Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

flechettes in a piranha squadron
Old 29 Jul 2007, 17:03   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default flechettes in a piranha squadron

I had a thought the other day; if you equip more than one piranha in a squadron with flechette dischargers and that squadron is attacked by, say, a unit of hormagaunts; do you make the flechette wound roll once per each model or once per flechette-armed piranha per model?

It seems a bit cheesy, but I couldn't find anything on the forums to support or deny this.
fonkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jul 2007, 17:41   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: flechettes in a piranha squadron

Each piranha will make flechette attacks against the units attacking it. So if 10 marines charge 3 piranhas, they could split up their attacks among each. So if all 10 attacked 1 piranha then only that piranha would use flechettes. If half attacked a second piranha then each piranha would use flechettes against only the models attacking it, so in this case five for each piranha.
Old 29 Jul 2007, 18:22   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

No Flechettes attack the model attacking your vehicle that is armed with Flechettes.

So If One Piranha (armed with Flechettes) is attacked by 6 Gaunts, four of them get into base-to-base contact. Then four rolls at 4+ are made.

If Two Piranha (one armed with Flechettes and the other plain) are attacked by 12 Gaunts (six on each) then only the ones attacking the Piranha with Flechettes that are in base-to-base contact have to make a save. Those attacking the plain Piranha are safe from this.

Genmotty
Genmotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jul 2007, 18:24   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

do the flechletts only work once, or can they work again and again if the prianha is charged multiple times?
[img width=650 height=74]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x38/Majonga/sig.jpg[/img]
majonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jul 2007, 18:29   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

I believe they work over and over...

*Gets Codex*

Yes there is nothing saying that it only fires once.

"[i]Any[i/] model attacking the vehical..."

Genmotty
Genmotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jul 2007, 00:06   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander_Vimes
Each piranha will make flechette attacks against the units attacking it. So if 10 marines charge 3 piranhas, they could split up their attacks among each. So if all 10 attacked 1 piranha then only that piranha would use flechettes. If half attacked a second piranha then each piranha would use flechettes against only the models attacking it, so in this case five for each piranha.
I don't think that's quite right. If it were a simple a matter of being base-to-base, I could logically assume that to be true. But, per the rule (Tau p. 30): "Any model attacking the vehicle in close combat will be wounded on a D6 roll of 4+, with Saves allowed, before resolving its attacks." Attacking, not in contact with.

This is where my idea comes in. A squadron of vehicles behaves like a unit, so if one vehicle carries flechettes and the entire squadron is assaulted, each model in the assaulting unit would take the 4+ test, regardless of which vehicle it was actually close to. What I wonder is if it's possible to make the argument that multiple flechette-armed vehicles force multiple flechette wounding checks. Weird!
fonkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jul 2007, 03:27   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonkin
Quote:
I don't think that's quite right. If it were a simple a matter of being base-to-base, I could logically assume that to be true. But, per the rule (Tau p. 30): "Any model attacking the vehicle in close combat will be wounded on a D6 roll of 4+, with Saves allowed, before resolving its attacks." Attacking, not in contact with.

This is where my idea comes in. A squadron of vehicles behaves like a unit, so if one vehicle carries flechettes and the entire squadron is assaulted, each model in the assaulting unit would take the 4+ test, regardless of which vehicle it was actually close to. What I wonder is if it's possible to make the argument that multiple flechette-armed vehicles force multiple flechette wounding checks. Weird!
you could argue that, but it would definetly be rules lawering, and pretty bad sportsmanship.
Old 30 Jul 2007, 03:53   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcaor
Quote:
Quote:

you could argue that, but it would definetly be rules lawering, and pretty bad sportsmanship.
I think that is a interesting concept, and it should be explored.
As for being a rules lawyer and a bad sportsman. I would never say that playing in the realm of the rules set out for the game and even being creative enough to push them to its full limit with out breaking them is anything but doing the game some level of good. Bad sportsmanship comes from breaking them and being uncontrolled in doing it. You don't learn anything from it.
Old 30 Jul 2007, 04:04   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via ICQ to Dagonus Send a message via AIM to Dagonus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcaor
Quote:
Quote:

I think you could do more than argue it. I can't even see why a model hitting the Piranha but not in base SHOULDN'T be hit. It's neither rules lawyering or bad sportsmanship. Everyone where I play has always played them that way. No one has ever played them requiring base to base since the wargear never even mentions bases.

Edit: I should add in though. That it would be each unit attacking the Piranha with the Launcher. so 3 Piranhas need 3 launchers. But the assaulters don't need to be in base to base.
Old 30 Jul 2007, 05:16   #10 (permalink)
lonely tau

Think of it like a power weapon. If each individual model gets a Power Weapon than they all ignore armor saves in close combat. However, if only the sergeant has one only he ignores Armor Saves in Close Combat. Now replace "Power Weapon" with "Fleschette Launcher" and "Sergeant" with Piranha.