Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau Terraforming?
Old 20 Jul 2007, 16:49   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Tau Terraforming?

Well, the title says all - are the Tau capable of Terraforming worlds? If yes, to what extent?

Itīs just an interesting question I stumbled upon while I was lying in the sun today, and rethought the fluff in IA:3... Would make sense for the Tau, if they they terraformed worlds, especially sinde they don`t need to create exactly "terran" standards, but only "desert" worlds, which are perfectly acceptable to them...

On a side note, what about colonies on Planets which were already "visited" by the Nids? Life in Biodomes would be possible, the threat of an invasion zero (after all, who would visit a system after the Nids have stripped if of all life?), and, baring the planet in question, a slow and steady approach to terraforming could be employed, too (although I don`t understand a thing about this, I guess it depends on how thorough the Nids are with their harvest, and other factors).
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jul 2007, 19:14   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Tau Terraforming?

They damn well better be, since the vast majority of worlds and satellites we could potentially live on, but most will need tweaking. Actually, thanks to various random factors, humans will have interesting issues trying to colonize other worlds. (Actually, getting to them will be a problem.)

Cheers!
Originally Posted by Faolin
"Human nature" only prevents a better future if we accept it as unchangeable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechTau
Shasocastris, since my return to these boards, nothing has made a bigger impression than you and your views.
shasocastris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jul 2007, 19:21   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I doubt Tau have mastered Terraforming as it takes even the Eldar thousands of years to Terraform a world and the Tau do not have that level of technology and aren't old enough to even use the techniques of the Eldar.

I'm sure they can build biodomes though, as that's pretty much just a ground based space station. There is a big difference between a bio dome and changing the atmosphere of an entire planet though.
ArchHeretic Templar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jul 2007, 19:23   #4 (permalink)
Xan
Shas'Saal

If you want few general ideas about terraforming check Mars Trilogy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars_trilogy
Good books , and few amazing ideas how to terraform a planet or moon.
Then again Tau technology is more advanced than Human technology from Mars Trilogy, but still it could give a big picture how to terraform a planet.

an exceedingly small amount of redeemable features
Xan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jul 2007, 19:29   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Well of course they'd be able to terraform their worlds to some extent. Even with our technology, we can do it to a certain extent, so for the Tau, they must have the ability to do it. The Tau probably do it all the time, at least in some minor ways.*

As for a Tyranid world, it'd probably not be worth the trouble. Nids strip planets of ALL their biomass, meaning that they become literally, just big rocks. That's even worse than Exterminatus, as that would at least leave most of the required biomass elements on the planet, albeit in a really charred state! With nids, the most practical way to recover a devoured planet would probably involve chasing down the guilty hivefleet, killing it in space, then bringing the carcasses back down to the planet and waiting for it all to decompose back into soil... Not too easy looking, that.

*Terraforming means more than just building roads or moving dirt around and stuff, right? It also means modifying ecosystems and such, I'm pretty sure. If that's the case, we are already doing a lot of similar things today to try to fix our environment. Such things should really be pretty easy for a high-tech society like Tau.

Oh yeah, NASA does actually have some ideas for mars - really cool stuff. But if I'm correct, the plan would be expected to show results in a matter of hundreds of years rather than thousands... Maybe the Eldar are more picky?

- Abdul Alhazred, The Mad Arab of Cthulhu Lore, on the subject of Chaos Tau [link]

"Zomg, teh Tau are teh evil bastardz, they suk at life."
copy and paste this into your sig if you hate Tau.

Proud member of Team CMAP - DON'T HOLD BACK- The time has come to- GALVANIZE!
Floobosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jul 2007, 19:39   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Don't forget 40k science does not equal real science.

I believe what he is referring to is the transformation of a lifeless planet into one capable of supporting Tau life. In this context there is no difference between a world that was stripped by the Tyranids and one that started off lifeless. In 40K terms the Tau lack the technology and timeline to successfully terraform worlds. And why would they want to? There are tons of worlds that are livable or pre-terraformed (thanks Eldar and Great Old Ones, except for you Cthulhu) so why would they bother when bringing these worlds into the Empire is easier.
Old 20 Jul 2007, 20:08   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchHeretic Templar
even the Eldar thousands of years to Terraform a world
Whats your source on this? As these are the people that can grow kilometer long starships in a few months, so have you got a source? (not that I disbelieve you, it just doesn't seem consistent)

As for the Tau, of course they can. Not brilliantly, and it will take a while, but their conditions are less stringent than our own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jul 2007, 20:24   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Eldar Codex, page 7, The Maiden Worlds

While it does not state a specific length of time for the seeds to terraform a world, it implies that it takes a very long time and that the Eldar are no longer capable of this feat due to the decline of their civilization.

The ships they grow out of wraithbone are different from creating an self-sustaining atmosphere around a dead world...I guess.
Old 20 Jul 2007, 20:31   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge

Fair enough. Then again, Eldar always did play the long con anyway.

I would imagine, rather than (close to) immediate terraforming, the Tau kick start the process (massive atmo generators that slowly create an atmosphere) and then wait and observe until it is ready.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jul 2007, 20:50   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Well, I would suppose Eldar terraforming and Tau terraforming would be quite different:

Eldar would create the basics for the world (i.e., seed some bacteria, some plants, some animals, maybe move a mountain or two), and then wait for thousand years. Another thousand years. etc, etc.
And then, a couple of millenia later, they have another "Maiden World", (nearly) completely natural.

Tau would do it in a vastly different way, a more industrialised approach, I suppose - they would bring atmosphere plants onto the planet, maybe even biomatter from another planet; animals and plants would be shipped to the new world, and nothing would be left to chance.

So, while the Eldar approach takes much longer, "Maiden worlds" are - at first glance - not terraformed worlds, but "real" paradise worlds - one of the reasons, probably, why they are so often mistakenly used as colonies by other races.
Tau terraformed planets might look different, functional, but they`d be ready much faster than Eldar worlds.

It all depends on what you need, I guess...
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote