Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

how should i deal with this type of horde armies????
Old 29 Jul 2007, 03:49   #21 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: how should i deal with this type of horde armies????

correct, he didnt give many (if any) upgrades to any of his gaunts and my jaw dropped at the sheer number of models.

but then he almost cried after attacking my pirahna, and watching the fletechette fireworks ;D

(\_/) this is bunny
(0.o) please copy and paste this into your sig and
'(__)' help him achieve world domination
malay melee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jul 2007, 04:00   #22 (permalink)
Shas'El

Thropes do have ranges attacks, both are psychic. one has a 24" inch range, that's anti-infantry. The anti-tank has a range of 18", strength 10.

Biovores are basically artillery, they fire spore mines. However even if they miss the spore mines can still move around. I don't know much about them, except that they are not scoring units and cannot take table quarters.

Fletechettes are nice against 'nids, wounding anything on a 4+ is great, and a nasty surprise. However you already did it once, I'm not sure if he'll fall for that again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by runer60000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead
I believe so, I get mine at Walgreen's for around $7. Brake Fluid works too (Pine Sol Works on metals, not so well on plastics), but I prefer the spraycanniness of the Easy Off. Spray it (Wear gloves, it's important), let it sit, and take a toothbrush to it later.
so what your saying is that oven cleaner can remove paint from plastic models? and after that, you take a toothbrush to your plastic model, and the paint just comes off?
Gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jul 2007, 04:21   #23 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

if the mines don't hit, they drift using D6 and a scatter. Also, nid players can opt to just take the mines with out the biovores and then deep strike them in. Something along these lines, don't quote me on it though
SUUPAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jul 2007, 17:13   #24 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to InsanitysFall

I've had spore mines get rear armour shots on two of my hammerheads in the one game. they can be nasty. but rely fairly heavily on the luck of the scatter dice.

As already stated, they aren't something that will win the game by themselves but they are definately something to watch for.
Old 29 Jul 2007, 17:53   #25 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to shas`o r`myr

one realy nice thing to do against tyranids is Fielding a xv81 which have smart missiles and give him a burst cannon and a missile pod. that would be 7 s.5 AP.5 shots and 2 s.7 AP.4 shots and the best part is smart missiles don't need line of sight
shas`o r`myr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jul 2007, 09:23   #26 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Carnifexs, There are several different types of them.
There are elite fexes which have very few upgrades and are usually shooting.
They can get stronger into Godfexes, which take up a heavy support and can easily be upwards of 250 points.
These can have T7, W5, 2+ Save and regeneration and take huge amounts of firepower to take down.
To counter such godfexes the best thing to use is Plasma-Fusion Crisis suits (Helios) and fusion Piranha. Never use pulse shots vs them. 72 Shots=1 Wound.
For the lighter elitefex, usually with T6 W4 and 3+ save, use the same Crisis suits but you can also use pulse shots against them.
There are also other versions inbetween those two extremes.

Infiltrate Kroot to counter Genestealers, the two aren about even in combat if the kroot outnumber by about 2.5:1.
Genestealers will almost always cause more wounds and it is not uncommon for a lone genestealer to sweeping advance 10 kroot.
Genestealers can infiltrate and be in combat by the second turn. They will kill you if they get there.
Stay mobile and spread your forces apart to minimize casualties.

Gaunts rely on their synapse creatures to stay a threat. To easily counter them take out the synapse ASAP. Snipe them with a railgun, deepstrike crisis near them, do whatever it takes to take them down without comprimising your own position and letting the Carnifex rip through you.
Most Synapse creatures are easy to take down, with the exception of the Hive Tyrant.
Zoanthropes, Warriors and Hive Tyrants make up synapse. Carnifexes are not Synapse.
Make sure you and your friend know the synapse rules fully, and if the gaunts are without synapse they are nearly harmless and just rip them to pieces with pulse fire if theyre not already falling back.

Biovores are more of an annoyance than a threat but if an acid spore hits you, it can cause heavy damage to anything. The other two spores are not nearly as dangerous, but avoid bunching up troops incase they are hit. I believe that Biovores may not change spore types during the match and must pick one and stay with it.
They can hide behind cover and it may be best to send a piranha to assasinate it.

Good luck in your battles.
Korill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jul 2007, 10:28   #27 (permalink)
Shas'El

To counter such godfexes the best thing to use is Plasma-Fusion Crisis suits (Helios) and fusion Piranha. Never use pulse shots vs them. 72 Shots=1 Wound.

I would disagree with this one. Both Helios suits and Piranha's require you to get within 12' to use effectivley. This also happens to be charge range. Whilst the Crisis Suits can use their jetpacks to move back out again, it's still far too close for comfort. If you misjudge the distance, or a Carnifex isn't the only thing in the area, then your Crisis Suits will only get one chance to kill the thing before they die.

To me, railguns are always the best weapon against Carnifexes. Ignores their armour, wounds them on a 2+, with a 72' range. The most effcient thing at killing Carnifexes is Broadsides. If you are a pure mech player, then the Hammerhead railgun might be a better option.

Gaunts rely on their synapse creatures to stay a threat. To easily counter them take out the synapse ASAP. Snipe them with a railgun, deepstrike crisis near them, do whatever it takes to take them down without comprimising your own position and letting the Carnifex rip through you.

True up to a point, but one thing you should know is that Gaunts (or anything else) out of Synapse fall back towards the nearest Synapse Creature. I discovered this to my cost when I dedicated my firepower to taking out the Synapse creatures covering a massive swarm of Gaunts, only to discover that the only other Synapse Creature on the board were those already inside my lines. The Gaunts proceeded to fall back. Straight at me. :P

It can be a good idea to take out Synapse, and often is, but not ALWAYS is.

There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty.
- Inquisitor Lord Karamazov

What do you humans know of our pain? We have sang songs of lament since before your ancestors crawled on their bellies from the sea - Eldrad Ulthran
Faolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jul 2007, 10:47   #28 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faolin

I would disagree with this one. Both Helios suits and Piranha's require you to get within 12' to use effectivley. This also happens to be charge range. Whilst the Crisis Suits can use their jetpacks to move back out again, it's still far too close for comfort. If you misjudge the distance, or a Carnifex isn't the only thing in the area, then your Crisis Suits will only get one chance to kill the thing before they die.

To me, railguns are always the best weapon against Carnifexes. Ignores their armour, wounds them on a 2+, with a 72' range. The most effcient thing at killing Carnifexes is Broadsides. If you are a pure mech player, then the Hammerhead railgun might be a better option.
I have found that while the railgun is very effective a chance of one wound per turn sometimes isnt worth it. It does help a lot though.
Carnifexes i fight always manage to regen everything not delivered from a crisis suit.
Old 30 Jul 2007, 11:02   #29 (permalink)
Shas'El

How many railguns are you using? I can generally take out a Carnifex a turn in my army. (I run four Broadsides)

A team of Helios Suits is better then one railgun, but a team of railguns is far, far better then a team of Helios Suits.

There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty.
- Inquisitor Lord Karamazov

What do you humans know of our pain? We have sang songs of lament since before your ancestors crawled on their bellies from the sea - Eldrad Ulthran
Faolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jul 2007, 11:34   #30 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

But Malay Melee only has one hammerhead so will need to rely on crisis suits to help destroy it.

And Faolin, i use 1 railgun per 1500 points in my armies...not much I know.