Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

newbie questions on kroot and vespid
Old 28 Jul 2007, 02:00   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default newbie questions on kroot and vespid

ok, so please bear with me because i am completely new to warhammer and having a bit of a hard time understanding some rules. as i was looking at all the armies, trying to pick the one for me, the tau empire stood out. the sheer firepower and look of them won my vote. so i went ahead about obtaining a battleforce, which i was luckily to get at a good price through someone who decided they didnt want to play tau, it was still not opened and i was naive to think it had everything i needed. that is until a friend showed me the two other races that were incorporated into the tau empire. i immediately bought some kroot, and this is where my question comes up...

any feedback would be helpful, and thank you in advance : ;D ;D ;D

im not sure about this, but i think it is correct to say that you can only 6' into a forest, right?

and kroot can shoot 12' through forests right? does that mean they have to be IN the forest to still shoot 12'
through the forest? or can they shoot 12' through a forest, despite being behind the forest?

and one other thing on kroot...
they have rapid fire weapons, so they cannot charge in the assualt phase?

now onto the vespid...

1st off, what are these guys actually useful for? they seem kind of expensive and frail to me... they only get 1 shot with their weapons, arent very good at close combat, and have a bad save (for their points)

do they have some special use???

it seems like anything they do, crisis suits could do better!

ok, thank you for helping me in all of my nooby-ness, and any answers are helpful at this point. dont feel like you have to answer every one of my questions

(\_/) this is bunny
(0.o) please copy and paste this into your sig and
'(__)' help him achieve world domination
malay melee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jul 2007, 02:30   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: newbie questions on kroot and vespid

Quote:
Originally Posted by malay melee
ok, so please bear with me because i am completely new to warhammer and having a bit of a hard time understanding some rules. as i was looking at all the armies, trying to pick the one for me, the tau empire stood out. the sheer firepower and look of them won my vote. so i went ahead about obtaining a battleforce, which i was luckily to get at a good price through someone who decided they didnt want to play tau, it was still not opened and i was naive to think it had everything i needed. that is until a friend showed me the two other races that were incorporated into the tau empire. i immediately bought some kroot, and this is where my question comes up...
Congradulations on picking Tau* . Im going to assume you got one of the old battleforces with three Crisis suits? Since the newer one includes some kroot

Quote:

im not sure about this, but i think it is correct to say that you can only 6' into a forest, right?

and kroot can shoot 12' through forests right? does that mean they have to be IN the forest to still shoot 12'
through the forest? or can they shoot 12' through a forest, despite being behind the forest?

and one other thing on kroot...
they have rapid fire weapons, so they cannot charge in the assualt phase?
No one can see through forest no matter how thick it is. However Every one can see 6" IN to forest and the kroot can see 12" in. So your first assumption is right. Interestingly enough if kroot are 7" into a forest they can see out but no one can see them.

Quote:
now onto the vespid...

1st off, what are these guys actually useful for? they seem kind of expensive and frail to me... they only get 1 shot with their weapons, arent very good at close combat, and have a bad save (for their points)

do they have some special use???

it seems like anything they do, crisis suits could do better!
They are fast with a 12" move and 6" fleet move. THey have a low AP gun that is a dedicated anti-marine (or +3 save) gun. So their uses involve suporting other units and going for objectives
Solourus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jul 2007, 02:32   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Hi Malay Melee,

Welcome to the Forums. Woot on my first introduction.

So, welcome to the forums.

BE

Dang, Solourus, ya got here first...
BurntEskimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jul 2007, 02:38   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to TimberwolfCY Send a message via MSN to TimberwolfCY Send a message via Yahoo to TimberwolfCY

Hey dude, welcome to the forums.

I'll try to answer your questions as best I can.

Kroot first.

Kroot can shoot (and see through/draw LOS) out of or into a forest up to 12". However, no unit can shoot through a piece of terrain from one side to the other, so like all other units Kroot cannot shoot from one side of forest to the other, even if it is less then 12".

Kroot have Rapid Fire weapons, which mean that cannot both shoot in the shooting phase and charge in the assault phase, they must choose one or the other. Correct judgement of distance and assets/liabilties on the tabletop will usually yield the correct course of action.

Your Vespid concerns are a little harder to answer, though I think I will be of some help. Vespid like most units in the Tau Empire codex, require some tactical finesse, particularly with regards to timing and distance. At first glance, because they have Fleet, they would seem good like other jump troops to jump straight at the enemy and attack. Of course, after one considers their Save, this is not the correct action. Vespid are best used in cover guarding your firebase, especially versus MEq (Marine Equivalents: T4, Sv3+). The idea is that when MEqs approach your base, when they get close enough, you jump them out of cover, use markerlights to up their BS to 5 (which you can do as long as the Strain Leader is present, unlike Kroot), and then shoot the MEqs with your Neutron Blasters, which wound on a 3+ and take away the save. With luck, you will take out about 2/3 of the squad this way, and with supporting fire, perhaps the entire squad. Any survivors that are left you charge with the Vespid (which you can do as their weapons are Assault 1) which will double their attacks, you'll have Initiative most of the time (Vespid are I5). Of course, they are only S3, so you'll be gambling that all your shooting took out all but 1 or 2 models of the enemy. But as long as there's only 1 or 2 models left, you should be able to take them out with sheer volume of attacks, and before they can strike back.

That strategy is the primary strategy I've used and seen on the boards, they guard you base, and if anyone gets too close, you pounce on them, esp. MEqs. They are not a waste against some non-MEqs either, just not as effecient, such as Eldar. The key thing with Vespids is that they need to be in or behind cover, so that they have a better save, if they are shot at all, and they need ML support, to make the most of their shooting.

I actually don't use them much anymore, and the general attitude of the boards is one that there are better units to be had for the points cost. If used properly however, they could potentially be devestating.

Hope all that helps.

"They got ded big shooty gunz dat'll kill tons of boyz, but if yer can get near em den you've got a chance. Just gotta make sure you bring loads of boyz, coz you ain't gonna have a whole lot left when you get close enough to crump em." - Warloard Skarmork, The Great Despoiler
TimberwolfCY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jul 2007, 02:42   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

ooo thanks guys, that was helpful!!!
;D ;D ;D

cleared quite a few things up too!

(\_/) this is bunny
(0.o) please copy and paste this into your sig and
'(__)' help him achieve world domination
malay melee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jul 2007, 07:53   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

In addition to TimerberwolfCYs post, the vespid can only use a markerlight hit as long as the Strain Leader is alive, which shouldt be a problem, but a nice thing to keep in mind
Frances is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jul 2007, 08:24   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to TimberwolfCY Send a message via MSN to TimberwolfCY Send a message via Yahoo to TimberwolfCY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frances
In addition to TimerberwolfCYs post, the vespid can only use a markerlight hit as long as the Strain Leader is alive, which shouldt be a problem, but a nice thing to keep in mind
I'm not normally sore like this but...

I said that.
"They got ded big shooty gunz dat'll kill tons of boyz, but if yer can get near em den you've got a chance. Just gotta make sure you bring loads of boyz, coz you ain't gonna have a whole lot left when you get close enough to crump em." - Warloard Skarmork, The Great Despoiler
TimberwolfCY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jul 2007, 08:47   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Im sorry my bad, I completely missed that line.

My apologies.
Frances is offline   Reply With Quote