Tralfagar Send a message via MSN to Tralfagar Send a message via Yahoo to Tralfagar
Default Re: Auxiliaries

In a 2k game, I'd have one unit of Kroot, and depending on how they're working either another one, or a unit of vespids. But it'd probably be another kroot ^-^
Codex: Farsight Enclaves(me)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekyGator
The divide between what gets put up on an art gallery and what gets you thrown in jail is mostly dependent on the quality of the frame, even though both are just as good for fapping.
Tralfagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Aug 2007, 16:05   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to TimberwolfCY Send a message via MSN to TimberwolfCY Send a message via Yahoo to TimberwolfCY

Well, my Kroot lately have been proving to be an extremely intimidating Assault-deterent (I put them right next to my fire base in cover and suddenly no one wants to assault me...), so definitely a squad of them. I play Hybrid with a strong Static leaning, so my next Auxiliaries choice would probably be a FULL unit of Vespids. Given Markerlight support and correct timing and distance, they are exceedingly lethal to MEq assaulters. However, I've only ever played like, 1 or 2 2000 pt games, so I'd be building that list on almost all theory; but then, what isn't theory if it isn't practice...?
"They got ded big shooty gunz dat'll kill tons of boyz, but if yer can get near em den you've got a chance. Just gotta make sure you bring loads of boyz, coz you ain't gonna have a whole lot left when you get close enough to crump em." - Warloard Skarmork, The Great Despoiler
TimberwolfCY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Aug 2007, 16:56   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I go with an auxiliary-heavy army for fluffy reasons. 1 or 2 of Kroot, 2 Gue'vesa, 1 Vespid at higher point levels like 2000.

TO'TAU'VA T'GUE'HE TO'CYR'HE
Kasrkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Aug 2007, 16:57   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

I was working on a 400 pt combat patrol list that had to be expanded to a 500 point satndard list because it was hard to convince anyone to play under the "restrictive" combat patrol rules. I have 1 squad of human auxilaries and the ratio looks about right. If I expand the army I would include some type of auxilary for every 500 points. a big squad of kroot would be my next two choices, and just for fun a few vespids would be my last choice.
Old 01 Aug 2007, 19:38   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I like the clean look of Tau, so I only have the kroot simply as an infiltration deterrent. I've never really seen the use of them beyond that, as I'd rather just get more big guns...
Originally Posted by Faolin
"Human nature" only prevents a better future if we accept it as unchangeable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechTau
Shasocastris, since my return to these boards, nothing has made a bigger impression than you and your views.
shasocastris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Aug 2007, 22:37   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

In 2000 points I usually run 2 squads of 10 kroot, mostly to protect my broadside and fire warriors on foot from assault and to give me a sort of battle line for my devilfish to work around.
shaso_montyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Aug 2007, 00:02   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I love auxillaries! And my girlfriend loves the Kroot, so it's a win-win situation!

I'd field a squad or two of Kroot, plus a squad of gue'vesa counting-as Fire Warriors (all equipped with pulse rifles.) When Apocalypse comes out, I plan on getting a Greater Knarloc.
I picture the Ethereal looking out the window of the Devilfish from his seat: "Hey this isn't the way to Applebee's?! Where are you guys taking...Aw man, a battle?! Aw, you guys are total dicks, I swear! I'm still wearing my bathrobe! Can I at least have a gun? What do you mean you don't have any extra? What should I do, hit Khorne Berzerkers with my symbol of office? Man, you're gonna be sorry if I die... dicks."
Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Aug 2007, 00:13   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I usually have 2 Kroot and a Vespid... but I might be switching to Farsight which means they might be leaving. On a side note, How effective are the Human Auxillaries?

"...If he's right about the melons, he's right about the bears!"-NPC from Inquisitor
Siric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Aug 2007, 02:39   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Siric, Gue'vessa can be very effective. For 36 points you can have a scoring unit, that can just sit on an objective. For 56 points you can have a cheap way to field markerlights. So, they have their uses. I like them for the potential for conversion more than tactical superiority.

As for the poll; I have never played a 2000 point game, I'm usually at 1500. In 1500 points I have two squads of Kroot, but in higher point games I would add another squad and possibly some Vespid and Gue'vessa, so I voted for the 4-5.

Commander Scoutfox
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote