Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Broadside Help
Old 24 Jul 2007, 00:34   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Broadside Help

What should i tak ewith my broadside, apart from smart missiles and railguns. Either the multi-tracker, target lock, missile pod, or shield gen. I was kinda thinking of using the shield gen and getting a HW multi-tracker, so i can use both weps. Give me some feedback,

Billy Reloaded

billy reloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jul 2007, 00:36   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to captain_octavain
Default Re: Broadside Help

I would Just give them a MT and keep them cheap. A shield generator is a waist of points a non HQ model w/ a great save.
for preserving my rights
to live and die for this life
and paying the ultimate price for me to be...FREE!
captain_octavain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jul 2007, 00:46   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Im sure there is a broadside tactica on here somewhere. I recall Tralfagar did it. Hes quite good with his broadsides, its fearsome stuff. Ill provide a link.

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=48842.0
BurntEskimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jul 2007, 00:54   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

I prefer the Shield Gen if alone or Target Lock if they are in a squad .

Multi Tracker is ok when you are also armed with Plasma Rifles but they are not very useful with SMS because the two weapons have such different battlefield rolls . Rail Canons are for smashing heavy armor and the SMS is for infantry .

I am your lighted way and I am your darkest day. -Godsmack
Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jul 2007, 01:03   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Broadsides now come standard out of the Fio Lab with the Advanced Stabilization System. You can't get 'em with anything else.

Of course I'm exaggerating, but I haven't yet heard a good argument why anyone would want to take anything else. It's far and away the most useful upgrade for the 3rd hardpoint on an XV88.
"i like to think of playing against my list as being like punching jelly. you put all your effort in but it just moves out of the way and you cause no damage. then your arm is covered in jelly. and the chicks come out and start wrestling in the jelly, and i drink a beer with stone cold steve austin, and we watch the chicks jelly wrestling, and then the slap-bass funk starts wakka chakka wakka wakka woh" -- Spooky, describing Mech Tau

"You can of course make a list that attempts to work via fragility and easy VP donation and Pathfinders fit into that just fine." -- kai
T0nkaTruckDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jul 2007, 02:32   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via AIM to EOAdonis

First of all, you can't take a missile pod on the broadside. It can only have two weapon systems, the railguns, and either the smart missiles or the plasma rifles.

In my opinion it all comes down to what you think you'll be up against. If you think your opponent will have lots of heavy weapons aimed at you, go with the shield generator or shield drones. Otherwise, I like the Advanced Stabilization System more than anything.

My favorite loadout is the stabilization system and then a hard wired drone controller with two shield drones. Then either the SMS or the PR, depending on what I feel like at the time, and maybe a hard wired multi-tracker.

For thee, my Lord, for thee.

Power hath descended forth from Thy hand

Our feet may swiftly carry out Thy commands.

So we shall flow a river forth to Thee

And teeming with souls shall it ever be.

In Nomeni Patri Et Fili Spiritus Sancti."
EOAdonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jul 2007, 04:37   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Damian_Alpha

I have never used A.S.S. since I developed PMS, the "Plasmaside March of Supression" ;D Compare relative costs:

Crisis suit with TL-Plasma, Targeting Array, and Irridium Armor: 85 points (assuming you could give irridium to a lowly shas'ui) SEVERELY LIMITED JSJ capacity.

Plasmaside with Multi-Tracker: 85 points. Loses JSJ, gains an anti-tank weapon.

Coincidence? :sadnshocked:
I THINK NOT!!!

Since Broadsides benefit from the crisis's stable-platform type rule (May max-range rapid fire weaponry even after moving, and may assault with such), I can footstomp my way up to the enemy, cement my location, and anihilate my targets with great selectivity.
"I have exactly one-hundred men under my command counting on ME to lead that charge, you two-bit mechanic. I have five seige tanks, eight APC's, an artillery platform and a light mech that need resupply and repair by dusk. I need remote mines set, trenches dug, and my men fed and rested, or those Marines are going to be using us for toothpicks. Get it done, Fio'vre." Officer Sherwin Jackson, 13th Dal'yth Company, to Fio'vre D'nan

"Feed well, my Bretheren. You are what you eat, and we have devoured the mighty." Master Shaper Korl Muur
Damian_Alpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jul 2007, 07:23   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Nuke

I like to keep my Broadsides behind a nice piece of cover until they're needed. I then use the A.S.S. that, as Tonka said, all of my Broadsides come standard with. It puts their usefulness through the roof, especially if your opponent gets 1st turn, as they won't be lascannon fodder. Heck, some games they sit there blasting away with their SMS until turn 4 or 5 when an opportune target presents itself.

This way, you can sometimes fool your opponent into thinking that you plan to use your Broadsides as an indirect light support unit (a job which they can actually do quite well in certain conditions, especially with Markerlight support.) as opposed to an anti-tank/big nasty unit. Heck, sometimes people will even forget about them. Once they move something into the open, boom! Target eliminated. They can then slink back behind cover to resume blasting away in [almost] total safety.

I could honestly probably go on a 10 minute rant about how useful the A.S.S. can be, but I'll leave it at that.

"He who opens a school door, closes a prison." -Victor Hugo
Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jul 2007, 11:48   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damian_Alpha
Since Broadsides benefit from the crisis's stable-platform type rule (May max-range rapid fire weaponry even after moving, and may assault with such), ...
No they don't. That benefit is conferred by the Jet Pack as described on p.55 of the BBB. Broadsides don't have Jet Packs. The only way you can move and fire the Plasma Rifle on a Broadside out to 24" is if you give them the Slow and Purposeful USR by equipping the A.S.S.
"i like to think of playing against my list as being like punching jelly. you put all your effort in but it just moves out of the way and you cause no damage. then your arm is covered in jelly. and the chicks come out and start wrestling in the jelly, and i drink a beer with stone cold steve austin, and we watch the chicks jelly wrestling, and then the slap-bass funk starts wakka chakka wakka wakka woh" -- Spooky, describing Mech Tau

"You can of course make a list that attempts to work via fragility and easy VP donation and Pathfinders fit into that just fine." -- kai
T0nkaTruckDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jul 2007, 12:13   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge

People take Broadsides ASS-less? Oh my god.....

I know I'm odd for running them naked (its worked so far....) but I havn't yet the points for shield drones (or models, grumble) but ASS is by far and away the best thing for them - it made them useful in 4th

Simple - sit them behind area, your turn, move forward through terrain, and Blam. Your opponent just lost all his tanks.

Awww.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote