Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

how should i deal with this type of horde armies????
Old 28 Jul 2007, 02:51   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default how should i deal with this type of horde armies????

ok i am new, as some of you know, to warhammer and am still learing quite a few things.

i have played about 3 games now against ig, chaos, and eldar. but now i am playing an entirely different army...

i will be playing 2 matches against my friend in two days and he is a tyranid player. he has already told what types of armies he will be fielding and i was wondering if someone could give me some advice.

first he will be playing against me with a "gaunt" army ( i dont know what that means, so if anyone knows that would probably be really helpful. and tips on how to face them would also help!)

and second he will be playing against me with a "genestealer" army (again i have no clue what a "genestealer" is or how i should counter one)

ok thanks in advance ;D ;D ;D

(\_/) this is bunny
(0.o) please copy and paste this into your sig and
'(__)' help him achieve world domination
malay melee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jul 2007, 03:25   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: how should i deal with this type of horde armies????

How many points is the game your going to be playing? Well, I'll give you my thoughts on gaunts and Genestealers.

Gaunts-

There are Hormagaunts and plain gaunts. Hormagaunts are assault units. They will get into your lines and wreak havoc. They can fleet and assault 12. Making an effective danger range of 19-24 inches.

Gaunts can be customized. The most common are termagaunts. They are pretty fast and have without number. This means, whenever you kill a squad that has this, they reappear on their side of the table o.0

The good thing about facing gaunts is that they need synapse to control them, these units are bigger and usually have better weaponry. He will probably use Tyranid Warriors for this. The best thing for you to do is take these guys out and watch as the rest of the army is demolished from the inside out.

Genestealers-

Genestealers are the epitome of assault for the tyranids. They dont require synapse, can be given a 4+ save. Plus they have rending. If these guys get into close combat with you, consider yourself dead. Depending on the size of the game, he will probably bring a broodlord. Genestealer armies rarely have any ranged weaponry. So just sit back and unleash hell on them before they reach your line. These guys can get to your lines by turn 2 so be careful.

Kroot can be effective against genestealers if you keep them in cover. If they assault you, depending on your squad size, you can seriously put some damage on them. Also, they make rending kind of useless because you cant save anyways. They will probably kill your squad off in their first assault however.

Too take out these guys, your going to need either a lot of firepower, or greater speed. If they get in close combat, try to move other squads away so when they finish off the squad, you can unleash firepower on them. If you can, keep all your squads a good distance away from eachother. That way, if they hit one squad, they cant consolidate into the next squad and just kill off your entire army.

Sorry about the long post. Your going to need help if your against an elite genestealer list.

BE
BurntEskimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jul 2007, 03:46   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to razgriz_cipher

Another way to kill genstelers better than kroot is to get a lot of crisis suits with twin linked missle pods. A shas'el commander with a cyclic ion blaster and missle pod is the most effective at killing genstelaers per points.
Old 28 Jul 2007, 03:49   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Yea, your right razgriz. Battlesuits are the best

I think he doesnt have that many models yet. So he might not be able to put out so many missle pods.

It really depends on how he fields his genestealers. If he takes them with extended carapace, then you going to be in some pain. If he doesn't though. Your firewarriors are going to wipe the floor with him.
Old 28 Jul 2007, 03:52   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

well the games we play are probably gonna be around 1300-1500 points

and i know in both armies he is gonna use warriors, a carnifex, and a zoanthrope. i dont know about the hq choices though...

any idea about what i should field against him???

and i have thinkin about this for awhile now...

which is more effective?
an army with a high number of shots, or an army with a lower number of shots that are more likely to hit...

i would assume more shots because you could always just get lucky with rolls, but anyone have thoughts about this??

(\_/) this is bunny
Old 28 Jul 2007, 03:54   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

o and yes, his genestealers are gonna have extended carapace, so yea...

i do have a hammerhead by the way guys...

against gaunts ill be sure to use the submunition shot, but against genestealers with extended carapace...
is the railgun or ion cannon more effective???

cheers in advance ;D

(\_/) this is bunny
Old 28 Jul 2007, 04:04   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Yaifrog

The railgun submunition shot will still rip through a Genestealer's extended carapace. You won't be as lucky with a Broodlord, though...

The only thing to worry about with the railgun is that it only has one shot. If you miss with it, then that's a whole turn of shooting gone. Ion connons, however, have three shots and can even tear through a Broodlord's armour, so you don't have to put all your shooty eggs in one basket. I would still go with the railgun, but it's up to you.
Yaifrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jul 2007, 04:09   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Could you give a list of what models you own so we could see whats a good list you could field?
Old 28 Jul 2007, 04:25   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

ok, i have just gotten kroot and am experimenting with them, so feel free to comment in my squads...

i didnt want to list all the upgrades, but basically i have given a targetting array to everything that can have it, and i decided to make two six-man squads of firewarriors to add another markerlight to my list. i took alot of fusion blasters where i could fit them so i could insta kill alot, and to help take out the carnifex/zoanthrope/broodlord

note: i have no pathfinders

1 shaper and 9 kroot with 8 kroot hounds

10 kroot with a krootox

(all of my friewarrior squads are set to have a markerlight)
12 firewarriors with a devilfish

6 firewarriors

6 firewarriors

3 stealth suits, one with fusion blaster

1 sniper drone team

1 hammerhead (which i am considering giving an ion cannon for the lower cost, good ap, and number of shots)

1 pirahna with fusion blaster

1 shas'o commander with plasma rifle and burst cannon

1 shas'vre bodyguard with missle pod and burst cannon

does this seem like it will work? ??? ??? ???

(\_/) this is bunny
Old 28 Jul 2007, 07:18   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

i would probably combine the two 6 man squads and mount them, I would make a two man team for the piranhas and make the third an independent, or take it out and try and fit in another ionhead, if possible.
SUUPAH is offline   Reply With Quote