Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Kroot Mercenaries
Old 23 Jul 2007, 07:28   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Kroot Mercenaries

I'm playing against my friends new kroot mercanary list next weekend for the first time,
and i have no idea how to play against them.

we are playing a 1k game and i usually play hybrid

things i want to know are: -what to take and what not to take
-how to equip suits
-tactics/tips

thanks in advance.
WaterCooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jul 2007, 09:03   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Kroot Mercenaries

It would help if you could tell us what you run in a 1k army. For the moment though- expect multiple squads of infiltrating space chickens. With guns and chainswords.
shaso_montyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jul 2007, 09:18   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Hmmmm.... chickens.... ;D

Well, from what I know, going Mech could be an answer (going Mech is ALWAYS the answer!), since I honestly doubt that the Kroot have much in the way of anti-tank firepower...
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jul 2007, 12:38   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterCooler
I'm playing against my friends new kroot mercanary list next weekend for the first time,
and i have no idea how to play against them.

we are playing a 1k game and i usually play hybrid

things i want to know are: -what to take and what not to take
-how to equip suits
-tactics/tips

thanks in advance.
kroot cant deal with armour reliably. your fishes and hammerheads are your friends.

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Deadnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jul 2007, 14:53   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Damian_Alpha

No, they aren't. Keep in mind, only you heavy support vehicles and piranhas will be scoring units: if he gets at the side armor of your piranhas, or infiltrates in mastercrafted melta/plasma, they're going to get blown to pieces.

Secondly, he IS going to survive to get into close combat, and your infantry IS going to get ripped to hell. The Kroot Mercs have a number of Winged or Fleet units that can catch up to you, as well as getting closer infiltration distance. Additionally, if he takes the Orky or Sixth Sense adaptations, you are going to have a much harder time taking them out.

Try to take out his HQ units as fast as possible, as these will probably have the best anti-skimmer weaponry. Kroot squads as stalls/infiltrate push-backs also work (both sides die off pretty quick, but it's better than losing FW teams).

Most importantly, an ethereal will be a significant aid; kroot cannot perform sweeping advances, so if you selectively aim to fail your morale test after losing combat, an you're able to run far enough away from them, it's Regroup and Rapid Fire for the Fire Warriors. ;D

Most importantly, keep LOS around cover. Parking your crisis suits behind area terrain is nice, but when it allows an enemy who can ignore forests for difficult terrain to start off ANOTHER 6" closer, you're just hurting yourself. Leave no gaps in coverage, or they WILL dive on top of you.

However, your best weapon will be pulse carbines; Kroot don't have much special in the way of leadership, so by forcing multiple pinning checks they WILL eventually fail...AND you can perform a firing retreat. Take as many markerlights as you can on your more stationary units; dropping the Kroot's cover save will save your army MUCH time, and you can increase BS for when they are in the open.

Here's what I suggest for your units:

Crisis suits: Kroot have nothing special as far as armor go, and are really reliant upon their cover save. Go with burst cannons, flamers, or missile pods: fusion and plasma are overkill. Airbursting fragmentation projector will also do some nasty damage, see if you can afford one on your suits.

Fire Warriors: Several smaller squads with pulse carbines will do the trick: the Kroot only have a 4+ save at best (most of the time), so only two or three wounds are necessary to force pinning.

Piranha: These will have a great survivability, as long as you can keep a good distance from the kroot. Don't try to rush them, or you will find yourself surrounded and dead. The ability to drop drone squads is a boon here.

Gun Drones: Same as Fire Warriors

Gunships: If you ARE going to take a Hammerhead, take some markerlights as well, so that you can throw out a S6 AP4 pie plate that ignores cover saves. Sky ray is very nice in this aspect, as it's mobile markerlights and burst cannons can do serious damage with reduced saves.

Pathfinders/Sniper teams: These two units will be your best friends, especially the sniper teams. The high-accuracy markerlights are great for reducing coversaves.
"I have exactly one-hundred men under my command counting on ME to lead that charge, you two-bit mechanic. I have five seige tanks, eight APC's, an artillery platform and a light mech that need resupply and repair by dusk. I need remote mines set, trenches dug, and my men fed and rested, or those Marines are going to be using us for toothpicks. Get it done, Fio'vre." Officer Sherwin Jackson, 13th Dal'yth Company, to Fio'vre D'nan

"Feed well, my Bretheren. You are what you eat, and we have devoured the mighty." Master Shaper Korl Muur
Damian_Alpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jul 2007, 18:47   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Another thing to throw in there. Dont use kroot. His kroot will just dominate your kroot. Hands down. I played against a kroot merc player awhile back and he used some really cheap things.

