Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Question on Pathfinders?
Old 24 Jul 2007, 23:27   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Question on Pathfinders?

Do they have to be deployed with their devilfsh or can they be deployed seperatley also can other units use their devil fish and if so could they be deployed in the devilfish?

Thanks in advance
No 17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jul 2007, 23:47   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: Question on Pathfinders?

They do not need to be deployed in their Devilfish. But it is a Dedicated Transport, which means no other units may use it or be deployed in it.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jul 2007, 00:20   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I thought that they needed to be in the fish? does this mean I've been missing opportunities for rail rifle shots!? Nnnnoooooo!
IlikeCake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jul 2007, 01:16   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

If your using your pathfinders for rail rifles shots your already missing out on the great usefullness of markerlights! Allow me to further elaborate.

Assuming your fighting MEQs as so many of us often have too, then lets look at the killing power of a markerlight compared to a rail rifle. When a pathfinder is lighting for say, a fish of fury team he will (on average) cause four more shots to hit, those four shots will wound on 3's meaning 2.64 wounds of which 0.8712 will not be saved. Compared to a rail rifle which will hit half the time (.5 hits) and wound 0.41666 times without saves. However, "upgrading" a markerlight to a rail rifle cost almost double again! Therefore, a pair of markerlight pathfinders (when used in conjunction with FoF squads) will kill four times what a rail rifle pathfinder will kill, for only four more points! A clear choice I should think! Of course, rail rifles are cool, and are quite nice for intimidation, but are not on the whole as valuable!
Old 25 Jul 2007, 02:05   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Here's a question on the same topic. How do you Field a pathfinders squad without using a ton of points to Field them. I'd take them in tournaments but the devilfish is way too pricey for a unit that won't use it, I'd rather be using it for a fire warriors squad.

Also, should I spend the points to throw some drones in the squad to beef it up a little bit, because right now they're a huge target to anyone smart enough to know their value. It doesn't matter what kind of terrain i put them in they always get torn apart, they don't fit will in my army tactics at all.
Old 25 Jul 2007, 02:20   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

With about 40 points of upgrades a devilfish becomes a useful gunship, or without upgrades it can be used as part of a skimmer wall for FoF's where my fish finds itself in most situations. As for drones, I haven't any experience with them in squads, sorry.
Old 25 Jul 2007, 03:28   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via ICQ to Dagonus Send a message via AIM to Dagonus

Quote:
Originally Posted by waters
How do you Field a pathfinders squad without using a ton of points to Field them.
You could field the adhoc pathfinder squad of 6 Firewarriors and 2 markerlight drones with the Ui of the FWs havinga markerlight. that's 3 lights for something like 150 points... give or take... Its got 5 ablative wounds too.
Old 25 Jul 2007, 03:58   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Damian_Alpha

Don't think about it as a "point loss". Try writing the devilfish's information COMPLETELY Separate from the Pathfinders. It's not that you have to have this very nice, drone/missile dropping vehicle, it's that you GET to have it. A well-kitted warfish with TA, MT, DecLaunch, and SeekMis is roughly 140 points for a AV12 rolling battle wagon that most BASIC infantry can't scratch. Another way to look at it is as a down-graded sky ray, but it can rescue the Pathfinders in case of emergency.

Personally, I preffer Sniper drones: Yes, they are easier to kill when you get close, but they have the ability to split fire with every member of the unit. They have a high-accuracy markerlight, and multiple Meq-popping, IC-blasting punk weapons for roughly 20 points a model (cheaper than the upgrades they actually come with).
"I have exactly one-hundred men under my command counting on ME to lead that charge, you two-bit mechanic. I have five seige tanks, eight APC's, an artillery platform and a light mech that need resupply and repair by dusk. I need remote mines set, trenches dug, and my men fed and rested, or those Marines are going to be using us for toothpicks. Get it done, Fio'vre." Officer Sherwin Jackson, 13th Dal'yth Company, to Fio'vre D'nan

"Feed well, my Bretheren. You are what you eat, and we have devoured the mighty." Master Shaper Korl Muur
Damian_Alpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jul 2007, 08:20   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Sorry I know this is kinda a noob question but what does MEQ stand for?
No 17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jul 2007, 09:38   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

MEQ = Marine Equivalent, everything with T4 and a 3+ save (i.e. Necrons, as well).

TEQ = Terminator Equivalent: everything with T4 and 2+ save

GEQ = Guard Equivalent: Everything with T3 and 5+ save.

Hope this helps.
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote