Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Ethereal + Marker Drones?
Old 22 Jul 2007, 10:38   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Damian_Alpha
Default Ethereal + Marker Drones?

Looking through the codex, Marker Drones seem like a waste. Highly expensive, stationary usage, AND the will retreat with the squad they are attached to.

But that very though got me thinking: if an independant character is attached to a squad, he counts as being part of the squad for shooting purposes. Therefore, if the character has Marker Drones with him, he could use the drones to add fire support to a specialized team.

Let's look at it this way: We have 3 primary stationary units which can significantly benefit from markerlights: Broadsides, Sniper Drone Teams, and Fire Warrior Teams. What do all of them have in common? [glow=red,2,300]These units set up before the HQ units do, and can therefore have the leaders selectively attached as needed during deployment.[/glow]

In this manner, you can support any unit at will with markerlightage for a little over 100 points, granting that unit fearless as well, and letting any other parts of your army with visual benefit from twin-linked leadership. This could be especially helpful in broadside teams, where cover save-negation can boost the kill ratio by %50.

What do you guys think of this tactic?
"I have exactly one-hundred men under my command counting on ME to lead that charge, you two-bit mechanic. I have five seige tanks, eight APC's, an artillery platform and a light mech that need resupply and repair by dusk. I need remote mines set, trenches dug, and my men fed and rested, or those Marines are going to be using us for toothpicks. Get it done, Fio'vre." Officer Sherwin Jackson, 13th Dal'yth Company, to Fio'vre D'nan

"Feed well, my Bretheren. You are what you eat, and we have devoured the mighty." Master Shaper Korl Muur
Damian_Alpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jul 2007, 11:25   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Ethereal + Marker Drones?

It seems like a good idea except for the fact many people wouldn't like to use up a precious HQ choice with an ethereal. I think it is a useful and viable tactic though.
shaso_montyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jul 2007, 12:10   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Ravager

I think this a good idea.
It has some drawbacks though:
What if the team gets hit by infiltrators/fast assaulters?
This takes up a semi-important 2nd HQ slot and only really provides 2 'lights, so there's a 'value for money' issue.

I do however think that this idea should be expanded upon, just to see what we can come up with.

We have done the impossible... and that makes us mighty.
Firefly is pretty much made of Awesome, Funny, and Aww. Sometimes simultaneously. We'd better stop before we quote the entire script.
–tvtropes.org
Ravager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jul 2007, 12:40   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Well, as far as infiltrators go, there's really not much you can do at all, other than try to screen with a skimmer or something along those lines. However, the advantage lies in that you can attach and detach the ethereal at will, thus providing a relatively mobile unit. Heck, if you attach him to some pathfinders, not only will he be adding additional 'lights to the squad, but he makes that vital squad feerless in addition. Additionally, that second HQ slot is only important if you don't have the guns you need from your other suits/vehicles. I do see your point, however, it would be difficult to manage.
"I have exactly one-hundred men under my command counting on ME to lead that charge, you two-bit mechanic. I have five seige tanks, eight APC's, an artillery platform and a light mech that need resupply and repair by dusk. I need remote mines set, trenches dug, and my men fed and rested, or those Marines are going to be using us for toothpicks. Get it done, Fio'vre." Officer Sherwin Jackson, 13th Dal'yth Company, to Fio'vre D'nan

"Feed well, my Bretheren. You are what you eat, and we have devoured the mighty." Master Shaper Korl Muur
Old 22 Jul 2007, 14:47   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

This is an excellent tactic. I'm surprised none of us thought of it before. I usually only have one suit commander and don't normally go for an Aun. But this may make me consider getting one.

Genmotty
Genmotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jul 2007, 15:04   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge

This seems like quite a good idea, actually. I'm still not convinced marker drones are the best way to get markers, but the idea of an Aun directing the fire of a broadside unit sounds damn useful, so maybe this is a great idea to try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jul 2007, 15:58   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via AIM to EOAdonis

I like the idea and I believe it that if used properly it could be very helpful, especially if attached to pathfinders or broadsides. The marker drones could give the pathfinders more markerlight hits and the ethereal would make them fearless. While with the broadsides, besides the obvious benefit of making them fearless, it could make their shots even more reliable.

For thee, my Lord, for thee.

Power hath descended forth from Thy hand

Our feet may swiftly carry out Thy commands.

So we shall flow a river forth to Thee

And teeming with souls shall it ever be.

In Nomeni Patri Et Fili Spiritus Sancti."
EOAdonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jul 2007, 18:46   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Alright, [glow=blue,2,300]here[/glow] is a sample list that uses this tactic. It's a larger-point engagement, but it provides an idea of where you could fit in an ethereal with this loadout. Nothing quite like that puny little ethereal taking down tanks with a little red dot ;D.

Old 22 Jul 2007, 22:29   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

*Sigh* makes me wish I hadn't sold my ethereal (One of the better old models) now.
shaso_montyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jul 2007, 23:16   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

In 1000 pt. games I usually field a monat deathrain with a drone controller and 2 marker drones because of the MPs long range, so the markerlights can match it. I know that this negates the point of the crisis's JSJ ability, but with the long range it usually isn't a problem, and these are the only markerlights I have in my army and they really help.

I was also thinking about adding a HW target lock to the deathrain and making him a team leader if this could allow the drones to shoot at a different target, does anyone know the rules about that? ???
El_Santo is offline   Reply With Quote