Somehow all his kroot shapers had 3+ saves, powerfists and fleet. He was throwing Adaptions all around. It was pretty ridiculous. Dont let any kroot merc player do this to you. I was suspicious the entire game. Found out later he was a huge cheater. It was pretty ridiculous. However, I still won. The guy used no stategy except run at me. I just hovered my tanks around, blocked assaults. He did claim he could run underneath my devilfish also. No matter though, I still kicked his arse. I lost only 1 entire firewarrior squad.

So skimmers are your best bet obviously. Against this notorious cheater, who took at least 500Pts more than me, I still won with good skimmers.

Good Luck,

BE
BurntEskimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jul 2007, 19:31   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Actually, IIRC Tau cano out kroot the kroot. I think he is spending extra points on Shapers, he has to buy the kroot armor (which kroot rifles pen) and the adaptations and wargear add more points as well (and we all know how useful plasma and powerfists are against t3 a:- units...). Personally, I would go heavy on the kroot and skimmers. Lots of hammerheads, pirahnas with BC and warfish.

Also, make sure to pillbox your kroot. Straight kroot with shapers or hounds or anything are one of the most effective units against infantry in shooting, and if he rushes them you get first turn.
Madscientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jul 2007, 19:34   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurntEskimo
Another thing to throw in there. Dont use kroot. His kroot will just dominate your kroot. Hands down. I played against a kroot merc player awhile back and he used some really cheap things.

Somehow all his kroot shapers had 3+ saves, powerfists and fleet. He was throwing Adaptions all around. It was pretty ridiculous. Dont let any kroot merc player do this to you. I was suspicious the entire game. Found out later he was a huge cheater. It was pretty ridiculous. However, I still won. The guy used no stategy except run at me. I just hovered my tanks around, blocked assaults. He did claim he could run underneath my devilfish also. No matter though, I still kicked his D'yi. I lost only 1 entire firewarrior squad.

So skimmers are your best bet obviously. Against this notorious cheater, who took at least 500Pts more than me, I still won with good skimmers.

Good Luck,

BE
That dude is a cheater... damn... 3+ save kroot? I would have stopped him right there. And you only get one adaptation.

Cheers!
Originally Posted by Faolin
"Human nature" only prevents a better future if we accept it as unchangeable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechTau
Shasocastris, since my return to these boards, nothing has made a bigger impression than you and your views.
shasocastris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jul 2007, 20:33   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

yes, but the only kroot with the 3+ saves where the shapers....So thats 3 wounds to go through o.0

This is one of those guys that will argue his way to the death, so I figured I'd just go with it. He also thinks all tyranid models are swarms, because it says they swarm there enemies. So he counts his carnifex as a swarm....

Its pretty funny, but sometimes it can get rather annoying. He got into assault with one shaper and it took my entire non-mech army to take that one guy down. It was seriously uncool.
BurntEskimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jul 2007, 21:17   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Eskimo - There is no way even a Master Shaper can get a 3+, the best save any kroot can get is 4+(excluding cover situations). It would definitely be nice to have a more reliable shaper but sadly the Krootses are fragile on a whole.

That being said, everything in your army will negate his saves. Even 4+ cover saves are laughable. Damian_Alpha was on the money regarding pin checks. A Shaper gets them an Ld8 but this is easily failed and if they're pinned outside of cover, there goes a Kroot squad. Missile pods are also nice for the rate of fire and ability to instant kill Shapers, but then again Missile Pods are great for about almost anything.

I disagree with Alpha that your fish are in danger around Shapers. Once you've been assaulted they can always catch up, but hitting and bringing down the skimmer with a glance is no easy task. Anyways If you are playing correctly, and survive the first charge, A Fish of Fury or even constant pulse fire will bring down the squads.

You will however need to watch out for vultures. They have an effective range of 18" and will start that distance away from you (or less!). Your best bet is to use a skimmer (preferably a piranha) to push their infiltration backwards so as to not endanger any stationary units. Even if they bring it down 3" shouldn't bring them into contact with anything else.

With that in mind, you can jam pack your army together as long as each unit is 4" away from the next. The consolidation move is a huge fault (in my opinion) with the Kroot list (but not fluff ). Also bring an Ethereal could be useful but I'd advise against it. Even a 10 man squad of Kroot will severely damage a Fire warrior or Crisis squad and so many a time even if you do break, you'll be under half strength. More over you almost never want to break of from a Kroot Hound squad. Their rules allow for extra attacks in that instance.

Gamewise, make sure to push his inflitration out with a relatively safe unit. Use your superior mobility to flank and surround his units. Use Torrent of Fire (or 'overwound&#39 rules to target Shapers. Feel free to bunch up and mass fire as long as units are 4" away from each other. Finally, don't be too hard on the little guys. The poor Krootses have the worst list in the game and anyone who is playing them is either a glutton for punishment or is an overoptimistic dreamer (like me ).