Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Battle Plan vs. World Eaters
Old 20 Jul 2007, 22:41   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Battle Plan vs. World Eaters

I have a 1750 point league tournament coming up, and the army I'm most worried about is a World Eaters army that's been winning most of it's games. I've got the top seed (record of 6-0-1) so I probably won't hit him first round, but if he plays as well as he has been, I'll hit him sometime.

My army, which cannot be changed at this point, is:

HQ
Shas'o Fusion Blaster, CIB, Vectored Retro Thrusters, Stim Injectors, Multi-tracker

Shas'el, plasma, fusion, TA, Multi-tracker

Elites

3x Deathrain w/ targetting array
(Three seperate units of one)

Troops

10 fire warriors
Devilfish w/ Smart Missiles, TA, Multi-tracker, Decoy Launchers

10 fire warriors
Devilfish w/ Smart Missiles, TA, Multi-tracker, Decoy Launchers

10 kroot, 2 hounds

10 kroot

10 kroot

Fast Attack

2 pirhanas w/ fusion blaster, TA
(two units of one)

Heavy Support

2 Ionheads with burst cannons, Multi-tracker, Flechettes, Decoy launchers

3x broadsides w/ TA, 2 sheild drones, leader w/ target lock, bonding

His list will be similar to his league list which was:

Daemon Prince with Speed and all manner of killing nastiness

2-3 bike squadrons

A bunch of fly chosen

3 units of bloodletters

Predator Annihilators with las sponsors

He is ridiculously fast, and will be in combat with anything in the open by turn two. My plan is to form a skimmer wall up against the board edge around my fire warriors, HQ suits and broadsides; keeping all the vehicles moving, and possibly shrinking as they die. The kroot will stand, preferably in cover, around the edge of the skimmer wall to give it an extra round before the massed attacks start hitting them. The deathrains aren't particularly effective against any of the targets, so I'm going to place them as far from my wall as possible. Hopefully he'll try to chase them down, and I'll have one less unit concentrated against me. If he doesn't they'll try to take objectives. If the skimmer wall breaks at any point, I'll evacuate anything that can be saved and scatter to try to claim objectives. I'm hoping to take advantage of daemonic instability on the daemons in the army. Exactly how does it work, and what can trigger it? When daemons are summoned I know they can move and assault, but does the summoning count as deep strike, so they die if they scatter onto me?

If anyone has any suggestions or comments on the plan, or even a completely different plan, I'd appreciate it.
Old 20 Jul 2007, 23:30   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Battle Plan vs. World Eaters

lose the kroot and get more deathrains, a whole lot to kill the bikes. Nuke the prince with the broadsides. Your list should be able to destroy him easily. railguns vs prince then Predator. All railguns at one target. Missile pods and ion cannons on bikes first. Then, nuke the chosen with everything. Hopefully he won't get many bloodletters on the field. How many models does he have? That will help me determine specific tactics. Good luck.

Cheers!
Originally Posted by Faolin
"Human nature" only prevents a better future if we accept it as unchangeable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechTau
Shasocastris, since my return to these boards, nothing has made a bigger impression than you and your views.
shasocastris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jul 2007, 04:03   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Don't let your opponent pull some illegal combo on his Demon Prince like giving it demonic stature and then infiltrating it. If it is statured it can't infiltrate, if he has a berserker glaive he can't use special movement modes(like speed or flight). But most important, if he uses a statured Prince with speed, 2+/4+saves, feel no pain, and the upgrade that adds +1 to toughness, do not let him convince you that it can't be instakilled by STR10 railguns. He may get an actual +1 Toughness from the stature, but the other Toughness upgrade(can't remember name of it) doesn't ocunt for instakill purposes so he can still be instagibbed by STR10. If he does take the Rune that negates instakill also, he is likely sacrificing so many points on defense that either his speed or offense will suffer. But wihtout his finalized list I can't say exactly how you should react so just use your head, just make sure it's legal as it is very easy to cheat(even accidentaly since understanding the chaos wargear/demonic gifts rules are about as easy as programming the first VCR's). Also make sure he is not over his points limit for gifts/wargear

Once the DP is dead, you should be scott free since you can outmaneuvor him in spades using your skimmers to block CC and your low AP weapons to smoke bikes.
Old 21 Jul 2007, 04:29   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

The prince is legal, and unless he's dropped some other upgrades for the tournament, doesn't have the no insta-kill rune. Unfortunately it can have an effective charge range of up to 24". I'm hoping I can bait it into assaulting some kroot and then hit it with my broadsides the next turn.

What worries me is the massed Str. 6 charging attacks from the 24 bloodletters, that will be summoned on a 2+ from the turbo-boosting bikes. That's enough attacks to do some serious damage to my tanks. The flying possesed could also hop right over my skimmers and kill everything inside the wall.
Old 21 Jul 2007, 04:42   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via AIM to General-Hoth

I feel like a noob asking this but... what are ...Deathrain

"Respect is earned "
General-Hoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jul 2007, 04:53   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

@General-Hoth: Deathrain is the name of a Crisis Suit configuration that has a Twin-Linked Missile Pod.

