Starting (or already started) Tau
Old 24 Jul 2007, 05:06   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Starting (or already started) Tau

I just burned 150 bucks on
2 Hammerheads
2 Devilfish
4 Broadsides

I thought about going back to IG or doing some Tau ... picked a winner i guess. Anyways i need some advice. I want to make a MECH Tau army and i want to know what else i should add on.

Ok 2 boxes of FW .. 1 Command Suit .... maybe some Xv8s ... but how what else should i aim for if i want a half static half mobilized army that's shooty shooty.
Old 24 Jul 2007, 05:24   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to Funshade
Default Re: Starting (or already started) Tau

well first off your in a bit of trouble with points. the max you can fit in a broadside squad is 3, and the hammer heads fill up the other slot

when your making the list put the fish with the troops and crisis suits. thats on your way to mech tau. most of the "static" units of tau would mostly be fire warriors without a fish, Brodsides, Sniper drone teams, pathfinders (it says fast attack i know but trust me...)
I have half the weight
I will have five times the stamina
~those who never louse... always win~
Funshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jul 2007, 05:54   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

FW in DF so they act as my mobile scoring units as well as ambush squads. Trying to max out MP and SMS in my army. What are good JSJ units?

HQ
Commander (undecided on armoury)
any suggestions for a good shooty and JSJ commander ..
Elite
3 Xv8 MP and something else
[considering stealth suits]
Troop
FW in DF
any upgrades reccomended?
FW in DF
upgrades?
Fast Attack
10 Gun Drones
Heavy Support
3 Broadsides
2 Hammerheads (upgrades?)

imma buy a codex as soon as i find the money for it ....
Old 24 Jul 2007, 09:11   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redemption

Well it would have been my advice to buy that first. Then you would have known about the upgrades vailable, and the FoC, i.e 4 BS and 2 Hammer heads is too much. You will find it tough to play without one, unless one of your mates has a codex you can borrow.

I bought my Codex months before i got my army, partly becuase im a poor teenager who moved out and can't afford luxuries often and partly i wanted to make sure i knew what i was talking about before i started playing.

If you look on the Tau army lists child board you will find some really good lists which people use in tournaments, and some unusual ones as well....

But as a quick pointer,

Devil Fish, FoF (search it) you needs DF with SMS, Decoys, Multi tracker, can move 12" drop 12 fire warriors within 12" of the target and rip off 7 shots from your DF and 24 from the warriors. If you pair two of them up your get a real killer. Like i said search it, magic buttons...ooooooooh

I personally dont like stealth suits and will take XV8s instead, Deathrains are my favourite, TL MP and a Targetting array. You hit most of the time, 36" range, and JSJ. These guys are hard! They get a bit pricey, but to see your oppenents face when 5 of 6 s7 shots hit, priceless.

Gun Drones, humm, cant have a sqaud of 10 im afraid. And i wouldn't recommend if you could, too large a footprint. These are good for deepstriking and hitting the rear armor of tanks. But you plan on having 2 HH and 3 BS for that.....

Your hammer heads, i would recommend 1 ion and 1 rail turret. I only take Burst cannons to keep price down. I allways take a multi tracker, and if i can afford it Decoys.

Lastly, commander, i allways try to keep them cheap. Shas'el, Targetting array, Multitracker, MP and Plasma. I think thats just over 100 pts. Decent rate of fire and hard hitting. You can take what some people call a centurion i think, which is Shas el, Cyclic ion blaster, Burst cannon and a targetting array. 8 shots hitting on 2's. Not very strong though.

Good luck

P.S I know nothing, dont take my advice unless your braindead

"Yes indeed Giles"
Trick3003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jul 2007, 15:37   #5 (permalink)
lonely tau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trick3003
P.S I know nothing, dont take my advice unless your braindead
Don't tell him that, he's likely to do it! :P (oh, BURN man!)

Anyways, my first advice would be to slap yourself for buying 4 Broadsides and no Fire Warriors or Codex. If you had gotten 2 boxes of Fire Warriors and thecodex you could have played your Tau army this weekend with us :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redemption
FW in DF so they act as my mobile scoring units as well as ambush squads. Trying to max out MP and SMS in my army. What are good JSJ units?

HQ
Commander (undecided on armoury)
any suggestions for a good shooty and JSJ commander ..
Elite
3 Xv8 MP and something else
[considering stealth suits]
Troop
FW in DF
any upgrades reccomended?
FW in DF
upgrades?
Fast Attack
10 Gun Drones
Heavy Support
3 Broadsides
2 Hammerheads (upgrades?)

O.K., so we'll start with your HQ. Depending on if you want to use it against MEQs you will be favoring a Cyclic Ion Blaster, Plasma Rifle, Multi-Tracker, and then a couple of extra goodies (Stimulant Injector the best of them ^_^). There are various other configurations to use, so for more I'd suggest checking out the important topics section.

For the Missile Pod suits, I'd suggest either twin-linking them and giving them a Targetting Array, or giving them a Burst cannon and Multi-Tracker. Either way, you've got a unit that is effective at dealing with most unit types and can send a welcoming salvo of missiles that could do some damage to most vehicles. Either way, good configurations.

Stealth suits are a very controversial unit around here, as some people believe that they don't have much of a role in the army because Crisis Suits can fill it just as easily, and others believe that they are a great unit for the JSJ stealthed Burst Cannons. Personally, I fit into the second category and would advise a squad of about 4 Stealth Suits. For 120 points you're putting out an annoying 12 S5 AP5 shots that have to be countered with plenty of speed. Definitely worth it in my opinion, but it all depends on how you like playing your Tau later on.

For mounted Fire Warriors there are 2 main camps for what to upgrade them with, the all or nothing camp, or the cheap camp. Personally I would fit into one or the other at any given time. There is always one upgrade you want to give your Devilfish though, the Decoy Launchers. Decoy Launchers are great if you keep your fish moving as your opponent can only glance and the DLs make your opponent reroll an immobilized roll, keeping them alive.

The first camp for Mounted Fire Warriors I'm going over will be the cheapo camp. The cheapo camp is simply a set amount of Fire Warriors (10-12) with no upgrades what so ever, and a Devilfish with Decoy Launchers. This unit is better for defensive tactics as it lacks the Smart Missile System's range and the Warfish's(get to that next) accuracy. This unit will cost an average of 185-205 points, mainly depending on the Fire Warriors inside.

The second camp for Mounted Fire Warriors is the Quality camp, IE, "throw all the effective things on it". The nickname for the devilish in this camp is called the "Warfish", and quite fittingly too. The Warfish features a Smart Missile System, a Multi-Tracker, Targetting Array, and Decoy Launcher. to add to the firepower of it, you have the base Burst Cannon on the nose, which can put out an additional 3 shots to the Smart Missile's 4, making a grand total of 7 at BS4. The average squad size in my Warfishes are still like the normal Mounted squads, 10-12, as in my opinion the ideal number for Fire Warriors is 24-36. these units are generally from 220-240 points, once again depending on Fire Warriors.

For the Fast Attack slot, Drones are hard to beat, but if you are choosing them just for what they did in our game over Vassal, you'll want to choose something else definitely. A good choice would be Pathfinders with a cheapo Devilfish, as they work for Markerlights increasing your armie's Ballistic Skill, reducing enemy Leadership, or all sorts of fun things. And as Trick mentioned, you can only have up to 8 drones in a squad. I'd suggest using the full squad of 8 unless you're worried about a footprint, in which case 6 is a great number for Gun Drone Squads.

Now on your Heavy Support you are one broadside over, in my opinion, but that is easily fixed. First of all, 2 squads of 2 Broadsides and 1 Hammerhead would work well, or 1 squad of 3 Broadsides with 2 Hammerheads to fill in the rest of the points are great, if you're in a large enough game for that. The Broadsides cost quite a bit as it is, with 70 points a pop without upgrades, meaning you'll be paying out the arse for the trio of them, as awesome Tank Busters as they are. All in all, they are weighed down by their lack of mobility, and although they do have an upgrade which helps them with that, it is definitely not the most effective one out there.

Now for the other half of your Heavy Support, the Hammerheads, you have many different options open to you. The first of the two major questions are, which gun? The Ion Cannon is a good anti-MEQ weapon, and light vehicle weapon, with AP3 and S7 that still outranges most weapons with the acception of Indirect Fire and Battle Cannons/Railguns. Personally, if you're fielding 2 Hammerheads I would say you should go with 1 of each, so you have a balance of weapons there. Now for upgrades on the tanks, Burst Cannons keep them cheap and the Multi-Tracker allows them to remain mobile. After that I'd suggest the almost required Decoy Launcher, as it helps the survivability of said unit. Of these two tanks, the Railhead (Railgun mounted Hammerhead) should cost 165 with Burst cannons, 175 with SMS, and the Ionhead (Ion Cannon mounted Hammerhead) should come out to about 130 for Burst Cannons, and 140 for Smart Missiles.

Hope this helped you out a bit, and if you want more advice the forum is here for a reason