Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

[BatRep] Au'toshan War 2, Tau Hybrid vs Ork Speed Freak - 1750 pts
Old 27 Jul 2007, 13:51   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default [BatRep] Au'toshan War 2, Tau Hybrid vs Ork Speed Freak - 1750 pts

Tau Hybrid vs Ork Speed Freaks – 1750 pts

Shas’o Pet’o Kro Potkin fumed. “All the decoy launchers? Swapped for food production holos? I’ll tell the pilots they will dine well should they survive the next Ork intrusion.” And with those words, the stage one crisis sirens screeched into life.

The report was clear, the Ork mechanised force was targeting yet another Glorious Enemy Dead Museum, to loot the vehicles preserved there. Pet’o paused before calling for ‘volunteers’, he found the New Way a difficult command structure at the best of times but to form any kind of Kau’u from an ‘emergent social structure’ was practically impossible, still the call went out and was responded to far quicker than he had hoped. He didn’t like the look of the Tio’ve of XV25 who had arrived, they had a reputation for fool-hardiness unheard of amongst other Septs.

“Fellow Tau,” he projected “It seems we must Seek out and Destroy the enemy, shall we get to work?”

HQ: Shas'o Pet’o Kro Potkin (1#, 135 Pts)
Hard-wired Blacksun Filter; Missile Pod; Hard-wired Multi-tracker; Plasma Rifle; Stimulant Injector; Vectored Retro-thrusters

Troops: Fire Warrior Alpha (15#, 235 Pts)
12 Fire Warrior @ 235 Pts
Add Shas'ui; Pulse Rifle (x12); Add Devilfish
1 Devilfish @ [100] Pts
Burst Cannon; Gun Drones; Multi-Tracker; Flechette Discharger; Landing Gear

Troops: Fire Warrior Beta (15#, 235 Pts)
12 Fire Warrior @ 235 Pts
Pulse Rifle (x12); Add Devilfish
1 Shas'ui @ [25] Pts
1 Devilfish @ [100] Pts
Burst Cannon; Gun Drones; Multi-Tracker; Flechette Discharger; Landing Gear

Troops: Kroot (10#, 70 Pts)
10 Kroot @ 70 Pts
Kroot Rifle (x10)

Elite: Stealth Suit (5#, 147 Pts)
2 Stealth Suit @ 147 Pts
Burst Cannon (x2); Targeting Array (x2)
1 Team Leader @ [67] Pts
Fusion Blaster; Add Gun Drone; Hard-wired Drone Controller; Targeting Array (x1)
2 Gun Drone @ [20] Pts

Elite: Crisis Battlesuit Alpha (2#, 96 Pts)
2 Crisis Battlesuit @ 96 Pts
Twin Linked Missile Pod; Target Lock

Elite: Crisis Battlesuit Beta (2#, 124 Pts)
2 Crisis Battlesuit @ 124 Pts
Missile Pod; Plasma Rifle; Multi-Tracker

Fast Attack: Piranha Light Skimmer Alpha (4#, 135 Pts)
2 Piranha Light Skimmer @ 135 Pts
Fusion Blaster (x2); Gun Drones (x2); Targeting Array (x1)
2 Gun Drones @ [0] Pts
Twin Linked Pulse Carbines

Fast Attack: Piranha Light Skimmer Beta (3#, 85 Pts)
1 Piranha Light Skimmer @ 85 Pts
Fusion Blaster (x1); Gun Drones (x1); Targeting Array (x1); Flechette Discharger (x1); Decoy Launchers (x1)
2 Gun Drones @ [0] Pts
Twin Linked Pulse Carbines

Fast Attack: Gun Drone Squadron (5#, 60 Pts)
5 Gun Drone Squadron @ 60 Pts
Twin Linked Pulse Carbines (x5)

Heavy Support: Hammerhead Gunship (1#, 180 Pts)
1 Hammerhead Gunship @ 180 Pts
Railgun; Smart Missile System; Targeting Array; Multi-Tracker; Blacksun Filter; Target Lock; Landing Gear

Heavy Support: Broadside Battlesuit Alpha (1#, 88 Pts)
1 Broadside Battlesuit @ 88 Pts
Team Leader(Broadside); Twinlinked Railgun; Smart Missile System; Hard-wired Blacksun Filter; Advanced Stabilisation System

Heavy Support: Broadside Battlesuit Beta (2#, 161 Pts)
1 Broadside Battlesuit @ 161 Pts
Broadside Battlesuit; Team Leader(Broadside); Twinlinked Railgun; Smart Missile System; Hard-wired Multi-tracker; Hard-wired Target Lock; Blacksun Filter
1 Broadside Battlesuit @ [73] Pts
Twinlinked Railgun; Smart Missile System; Blacksun Filter

Total Roster Cost: 1751 (actually 1730 – but that was my fault)

Arriving at the Museum to find it in ruins and that the Green Bellies had already got something called a Demolisher Tank working, The Shas’o surveyed the enemy, which seem to consist of two giant Battlewagons, a small group of Bikers, barrage launchers, rocket launchers, flamers, trunks with screaming Orks all covered in heavy, gaudy red plates of thick metal and crawling with were apparently called grots.

