Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Kroots and forests
Old 26 Jul 2007, 08:19   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Kroots and forests

How do people actually manage to fit 20 Kroot into a patch of forest and remain 7" from the tree line? In fact how do people fit 20 Kroot + hounds into a forest at all and just get the extra save?

I suppose the obvious answers is to have bigger forests, but I often see people talk about how their kroot sit in forests just shooting out and I just don't see this working unless almost the entire 2x2 square is forested.

(Maybe I should just go have a coffee and think about it some more )
Old 26 Jul 2007, 08:22   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Kroots and forests

That`s the reason I field only 10 strong Kroot units
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jul 2007, 08:52   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

It makes me sad that hardly anyone i know has large amounts of tree terrrain

But when i play on vassal, i make sure there is a forest on both sides of the board, just in case........ on to infiltrate in, one to hide my skimmers behind.....

I wish you could get urban trained Kroot so they get field craft there. I mean it doesn't take much for a shaper to feed his kindred grey and black food for their camo. And im sure its just as easy, or easier to run and jump around urban landscape. Look at parquay (sp?) and im sure you would egt a clearer LOS from the roof of a building than the canopy of trees.

Wishful thinking though

"Yes indeed Giles"
Trick3003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jul 2007, 18:15   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Well looks like you will have to go out and make some larger forest sections.

Or

You group several small (three trees/bushes per terrain) pieces together and argue that it represents and area of forest, then anyone in plain LOS doesn't count as being in cover, but if LOS gos over one of the terrain pieces you start measuring to see how far they are in that piece of terrain.

To be honest we don't do that much since we started pooling resources and alot of us made a big forest each with three pathways or so through it (So you could put models IN the terrain) then the base of that became our measuring line...I'll put up an image later describing it...

Genmotty
Genmotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jul 2007, 18:20   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

You know, you don't have to be more than 6" into a Forest for Kroot to be effective. I mean they still get a 4+ cover save in a forest along with the ability to ignore difficult terrain. But yeah I personally have littel experience with that >6" rule.

As far as fitting a large Kroot squad into any piece of forest, remember only a majority of them have to be in the forest to get the cover save. So if you have 20 Kroot+8 hounds only 15 models need be in the forest for everyone to get the save. Then simply remove those that are not in cover first so you don't lose majority.
Old 26 Jul 2007, 19:22   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Well to illustrate the house rules we used to use.

Where a piece of forest terrain intercepted LOS onto a model we would messure from the start of the piece to the model and if it was >6" then it would be out of LOS, (LOS a and distance v respectfully)

However if a piece of forest terrain was not in the LOS then the model got no cover bonus. (LOS b) It really used to make some fun games when you could effectively hide your entire army behind a hedgerow and then you got some very fun CC when people tried to break the tree line, at other times you would think you would be safe until a vehicle went round your terrain and blasted you from the side.

Genmotty
Genmotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jul 2007, 22:41   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Damian_Alpha

Quote:
Originally Posted by israfel420
As far as fitting a large Kroot squad into any piece of forest, remember only a majority of them have to be in the forest to get the cover save. So if you have 20 Kroot+8 hounds only 15 models need be in the forest for everyone to get the save. Then simply remove those that are not in cover first so you don't lose majority.
Sorry, but no. If part of the unit is in cover, THOSE MODELS get a cover save. Remember, whenever you roll any kind of save, you must remove a model with a save of the type rolled. (In the same way that you cannot remove a gun-drone for a failed save on a Stealth Suit) The difference being, if the majority of the unit that is within range has a cover save, you may roll on that first before worrying about the ones outside of cover.
"I have exactly one-hundred men under my command counting on ME to lead that charge, you two-bit mechanic. I have five seige tanks, eight APC's, an artillery platform and a light mech that need resupply and repair by dusk. I need remote mines set, trenches dug, and my men fed and rested, or those Marines are going to be using us for toothpicks. Get it done, Fio'vre." Officer Sherwin Jackson, 13th Dal'yth Company, to Fio'vre D'nan

"Feed well, my Bretheren. You are what you eat, and we have devoured the mighty." Master Shaper Korl Muur
Damian_Alpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jul 2007, 23:12   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via ICQ to Dagonus Send a message via AIM to Dagonus

Damian's got it there. Mixed armor rules suck like that. Majority takes wounds first then the rest go to the minority.

You're best off with big areas of woods. I've got hopes on putting together a 15-20" diameter(Roughly. It's not going to be a circle) Woods area for just that reason.

Also, if you've got an area of woods that 7" deep, you can just... hide on the opposite side of it and fire through it while they'll be stuck firing 6" through it. The problem there being you're not getting your cover save and if you're flanked, you're boned unless you make a dash to the woods.
Old 26 Jul 2007, 23:36   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to razgriz_cipher

Easy way is to make forests. I might od a tutorial if I get a camera.
Old 27 Jul 2007, 05:57   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trick3003
It makes me sad that hardly anyone i know has large amounts of tree terrrain

But when i play on vassal, i make sure there is a forest on both sides of the board, just in case........ on to infiltrate in, one to hide my skimmers behind.....

I wish you could get urban trained Kroot so they get field craft there. I mean it doesn't take much for a shaper to feed his kindred grey and black food for their camo. And im sure its just as easy, or easier to run and jump around urban landscape. Look at parquay (sp?) and im sure you would egt a clearer LOS from the roof of a building than the canopy of trees.

Wishful thinking though
This is why all of my opponents don't even question me when I say "Concrete Jungle". ;D
I insist upon it since other fieldcrafters get a more dynamic fieldcraft (I think they do anyways, I'll have to check).

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote