Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

The worth of grenades on Tau fire warriors.
Closed Thread
Old 04 Mar 2005, 15:48   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default The worth of grenades on Tau fire warriors.

* * *While I am still fairly new at this warhammer stuff I just got in my first box of firewarriors.* The question I have though is, is it really worth putting Photon grenades or any grenade of that sort on them or should I save the points for other things?* I know that also things are suppose to be physically represented on the figures and I don't want to put something that I don't actually want on them and try to remove them later (I saw that the process isn't very easy or desirable in a post about crisis suits and magnests, hey how does that one work anyway?) and I don't want to mess up a paint job to try an add them later.* I was reading through the FAQs and I know that tau shouldn't close combat at all but is there any good sides to grenades?

-Hipcat, the shady cat
Old 04 Mar 2005, 15:53   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: The worth of grenades on Tau fire warriors.

I have never found photon grenades to be worth the points on Fire Warriors. They can be an unpleasant surprise for close-combat armies, but if they have enough models for the loss of the charging attack to effect them, then they probably have enough models to kill you anyway. EMP grenades are nice, but generally more useful on auxiliaries than on Fire Warriors.
Old 04 Mar 2005, 16:15   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

I have only used EMP grenades to any effect and found them not worth their points. They were useful in specific games against specific opponents (ie: against a transport happy rushing guard army, in 40kn40m). Aside from that, photon grenades don't help. I came to the conclusion that Firewarriors should never have grenades at all.

However, EMP grenades were useful on Pathfinders for a while. It was popular to rush them foward, rush again, then assault a vehicle with EMP grenades. It was expensive, but sometimes effective. They were just little expensive suicide bombers who could move faster than the rest of the army. So if you want to "try" them, use Pathfinders since the models already have the grenades on them (metals). But do it in a very uncompetitive friendly game
Old 04 Mar 2005, 17:31   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Since there already some comments, I'll make it short...
EMP's
  • Mobile FW Squad: No
  • Static FW Squad: No
  • Auxillery Squad (suicide): Yes

Photons
  • Mobile FW Squad: No
  • Static FW Squad: Yes
  • Auxillery Squad: No

There...short and sweet!
Old 04 Mar 2005, 21:05   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer

aunat has it right exept I'd never use photon grenades, they really dont do anything. not worth the points that could be spent better elsewhere IMO
Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
Old 05 Mar 2005, 02:28   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Khaldun

photon grenades are somewhat useful, but most of the time if the enemy assaults a unit, they will do so with enough troops to destroy that unit quickly anyway. Not really useful IMO.
Old 05 Mar 2005, 03:24   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

I've thrown them on my two squads with Devilfish. I do play against khorne alot though, if not for the blood rage catching me all the time I probably wouldnt bother but it helps survive the first round so you can try to run away using an ethereal or try to run away (if they're no longer in btb after casualties) but against most armies there isnt a whole lot of use for them.
Old 05 Mar 2005, 05:58   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Photon grenades paid for there cost today for me.

My FW's got charged by a Hive Tyrant with 1 wound left. They just happend to have Photon grenades on, so the Tyrant only had 5 attacks instead of 6. He only managed to hit with 2 of those attaks, and killed just 1 Fire Warrior.

My Fire Warriors had 7 models in range to attack back. I rolled and got 2 hits by, wounding one.

He failed the 2+ save! ;D ;D ;D Dead Tyrant! 8)

Just luck, I know, but I though it worth mentioning.

And, can you really only overrun (or whatever its called now) if your in base to base at the 'end' of assault?

Thats what I kept saying. Everyone at my store thinks different. Hell, I thought it a little stupid that one lictor can overrun 17 kroot..
And service to the tau'va.
Old 05 Mar 2005, 06:05   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Khaldun

I kinda find that rule excessive sometimes, but it also represents the unit being scattered, and any survivors fleeing off the table in panic.
Old 05 Mar 2005, 06:20   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer

if your squad wins combat and you have no models in B2B w/ other non-broken models but models in b2b w/ the fleeing squa you may SA.

not all that exessive to me.

and killing a Ht? hitting on 5 and wounding on 6? thats a hell of a feat of luck when you add the 2+ armour ;D
Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
Closed Thread