Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

O'Shova Farsight or Commander Shadowsun
Old 29 Jul 2007, 09:58   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default O'Shova Farsight or Commander Shadowsun

aight im startin to build up a core army but i still havnt decided on my HQ. I was thinking either commander O'Shovah farsight or commander shadowsun. both commanders look cool and are deadly on the field.

Which should I pick?
Slusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jul 2007, 10:42   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to TimberwolfCY Send a message via MSN to TimberwolfCY Send a message via Yahoo to TimberwolfCY
Default Re: O'Shova Farsight or Commander Shadowsun

You should probably not be posting full stat lines and abilities of models, as these are copyright GW, and regardless of what others might say, the unit summaries at the back of Codecies are for personal use only.

As far as which is better or more useful? Most of it is personal opinion. I am not too familiar with Farsight, but some people like his style of play that comes with the use of the model. Shadowsun's detractors are numerous and severe on the boards however, so before they post, I will try and explain the good points to Shadowsun, as I have used her extensively in the past and have experience with her.

Shadowsun's key ability is the fact she gives Ld10 to any Tau unit within 18" of her Command drone. At first glance this may not seem like much, until you realize that virtually every other army has a way around the frail Ld8 that is standard with most armies' units. Ld10 gives you a multitude of possibilities; if you're a Static player, it keeps your firebase intact if you take a lot of return fire. If someone drops the Fear bomb on you (SM Librarian with psyker ability that makes everyone within 12" of the model take a Ld test at -2Ld that, if failed, causes the units tested to fall back), you have a moderate chance of succeeding the Ld check, rather than a paltry Ld6 (or worse if your FW/PF have no Shas'ui). It gives a better chance for Target Priority tests to go through. If you have Kroot, it lets another charged unit last until the Kroot, if they are close, can counter-charge. There are other possibilities, but those are the main ones that come to mind.

Shadowsun has two Shield Drones (SD) with 4+ invuln saves, plus Shadowsun herself has a Shield Generator, which also grants a 4+ save. The drones of course remove her IC status, but you can actually use this to your advantage. Put her in the open and let her absorb Lascannon/other heavy weapon fire that would otherwise be directed at your tanks or Broadsides or Crisis Suits. After her two SD's are exausted, jump her behind cover, and she can't be shot at again at all. I admit this is a gamble, but if you're looking to save your previously mentioned assets, it could be worth it. For those that would complain that IC status is that important, it's not so much an issue with Shadowsun, who is supposed to be at the back anyway, and seriously, who can cut through three 4+ invuln saves that easily? Only the Necron Lord and C'Tan come to mind...

Perhaps the biggest detraction of Shadowsun is her guns. For a support unit, two Fusion Blasters, though powerful, are hideously short-ranged. Two Missile Pods would have been infinitely more useful. There is one good point though: if a Monstrous Creature/Heavy Tank, or similar heavy unit makes it to your firebase, Shadowsun should definitely be able to put some serious dents in it, or finish it off totally if there was previous damage to it.
"They got ded big shooty gunz dat'll kill tons of boyz, but if yer can get near em den you've got a chance. Just gotta make sure you bring loads of boyz, coz you ain't gonna have a whole lot left when you get close enough to crump em." - Warloard Skarmork, The Great Despoiler
TimberwolfCY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jul 2007, 11:05   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

Well, I would actually suggest that you take the normal commander and just use him instead of using a special character.

Reason? The basic commander is more flexible and also relatively cheaper than the two. The two fusions upon Shadowsun and Dawn blade on farsight is awesome sight indeed, but most of the time, you really have a hard time using it, for it will always bring them too close to an unit that could potentially wipe them off the board. You do not want to throw away points that could be used to buy the commander and something more.

In addition, both the special characters are harder to use than your average Tau commander, and thus not very tau-beginner friendly. Since youare a new Tau player, I would suggest that you start off with the basic one as it is a more forgiving learning curve than the other two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
crisis_vyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Jul 2007, 16:22   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

I agree with Crisis_Vyper.

My own take on the Tau Special Characters are that O'Shovah is pretty good, but the unit restrictions are annoying. Shadowsun is odd, she combines the effects of a Command and Control node and an Ethereal, but for cheaper, and with poor weapons choices. Aun'va is ridiculously expensive for what you get.

