Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau vs. Khorne bezerkers
Old 20 Jul 2007, 01:42   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Tau vs. Khorne bezerkers

I have just started playing with a tau army and it is still very basic. I usually play with my two friends one plays ultramarines the other plays a Khorne chaos marine army. My main problem is that the Khorne army has two full squads of bezerkers that simply cut my precious fire warriors to shreds. They do this by using the blood fury or blood frenzy or something like that rule and allows them to assault a disgustingly long distance (I think last game it was somethinglike 18") and this has all happened by the second turn! basically I want some ideas for tactics and unit choices that may help me out here.

I currently have: contents of the battle force box set
1x hammerhead
5 man pathfinder team with two rail rifles
1x sniper drone team

I'm thinking vespids with their neuron blasters may be helpfull but I'm not sure
IlikeCake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jul 2007, 01:53   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via ICQ to Dagonus Send a message via AIM to Dagonus
Default Re: Tau vs. Khorne bezerkers

Vespids might work... but only after the Berzerkers charge. Some people really like Vespid, but the 12" range on that gun and their armor leaves something to be desired. the Battleforce has Kroot right? You could try some more Kroot to get those in the way of the Berzerkers and then throw the Vespid in.
Old 20 Jul 2007, 02:31   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Ouch, 18 inch assault? Thats kind of crazy...you have to stay more than 24 inches away then... o.0

You could try more Battlesuits. They have decent range most the time and can jump shoot jump to victory.

BE
BurntEskimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jul 2007, 02:34   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via AIM to EOAdonis

What Dragonus said is right, but there are other ways. Try plasma rifles on your crisis suits to help the vespid. Also, more sniper drones may help thin their numbers. There is little you can do once they are in close combat with your fire warriors, or even your kroot. What you need to do is kill as many of them as you can before they get there, and then try and finish them off after they crush your warriors.

Oh and one more thing that can help is using an ion cannon on your hammerhead.

For thee, my Lord, for thee.

Power hath descended forth from Thy hand

Our feet may swiftly carry out Thy commands.

So we shall flow a river forth to Thee

And teeming with souls shall it ever be.

In Nomeni Patri Et Fili Spiritus Sancti."
EOAdonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jul 2007, 23:41   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Thanks for the help I tried most of the suggestions out in my last game unfortunately it was a four player city fight :-\. We were playing teams tau and daemon hunters vs. khorne and tyranids. Here's how it went down... before the game even started my vespid became pinned by orbital bombardment and stayed like that for the whole game. During the bombardment my Ion cannon equipped hammerhead was stunned and I lost two sniper drones. That was the first enemy stratagem. I then had the cursed "Nids" deep strike gene stealers in a building within assault range of my command squad . Just to add insult to injury the enemy then went first with the gene stealers wiping out my stealth suits then locking my anti Marine command squad in close combat. The chaos spent most of their turn advancing or opening fire on the daemon hunters for that turn. now a fair whack of my army is dead, stunned or just plain scarred. My fire warriors (in a devilfish) fall back and occupy a large roof top in an attempt to gain the advantage over the advancing termagants that are still 30" away (just within pulse rifle range) pathfinders do the same. My second suit team advance and unleash some twin-linked plasma rifle furry onto the termagants, to little effect. My kroot advance on the same unit (it was the only one they could see) and stay just out of assault range. The daemon hunters withdraw and dig in to a single building.

*end turn 1*

That was just the first turn and I was pretty much dead all ready, by the end of turn two I had 1 sniper drone and spotter, fire warriors with transport, pathfinders with transport and a piranha. This game was over in 4 turns. It could have just been my appalling luck or poor deployment but I did loose quite spectacularly.

thoughts?
IlikeCake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jul 2007, 00:21   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via AIM to EOAdonis

Sounds to me like some appalling luck as you said. Having that much go wrong with orbital bombardment and then having gene stealers infiltrate that close is just plain bad. Sounds like the odds and the dice were against you and you did the best you could.

Don't give up the fight and better luck next time!

For thee, my Lord, for thee.

Power hath descended forth from Thy hand

Our feet may swiftly carry out Thy commands.

So we shall flow a river forth to Thee

And teeming with souls shall it ever be.

In Nomeni Patri Et Fili Spiritus Sancti."
EOAdonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jul 2007, 06:10   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

concentrated Firepower kill Khorne Berzerkers.

They frenzy if I am correct and thus move towards the closest enemy unit.. could be a unit of vespid which is leading em in circles while you shoot them or some battlesuits.

I just blast em, everything fires at em.
tharasiph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jul 2007, 08:46   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Here is what I'd do, I've no idea if it would work though ??? as i've not fought Beserkers.

Make sure your FW are loaded up in the Devil Fish and take Flechette discharger. If the Beserkers charge first turn and reach you, the FD should take out a couple. If not move your fish so that it's 2" away from the beserkers, unload your FW from behind and discharge 24 rounds of rapid fire pulse rifle love into them, while you can shoot under the fish, enemies have to move round it to assault you. If you take a multitracker on the fish as well you get an extra 3 rounds from the burst cannon and the possibility of pinning with the gun drones 2 pulse carbine attacks. Those that survive will have to make a priorty test not to assault the Fish and get the Flechette attack. This is called the Fish Of Fury, if you don't already know. Try and use a marker light +1 BS on the unit if you get into shooting.

If all goes well there won't be many beserkers from that unit left.

Now if you can ensure your Kroots are in assault range then they can assault and mop up whats left the next turn. Now load up the FW onto your Fish and repeat. Hopefully your Snipers and Rail Rifles have soften the other units.

Use your Gun Drones as bait and to screen the advance of your other units. 6 of them are not worth much, but their good save and possible pinning attack can really slow up assaults.
Old 24 Jul 2007, 15:59   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

I would not try to pull off an FOF on the beserkers, because they are too fast. You don't need to take a priority test to assault, you can assault anyone you want, all they have to do stay 1" away from the Devilfish as they run around it. FOF only works on assaulters that don't have fleet or anything else that gives them more than 12" of movement, for everything that is fast the tactic is useless.

The only time I would try it against them is if there were only a couple left, because that's all you will statistically kill.

Flechette dischargers are a good idea though.

Commander Scoutfox
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jul 2007, 17:57   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

You do realize that in order to blood frenzy he has to first roll a 1 or 2 and that it is only an extra d6 worth of movement(not charge range).

So each squad has a 33% chance to move an extra 1-6 inches. That shouldn't be too difficult to deal with really.

Also, the way Khorne works is that they have to assault and blood frenzy towards the nearest enemy unit. So simply use you Hammerhead and Pathfinder Devilfish to get behind him and force him to run the other way.

This Blood Franzy rule actually works against them when I play them since I simply move my skimmers near them and skimmer rules means they are only ever hit in C on a 6. Also if they are in a Rhino and they Frenzy they have to immediately disembark and move toward the nearest unit. Another thing is if an enemy ever gets within 6" of them they have to charge them immediately, so you can force disembarkation from transports by simply movig next to them with skimmers.

Now all of this may change with the new codex, but I don't think that has been released yet.