Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau vs. Eldar
Old 01 Aug 2007, 03:11   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via AIM to General-Hoth
Default Tau vs. Eldar

Hi,

My Friend Plays Eldar and i am having issues beating him, at the moment I only have enough models to Configure a 1500 point game roughly.

My models consist of 3 stealth suits
36 fire warriors
12 Kroot
1 devil fish
6 vespids
2 Crisis suits
1 Crisis commander
8 Gun drones

1 falcon tank
1 wraith lord
6 howling banshies
5 haliequins
12 Guardians
6 swooping hawks
10 dire avengers
Thats all that I can remember at the moment and the numbers are a little Scetchy
but those are his units

My Biggest Problem is that they always End up in close combat In Most games I play such as A break out missions they end up Rushing into me And Slaughtering my guys, i couldnt kill them Fast enough, Also How many Inches Do the Dwoopinh hawks move in normal movement and in Fleet of wings
any and all suggestions are nice

Please and Thank you

"Respect is earned "
General-Hoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Aug 2007, 04:13   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Tau V.S Eldar

Not to seem rude but it seems like you don't have the best models to go up against him.
You could probably use a good railgun either from a couple of broadsides or a hammer head to deal with his wraith lord and falcon tank.
Taking a cyclic ion blaster on your commander or putting an ion cannon or even using a railgun submunition (mainly because it's large blast) on a hammer head would help knock out some of his 4-3+ save units like his howling banshies, swooping hawks, and dire avengers.
Having a few more crisis suits to deep strike around the battlefield would be a great way to stop the swooping hawks, which I believe can move 12 (jump packs) then have fleet of foot not fleet of wing which is a walk of D6 instead of shooting ,and then might be able to assault another 6 ( i don't know if you can use fleet and assault).

If you do plan on buying more tau to fight with then you should buy a sky ray and slap some magnets on it (to switch it around from one tank to another for future use) and a couple more crisis suits.
If you don't want to spend any money then give all you crisis suits plasma rifles, missile pods, or fusion blasters and keep them decently spread apart and have them focus on the banshies and hawks and other melee units and then work your way up to his heavy support. If you wanted to stay on the safe side you could make a wall of kroot and devil fish and hide a mess of fire warriors behind it. This might hold off his melee a little bit longer but it could also get you cornered if you don't get enough kills.

What does the wraith lord usually carry? Do the guardians have that stupid support canon? And how come the eldar player has no HQ choice?
cruton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Aug 2007, 11:26   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I reckon (and it's just theory) your best bet is to divide up your units as much as possible.

So you have 6 troop choices
1 : 12 Kroot
2 : 12 FW in DF
3 : 6 FW
4 : 6 FW
5 : 6 FW
6 : 6 FW

& 3 Fast attack
1 : 6 Vespids
2 : 4 Gun Drones
3 : 4 Gun Drones

Keep them spaced as far apart as you can so the Eldar can't consolidate into the next unit and it might help you manage to get more fire into them. Keep your Commander indpendent, so no drones/bodyguards and try and use the two Gun Drones to either deep strike or screen your Crisis suits.
Old 01 Aug 2007, 11:44   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

As a bit of counterpoint I have found that when going against my Eldar friend, I am MUCH better off taking IonHeads as opposed to rail guns. The weak armor values give it a good chance of glancing (which is all you will ever do anyway), especially when you are dealing with wave serpents that modify your weapon strength down to 8 anyway. That said, the fact that you get three shots is HUGE when you have to deal with the Eldar Bull...poo of having holo fields and their retrothruster craptastic thingies that make them not crash on an immobilization. Your suits should be capable of hauling down the wraithlord just don't get too close. Same with your firewarriors. Against eldar your FWs are a HUGE threat as they are capable of vaporizing most Eldar infantry units and as a basic troop CAN TAKE DOWN A WRAITHLORD. YAY PULSE RIFLE. (done it twice). Things like the banshees are a PAIN especially if he puts them in a tank or some such and runs em right up to your line. Keep your FW teams spread out but make sure their arc of fire will cover your other teams. If banshees get in, consider the unit lost but set up to wipe them out once they take out one of your troops. When he loses those he's hurtin. Most of all...GET a couple of hammer heads they are indispensable...and I agree that you shoule get a SkyRay, as it comes with the sprues to be a Skyray or a Hammerhead (or a fish too if you want to put in the extra work).
Old 01 Aug 2007, 12:32   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Use devil fish to be more mobile and shoot shoot and shoot some more.

PS: Foolish Blueskins, you can never dream of defeating the glory of the eldar.
Dire Avenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Aug 2007, 14:22   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Am only starting playing Tau, but have played Eldar for 2 years or so, vs Tau among others.

So, FYI...

(i) Eldar hate being shot at by Tau - what size table d'you play on, I'm surprised to be honest that 12 Kroot, 36 FW, 8 drones and the Suits aren't causing all sorts of problems in that department. You need to sit back as far as possible.

(ii) Harlies and Banshees are nasty in combat, but I assume one of 'em gets hauled in the Falcon - you don't have an Anti Tank, try proxy the Fish as a Hammerhead with a Big Gun and shoot it down?

(iii) Slow down the other one with drones or Kroot attack, keep Vespids in reserve to deal with whatever jumps out the Falcon?

Assuming you have a bit of extra troop buying cash, I think (if I were Eldar) that what would worry me most would be an increased long range shooting capability with big guns, so the Wraithlord and Falcon go down early.

Old 01 Aug 2007, 15:38   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via AIM to General-Hoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Avenger
Use devil fish to be more mobile and shoot shoot and shoot some more.

PS: Foolish Blueskins, you can never dream of defeating the glory of the eldar.
But Time Certantly will

"Respect is earned "
General-Hoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Aug 2007, 18:02   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Tau vs. Eldar

the only thing required against eldar is missiles pods out the ass. They kill falcons, wave serpents, and all the eldar infantry except warpsiders, reapers, and strikign scorpions. Against those, use stealth suits. our ground based infantry get hosed really fast. Basically, the Eldar play the game we do, so we have to do it better, which can be hard, but seeing as you're only facig one falcon, you don't have it as hard as it could be.

Cheers!
Originally Posted by Faolin
"Human nature" only prevents a better future if we accept it as unchangeable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechTau
Shasocastris, since my return to these boards, nothing has made a bigger impression than you and your views.
shasocastris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Aug 2007, 19:13   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by shasocastris
the only thing required against eldar is missiles pods out the D'yi. They kill falcons, wave serpents, and all the eldar infantry except warpsiders, reapers, and strikign scorpions. Against those, use stealth suits. our ground based infantry get hosed really fast. Basically, the Eldar play the game we do, so we have to do it better, which can be hard, but seeing as you're only facig one falcon, you don't have it as hard as it could be.

Cheers!
Ah, but what do Tau have to hurt pathfinders Only thing i see that they can use is the AFP and the Flamer. Also, if kroot get in assault with them, you can consider them dead. Those can seriously hurt those guys. I like using Pathfinders against Tau, so ye should be glad he doesnt use those against you. 2+ Cover Save FTW
BurntEskimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Aug 2007, 19:34   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I do believe mar lights reduce a cover if you so choose.
Squad of say 8 path finders 4 hits, 3 markers to reduce to 5 cover and 1 marker to hit on 3s and then a small handfull of fire warriors and thats some dead Eldar.

"Be extremely subtle, even to the point of formlessness. Be extremely mysterious, even to the point of soundlessness. Thereby you can be the director of the opponents fate."
Sun Tzu
Eetion is offline   Reply With Quote