If you can figure out what style of play you want, that could make the decision easier. A static or hybrid army works well with Shadowsun as a firebase commander. Fully mobile armies and armies with short range weapons don't benefit from Shadowsun as much. O'Shovah is good under any situation.

My own style of play is a hybrid army. I have one commander for my firebase in larger games with a Command and Control Node. I have a second commander I use in all games equipped as an O'Ninja, meaning he is actually a fast assault unit.

The O'Ninja is a Shas'O with a Plasma Rifle, Fusion Blaster, Vectored Retro Thrusters, Stim Injectors, and a Hardwired Multitracker. He can deep-strike to get behind opponent front lines, where he can attack rear vehicle armor and assault heavy weapons squads. The trick with the O'Ninja is that you stay in cover with him, advancing on a target. His Skilled Rider ability lets him jet-pack through cover safer. Then he fires at the target. If the target survives, and doesn't have a power fist, he assaults. Assaulting enemy infantry keeps him safe from enemy fire during your opponents turn. At the end of the opponent's assault phase, he uses the Vectored Retro Thrusters to leap away from the assault. Now on your turn, he can fire three AP: 2 shots at the enemy infantry unit, and assault again if required or leap in cover.

Other things to note:

- most people use a Shield Generator, not a fusion blaster. I like the extra firepower and I use cover against heavy weapons. CIBs are supposed to be effective weapons, but I prefer weapons effective against vehicles, in case I'm facing a Whirlwind or Basilisk.
- You have a chance to destroy vehicles with armor of 10 or 11 in assault.
- Be wary of units with power weapons and weapons with Str 8 or better.
- The Stim Injector gives you another chance to avoid a wound.
- Irridium Armor: there's nothing wrong with a unit with 2+ armor saves, 4+ invulnerable saves, a 4+ save from the stim injectors, firing a plasma rifle twice a turn into an enemy unit. With Irridium Armor, you only get a d6 for your assault move distance. I prefer the extra mobility.
- Last night, my O'Ninja went toe-to-toe with a Dark Angels Captain. He assaulted and got one wound with his power sword, I caused two, then leapt away. On my turn, I killed him with plasma fire.
daniel.wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Aug 2007, 05:52   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Send a message via MSN to Blazork

Does having Farsight do anything to your Fire Warriors WS? Since he encourages close combat?
Blazork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Aug 2007, 07:49   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazork
Does having Farsight do anything to your Fire Warriors WS? Since he encourages close combat?
You get the Preferred Enemy Special Rule against Orks... That's it.

I've been meaning to try O'Shovah... Just can't decide if I want to give up my Kroot and Vespid... If I play as Farsight, I don't think I'd actually feel like I'm playing Tau... and I like playing Tau cause I'm a Communist ^_^

"...If he's right about the melons, he's right about the bears!"-NPC from Inquisitor
Siric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Aug 2007, 08:46   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to ShasVre_Koyaan_KiVak

I would go with a normal commander, much better value fer points and customisable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siric
If I play as Farsight, I don't think I'd actually feel like I'm playing Tau... and I like playing Tau cause I'm a Communist ^_^
Same 'ere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1shot1kill
:sadnshocked:
Pedophile, bisexual, weirdo banana!
ShasVre_Koyaan_KiVak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Aug 2007, 09:47   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Farsight is effective with an aggressive army.
My entire list is designed to get close to the enemy and kill them in a withering hail of short ranged firepower, with only one hammerhead and one broadside so O'Shovah made a perfect addition to my army.

All special characters can be used effectively and it would be good to read Tonka Truck Drives tactica for Shadowsun, as an armed and armoured ethereal before making a choice to use any.

But in most cases it would be best to use a standard commander.
Korill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Aug 2007, 18:46   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korill

But in most cases it would be best to use a standard commander.
Agreed. Two fireknife shas'os can really wreak havoc on the enemy, with all the firepower they have. cheap, efficient, and really, really irritating

Cheers!
Originally Posted by Faolin
"Human nature" only prevents a better future if we accept it as unchangeable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechTau
Shasocastris, since my return to these boards, nothing has made a bigger impression than you and your views.
shasocastris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Aug 2007, 23:15   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

While Farsight is up for discussion, would he be good if I fight IG/LatD, 'Nids, and Kroot/Chaos Space Marines? Oh, and Orks as well

"...If he's right about the melons, he's right about the bears!"-NPC from Inquisitor
Siric is offline   Reply With Quote