Then suddenly they Orks seem to organise as one terrible horde and all the vehicles rumbled noisily into life, like an oily black worm. From out of the sun a number of inelegant fighter-bomber vehicles rain down bombs onto the assembled Fire caste, once the smoke is cleared, not a single unit has suffered.

The battle raged long and hard (we started playing at 8.30pm and finished around 1am) valiant DevilFish died because of the lack of Decoy launchers, while the pilots of the Piranha’s did indeed get to taste the bitter fruits of those holo food programmes.

The Orks were all aboard vehicles, which meant they managed to assault time after time, decimating my troops, and it was only the sterling efforts of detached Gun Drone that stopped the lose of more XV suits. The Stealth team foolishly moved too close to a Battlewagon and the disgorged Orks dispatched them immediately. Hammerheads generally proved their worth, but Grot fixits are just incredible at getting massive point units back into the game.

While the Kroot survived to near the end of battle, their charge against a Nob and his single companion proved their downfall, his mega armour was only scratched and never penetrated. How do you deal with troop units led by 2+ ers?

One small victory was the killing of their Warboss from a Piranha’s Fusion Blaster instant kill, but the loss of the Hammerhead to power claws sent shivers down the entire cadre. I'm loving Deep Striking Gun Drones

At the end of the battle (6 turns) both armies and commanders were exhausted and once the losses were counted neither truly felt like they were a victor, although the indomitable Orks were seen celebrity long into the night anyway. Incredibly I was exactly 175 points less than the Orks and at 10% of 1750 that was a draw, but only just.

This was my second Warhammer 40K (ok I played a few games 10 years ago) while my very worthy opponent has only a few more scalps to his name, he is a masterful Warhammer fantasy player.

I would love to hear other Tauism of how to deal with Speed Freaks, who have vehicles for troop choices and can get into assault range with many units turn 1 and 2.

We’re up for some 500 pt games soon and I’ll try and draw maps, take pictures, not burn my mouth eating pizza and WIN.

For the Greater Good.

PS – At some point I’ll post some fluff about my Au'Toshan 3rd phase colony social experiment.
Old 31 Jul 2007, 12:24   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: [BatRep] Au'toshan War 2, Tau Hybrid vs Ork Speed Freak - 1750 pts

A deeply fun and rewarding game. If only my trademark lucky dice rolls had held out on those glancing hits! *Shakes fist*

Uglud deserved it, 'e was a mincin' git!

My rebuttal is up now!
badusernametag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Jul 2007, 13:00   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

nicely written. about the 2+ save isnt there a rule that with mixed saves you use the majority?
Old 31 Jul 2007, 13:26   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by seven324
nicely written. about the 2+ save isn't there a rule that with mixed saves you use the majority?
Yes but you see unless you get hit with a torrent of fire and taken out in one go you usually get whittled down to a couple, allowing you to start using the better save. It works more often than not for me. Also having a mega armoured nob allows you to take the juicy one shot scorcha upgrade,which with it's S5 AP4 cuts through those fire warriors like a hot knife through butter.
badusernametag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Aug 2007, 13:45   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by badusernametag
Quote:
Originally Posted by seven324
nicely written. about the 2+ save isn't there a rule that with mixed saves you use the majority?
Yes but you see unless you get hit with a torrent of fire and taken out in one go you usually get whittled down to a couple, allowing you to start using the better save. It works more often than not for me. Also having a mega armoured nob allows you to take the juicy one shot scorcha upgrade,which with it's S5 AP4 cuts through those fire warriors like a hot knife through butter.
Yup effectively the rest of the Orks in the mob are meat shields for the Mega Armour'd Nob. Unless I get lucky and wipe out the entire unit in shooting, there is every chance he'll get into CC and massacre my Tau and even Kroot who of coarse don't have power weapons either.

In the last game he had a Burna boy left with him. The Nob took every wound dealt to him, making saves each time so the 2 Ork team just wandered around smashing stuff. I have to learn to spread out more.