Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Need suggestions for efficient crisis config.
Old 26 Jul 2007, 17:27   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Need suggestions for efficient crisis config.

I have traded most of my Tau to build my armor company, but i am left with a few fire warriors, 12 xv15's and a crisis suit. A combat patrol tourney is coming up and I thought this would be a great use for my tau.
I have 6 fire warriors 60
I can use 8 to 10 XV15's 240-300
I have 40, 70, or 100 pts to spend an a suit.
what do you suggest.
By the way Cities of Death is the setting. I expect to face mostly marines and chaos marines, with some nids, eldar, and necrons.
thanks in advance to all the crisis config gurus out there.
Old 26 Jul 2007, 17:46   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: Need suggestions for efficient crisis config.

Normally I would go with the stock Fireknife. But in Cities of Death, denying a cover save to GEQ troops becomes very important. I might give the AFP/Flamer configuration a shot.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jul 2007, 18:03   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I agree w/ Khanaris that AFP and flamer can have great success, especially given how slow marines will be moving in a cities of death terrain setting. AFP can be defended against by deploying units using multiple levels of a building, but a large blast template with no cover save (combined with a flamer template, also no cover save) will clear troops efficiently.
However, since you will be facing marine players with 3+ save models saturating his/her list, I would consider a plasma rifle and cyclic ion blaster with a multi-tracker. That should run you about 65 points. Hardwire the MT and add a targeting array for 15 more points. With that config the models will still have a cover save where applicable (likely 5+ or 4+) but many of your wounds will bypass their armor.
Hope that helps.
nojinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jul 2007, 19:08   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Well you've got quantity of firepower in those XV-15s (the better looking model ). But then If its marines and nids then your going to need some staying power.

Might I suggest the Helios setup if you are running two XV-8s (Thus having one large XV-15 squad and an XV-8 or two.)

For your commander I would suggest the AFP for the nids, but then take either a plasma rifle or missile pod to get some high strenght hits in as well, take a multi-tracker as well, because then you won't waste shots with this guy.

You could take a T/L flamer as well, but in a Combat Patrol with CSM that may not be a wise tactic.

Genmotty
Genmotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jul 2007, 19:11   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to Funshade

ok guys i have been messing with a few crisis suit configurations as you may or may not know but one of the glory ones that i found that work actually really well

Twin flamer
Missile pod

the 36" shot from pretty much anywhere allows you to hit small tanks or medium infantry from pretty far away then as your moving forwards that twin flamer can just rape light infantry and still do a bit of damaged to heavy infantry.
I have half the weight
I will have five times the stamina
~those who never louse... always win~
Funshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jul 2007, 19:17   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

The AFP is a grat weapon for COD.

That being said, the best weapon all around for a crisis suit is the missile pod.

So I would take the following

Crisis, Shas'vre, Twin Linked Missile Pods, AFP, HWMT - 78 points

This way you have some highly accurate missiles to deal with light vehicles or whatever and the AFP for denying cover saves. This is a very sweet machine.
Old 26 Jul 2007, 20:07   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

I'd recommend a burst cannon/Missile Pod. Lot's of shots, decent range.

The only problem is you are light on anti-vehicle weapons. With so much pulse firepower, a Missile Pod/Fusion, while being odd, might save your butt.

I find the AFP frustrating to use.

Plasma, CIB, and fusion rapidly lose effectiveness when the target has cover saves.

I like Funshade's TL flamer/MP suit. A cool variant could maybe be TL Flamer/Vectored Retros/Stim Injectors.

Mainly depends on the range you want to keep. Since it's COD, the TL Flamer/VT/SI Shas'O could assault units hiding in buildings, if they don't have power weapons, letting your other units close safely to rapid fire range.
daniel.wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jul 2007, 21:30   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

So far I've seen some great ideas here.
Keep them coming. So far I like the twin mp afp hwmt, or maybe one of the configs using flamers, I hadn't thought of that. Thanks again. So far so good.
Old 26 Jul 2007, 21:44   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by israfel420
Crisis, Shas'vre, Twin Linked Missile Pods, AFP, HWMT - 78 points
+1 to israfel
"i like to think of playing against my list as being like punching jelly. you put all your effort in but it just moves out of the way and you cause no damage. then your arm is covered in jelly. and the chicks come out and start wrestling in the jelly, and i drink a beer with stone cold steve austin, and we watch the chicks jelly wrestling, and then the slap-bass funk starts wakka chakka wakka wakka woh" -- Spooky, describing Mech Tau

"You can of course make a list that attempts to work via fragility and easy VP donation and Pathfinders fit into that just fine." -- kai
T0nkaTruckDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jul 2007, 21:54   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

I know this is spam and off topic, but it is good to see the tonkatruckdriver on the forum. I hadn't seen a post from you in a while. I hope all has been well.

Update. I'm not really a Math-hammer wiz, but a friend suggested that it would be better to find a few more firewarriors and go with:
5 xv15
5 xv15
10 Firewarriors.
Becuse of the limit on armor values...blah , blah, blah, math stuff, blah, blah.
What do you think?