Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

1,000 point list for Tau newbie
Old 27 Jul 2007, 22:04   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default 1,000 point list for Tau newbie

All...I play 40k with my kids, and my one son - who has Dark Eldar - wants Tau as his 2nd army. Can people suggest good 1,000 point lists that he can build to, we want to get the stuff from everyone for his birthday

fwiw "house" opponents are the DE, Eldar, Necrons, Orks and Chaos Word Bearers...and every other kid has Space Marines

thanks
Old 27 Jul 2007, 22:12   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: 1,000 point list for Tau newbie

Few questions that need to be answered.

Do you want it to be cost efficient? If so, what cost range would you want?

What kind of player is he? Does he like lots of tanks? Lots of Firepower? High Mobility?

If you could tell us more on that, we might be able to help make an even more powerful list that suits his style.

BE
BurntEskimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jul 2007, 22:59   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurntEskimo
Few questions that need to be answered.

Do you want it to be cost efficient? If so, what cost range would you want?

What kind of player is he? Does he like lots of tanks? Lots of Firepower? High Mobility?

If you could tell us more on that, we might be able to help make an even more powerful list that suits his style.

BE
Cost is not really an issue as will pass out all the stuff to relatives, friends etc as prezzies. and he can add more over time. Playing style.....his DE are played as a high firepower army (3 D/L squads, 2 Ravagers) plus a tooled up lord + Drazhar / retinue, 2 raider squads, hounds, Talos and a complement of witches for attacking. Tends to shoot and counter-attack.

All kids like Tau tanks
Old 27 Jul 2007, 23:24   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Buy Skyrays. You probably will never field them as skyrays, but they cost the same as a Hammerhead and come with all the pieces to field it as a Hammerhead. Also, there is a way to use magnets to make the thing completely convertable so you can field it as a Railhead, Ionhead, Skyray, or devilfish with any of the seconday weapon systems.

As far as 1000 point lists go, I really can't say. I change mine up so much...but I can name units I thnk that are effective.

"Economy Ionhead" - Hammerhead, Ioncannon, Burst cannons, decoy launchers, multitracker - 130 points

this little beauty is a real monster on the field. For only 130 points you get one of the best tanks in the game that can hand marines their own arses. On top of that, it destroys light armor better than a railgun up to AV12 and when within 18" can lay down 9 shots total. Sweet buy for the points.

"Deathrain" - Crisis suit, Twin linked missile pods, flamer - 47 points
Another cheap effective unit, the deathrain comes in many flavors. Some like to spend a few more points and put a targetting array instead of a flamer for higher accuracy. Me, I'd rather have the flamer as a backup weapon and 6 extra points. This suits main selling point is high accuracy, long range, STR7 shots on a JSJ mobile weapon platform. Basically it serves the funtion of long range artillery since it can shoot then get back out of LOS in the assault phase. With the popularity of skimmer armies, you'd better believe these suits earn their keep. Even against hordes of nidsd, the long range means more shots earlier, and the high STR virtually gaurentees wounds when it hits. I run them in teams of 2 and use multiple squads.

Piranha, fusion blaster, targetting array -70 points- My personal favorite unit these babies are a true joy on the battlefield. Fast high strength melta guns make for great character and armor hunters, while the drones provide extra units that are capable of attacking different units. I wrote a whole tactica just on these machines here if you are interested.

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=35145.0

10 Kroot - 70 points
Cheap infiltrators that are good in CC and have STR4 rapid fire weapons? Sign me up. How people run Tau without them is amystery to me, but infiltrate these into some nice 4+ cover and have them shoot out all game. If the enemy sends resources to root them out, they will likely get eaten, and if not then what have yo ulost 70 points? better than your crisis suits getting locked in CC.

There are many more units I like, but that is a nice start. Honestly, I'd reccomend to anyone starting Tau to buy the megaforce. Thats the bigger box that comes with the 3 Piranhas. This package deal gives you a little bit of everything and will save you $$$. All told it is about 1500 points worth of stuff, but like I said, there is almost one of every unit so you can get a feel for them.

Good luck!
Old 28 Jul 2007, 02:31   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

If you're going with tanks then you might want to consider mounted troop units, two FW squads with warfishes would do nicely. The only catch is that this point heavy, 460 pts or thereabouts. But the mobile squads will complement the suits and other skimmers in the army.

If you take the two mounted squads, plus an ionhead, 2deathrains, and 2 piranha's, using Israfel's point costs, it should total 824 pts, leaving 176 for 'El with CIB, PR, and TA and then some.
SUUPAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jul 2007, 06:31   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

the megaforce really is a good deal, plus you'll get some extra points to boot ;D

(\_/) this is bunny
(0.o) please copy and paste this into your sig and
'(__)' help him achieve world domination
malay melee is offline   Reply With Quote