Old 21 Jul 2007, 17:27   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander_Vimes
The prince is legal, and unless he's dropped some other upgrades for the tournament, doesn't have the no insta-kill rune. Unfortunately it can have an effective charge range of up to 24". I'm hoping I can bait it into assaulting some kroot and then hit it with my broadsides the next turn.

What worries me is the massed Str. 6 charging attacks from the 24 bloodletters, that will be summoned on a 2+ from the turbo-boosting bikes. That's enough attacks to do some serious damage to my tanks. The flying possesed could also hop right over my skimmers and kill everything inside the wall.
It's goin to be a tough fight, but I play a Khorne player who uses a tooled up DP, some bikes, flying possessed, and a bunch of berserkers in rhinos, and I usually beat him.

BTW your game winners will of course be your Ionheads and Piranha since they can remove saves and are fairly impervious to CC. I would even consider dropping the broadsides in favor of a railhead that can't be tied up in CC and using the spare points to get another Piranha with Fusion. Then simply remove his predator early with the Piranhas and the DP with the railhead. After that you should be able to just run around him with your skimmers and stay out of harms way. Just be sure to take out any bikes that have melta guns and his Bloodletters and flying possessed will be next to useless.

Also I don't know how usefull that Ninja'O is going to be, I don't see him living through the 2 rounds of combat with any of those Khorne units. And he needs to live through 2 rounds of combat so he can break off at the end of your opponent turn.

Instead use those points on a standard Centurion 'El which kills MEQ/TEQ with great efficiency and again take the points saved and put it towards more Piranha. Basically if you can overload his heavy weapons with too many skimmers you can take them out faster tha nhe can shoot you down and then his CC units will end up being irrelavent as t hey largely suck against skimmers.
Old 22 Jul 2007, 01:00   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

The list changes are all good suggestions, but I cannot change the list at this point. And the list is designed to fight all comers, this guy is just the one I'm worried about the most. The only other list I haven't beaten in the tourny is an ork list with a lot of looted vehicles, which I know how to counter.
Old 22 Jul 2007, 02:11   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

In that case, just stick to the plan and use skimmer wall tactics and try to remove anything that can hurt them first. Again, he is an assault based army, and skimmers have te trump card against such antics so any guns that can threaten your skimmers are going to be right at the top of your list of high priority targets. Likely this will mean only the bikes and the predator and the bikes unless I've missed something. Once those threats are removed your skimmers will basically have run of the board.

A couple of suggestions I would add as specific tactics now that know your list is set.

Your Kroot will likely be massed in front of your Broadsides I assume, and if that is the case, think about using the Piranhas drones ou front ofe even those so they have one more layer to get through.

Another thing to try is possibly joining your Shas'O just before the enemy charges so he'll have a better chance of living 2 rounds and VRT out of there. Also, if all the Kroot somehow survive, they have a much better chance of making their LD check with him in the mix.

Once he gets out of there do the same thing with the next group if available, or fall back and join the Broadsides.

Last but not least, just before the Broadside, don't hesitate to sacrfice those Monat Deathrains since they are only worth 53 points apiece. See this is one of those times that flamers make better secondary wepons since they can fry demons just before sacrificing themselves for the greater good. Besides you would've saved 6 points on the deal(18 total).

Anyway, I'll stop pitching flamers :P

If you use those tactics to defend your firebase, you should easily bye enough time for your more mobile elements to dance around him and pick off any unit that can't consolidate into another.
Old 22 Jul 2007, 05:36   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Personally, here is what I would do.

1) Find good pillboxes for those kroot. You really don't even need to be in cover, you just need to be in a position where he can't use them as a jumping point to other units, but they can still shoot.

2) You have six skimmers. Use them. He can't go through them, you can shoot under them. In order to move fast, try just changing the order so each one has moved the requisite amount. Target whatever is good with these, but the flying chosen and bikes are probably going to be the juicy targets.

3) Broadsides will be key. If all three target the DP he should go down first turn. The annihilator will probably take out a drone or two, and then he goes. After that, whatever looks good.

This really strikes me as an all or nothing fight. If you can take out the DP and Annihilator early on, a good portion of you army is safe. Those bikes will be scary as well, especially with turboboosting, but you have the raw firepower to take them out (20 FW, 30 kroot and 3 Deathrain). The chosen are most likely overpriced, one wound, 3+ save enemies (aka Ion-fodder). The bloodletters will be scary if they get CC, but they move 6 inches a turn and don't shoot. Personally, I think they'll kill something like a squad of FW or those broadsides and then do nothing else the rest of the game. Plus, IIRC, they are destroyed if they scatter onto another unit and destabilize if they lose a moral check.
Madscientist is offline   Reply With Quote