Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Hammer head SMS system
Old 20 Jul 2007, 17:48   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Hammer head SMS system

I'm a bit confused about the SMS on the Hammerhead. Do they cound as twin linked or as one or two?

I played a quick game counting them as two, making a nice volley of projectile that are not really effective. But I'd like to be sure how to play it well. It's not mentionned in the codex.
Old 20 Jul 2007, 18:10   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to gerrylum
Default Re: Hammer head SMS system

I think it just counts as one SMS system...
Old 20 Jul 2007, 18:58   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via AIM to EOAdonis

The SMS on both the hammerhead and the broadside counts as one weapon. On the model it looks like two pods of missiles but that is because it fires a large amount of shots a turn. Meanwhile, the burst cannon option for the hammerhead counts as two separate weapons, which can come in handy.

For thee, my Lord, for thee.

Power hath descended forth from Thy hand

Our feet may swiftly carry out Thy commands.

So we shall flow a river forth to Thee

And teeming with souls shall it ever be.

In Nomeni Patri Et Fili Spiritus Sancti."
EOAdonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jul 2007, 20:44   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Great, so it's 4 missils instead of 8 that are fired by this... Even more unpractical hehe. Unless in heavy urban environnement. Even so, it as little punch.

I think I'll equip the burst cannon next time.
Old 20 Jul 2007, 21:03   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

It has longer range, and no LOS requirement, so with a target lock it could be quite an effective secondary weapon system. Personally though I go with the BC's cuz thier cheaper ;D.
Old 20 Jul 2007, 21:08   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Great, so it's 4 missils instead of 8 that are fired by this... Even more unpractical hehe. Unless in heavy urban environnement. Even so, it as little punch.

This is so wrong on so many levels...

Alright, first of all: The SMS is one of the best weapon we have in our armoury, and it is well worth the points cost on ANY vehicle we can field.

Why?

While it has fewer shots than the BCs, don`t forget that it has an improved range, as well.
Alright, maybe the 6" additional range don`t work for you, and you want more. Fine.

The SMS also doesn`t need a LoS to your target. Never ever. This comes in handy not only in Nightfights or in "heavy urban environment", but on every gaming board where there is at least a minimum amount of terrain.

I`ll give you one example: Have you ever faced Dark Eldar? They are the devil, I tell you. Fast as shadows, they can be all over your army if you don`t take care. One turn, they deploy in cover, next turn, they are in the middle of your army, with their 24"+ assault ranges.
How do you counter this?

Easy. SMS.

Their main transport, the Raider, is AV 10 all around. So what if he hides behind terrain, and next turn he will strike at you? Your mass-firing BCs are useless. What YOU need is something that can strike an enemy vehicle behind cover. Enter the SMS - it has a good chance of stunning or even destroying the Raider.

This is just one - grantedly extreme - example of how SMS are used. For further information on the usefulness of the SMS, follow this link:
http://www.advancedtautactica.com/ac...os_attack.html

Have fun
-Bone
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jul 2007, 21:15   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

There are quite a few anti-tank weapons with an effective range of 18". Foot sloggers that can walk 6" and shoot a Meltagun, Assault Squads that can move 12" and assault 6" with Meltabombs, Flying Deamons/Tyrants, etc. If you're a smart player, you'll stay more than 18" from these threats so as to not put your heavy tanks in danger. This of course means that you're essentially never going to get any use from your Hammerhead's secondary weapon. Four shots is better than zero shots for +10 points. Heck, a Firewarrior is +10 points and that's only a single shot!
"i like to think of playing against my list as being like punching jelly. you put all your effort in but it just moves out of the way and you cause no damage. then your arm is covered in jelly. and the chicks come out and start wrestling in the jelly, and i drink a beer with stone cold steve austin, and we watch the chicks jelly wrestling, and then the slap-bass funk starts wakka chakka wakka wakka woh" -- Spooky, describing Mech Tau

"You can of course make a list that attempts to work via fragility and easy VP donation and Pathfinders fit into that just fine." -- kai
T0nkaTruckDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jul 2007, 00:01   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmdrBonesaw
Quote:

This is so wrong on so many levels...

Alright, first of all: The SMS is one of the best weapon we have in our armoury, and it is well worth the points cost on ANY vehicle we can field.

Why?

While it has fewer shots than the BCs, don`t forget that it has an improved range, as well.
Alright, maybe the 6" additional range don`t work for you, and you want more. Fine.

The SMS also doesn`t need a LoS to your target. Never ever. This comes in handy not only in Nightfights or in "heavy urban environment", but on every gaming board where there is at least a minimum amount of terrain.

I`ll give you one example: Have you ever faced Dark Eldar? They are the devil, I tell you. Fast as shadows, they can be all over your army if you don`t take care. One turn, they deploy in cover, next turn, they are in the middle of your army, with their 24"+ assault ranges.
How do you counter this?

Easy. SMS.

Their main transport, the Raider, is AV 10 all around. So what if he hides behind terrain, and next turn he will strike at you? Your mass-firing BCs are useless. What YOU need is something that can strike an enemy vehicle behind cover. Enter the SMS - it has a good chance of stunning or even destroying the Raider.

This is just one - grantedly extreme - example of how SMS are used. For further information on the usefulness of the SMS, follow this link:
http://www.advancedtautactica.com/ac...os_attack.html

Have fun
-Bone
You kinda convinced me hehe. I'll give it a other try.
Since our next game is schedulled for this weekend and it will be 2 teams of 2000pts each on a super sized table.. I'll need all the crazy firepower I can.

Good thing I'm pared with my Necron Friend. I'll be facing Eldars and Grey Nights.