Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

I need your help to build the right army!
Old 20 Jul 2007, 01:55   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default I need your help to build the right army!

What would be the best Tau army (750 pts) to defeat this Ravenguard army (and other armies):

No Mercy, No Respite and Blessed Be the Warriors with Flesh over Steel

HQ

Reclusiarch 107 pts
bolt pistol
jump pack
frag grenades

Elites

Assault Squad (5) 156 pts
veteran sergeant w/PF
furious charge

Troops

Tactical Squad (8 ) 192 pts
veteran sergeant
MG
furious charge
frag grenades

Scout Squad (6) 108 pts
5 snipers
HB

Fast Attack

Rhino 68 pts
extra armour
smoke launchers
SB

Heavy support

Predator Destructor 118 pts
sponson heavy bolters
extra armour
smoke launchers

Also, you can just tell me your idea of the best 740 point Tau army in general...Thanks!
Old 20 Jul 2007, 03:42   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: I need your help to build the right army!

You mean 750? Well, this should probably be in the Army Lists section...

Ok, let's start off with your HQ, i.e. Commander. You're going to want him cheap in such small point values, so I suggest a Shas'el, as opposed to a Shas'o. You're going to want a Targeting Array, to maximize your hits. On that note, you should also take two weapon systems and a Hard-wired Multi-tracker, so you can fire both at the same time. Generally, most players prefer the Fireknife loadout, due to its versatility and reliability. If you don't know what a Fireknife is, it is a suit with a Plasma Rifle and a Missile pod. These weapons have similar attributes and work well with each other. So, a Fireknife commander might look like this:
Shas'el @97
- Missile Pod
- Plasma Rifle
- Targeting Array
- Hard-wired Multi-tracker

Now, of course their are other ways, but this loadout maximizes the advantages of your commander. Alternatively, for a few points more, you could replace the Missile Pod with a Cyclic Ion Blaster, which makes him great for hunting heavy infantry/monstrous creatures (<T7). Most other kit you can buy is either ineffective (flamer/airbursting fragmentation projector due to wasting good BS) or just little doo-dads which are best not taken on a cheap commander.

Now, let's take a look at your Elites, which form a powerhouse along with your commander. You've got two options: XV8 Crisis suits and XV15/25 Stealthsuits, and I'll cover both of these (they're both very much worth it).
XV8 suits are a very common sight in most players armies simply because they're great! Win and gravy, that sort of stuff. They fill the much-needed niche of providing mid-range anti heavy infantry and light tanks, something normal Fire Warrior teams cannot accomplish. You should keep that in mind when you outfit your suit(s). There are many types of suits (check important topics for suit names), but you won't have many at this point level and its best to cut back on anything superfluous, so I'll cover two of the best: Fireknife (as with the commander) and Deathrain (twin-linked missile pod).
The Fireknife is pretty much a slightly cheaper, slightly less effective version of your commander. It goes a little something like this:
XV8 Crisis @77
Shas'ui
- Team Leader (note: to buy hard-wired systems)
- Missile Pod
- Plasma Rifle
- Targeting Array

Now, this is a bit expensive, but it works wonders, especially with light support. However, this would probably be best for an expansion to your 750 point list (i.e. 1000 points). The next suit, on the other hand, is great at taking out light vehicles, such as your friend's Rhino.
The Deathrain is an excellent, focused, and cheap suit. Its genius is its simplicity, and it's the bane of transport vehicles. It's got very decent range (effectively 40" due to movement) and is very reliable due to twin-linking. I'd strongly recommend at least one, which will counter your friend's rhino. Whether or not to take a Targeting Array (in place of a flamer/blacksun filter) is debatable, but I suggest you save points.
XV8 Crisis @47
Shas'ui
- Twin-linked Missile Pod
- Flamer

With the flamer, it can help stall an advancing horde (by rushing into combat after flaming) so that your Commander can escape to wreak havoc. Greater good, eh?

Ok, time for Stealthsuits. Most people swear by them. At first, I was skeptical, but now I do too. These are essentially super-Fire Warriors. They're more mobile, tougher, deal more damage, can infiltrate/deepstrike, plus a Stealth Field... These guys have lots of love. Use them to harass enemy infantry and muck his plans. At this point level, I suggest you just take 4 (not 3, since 4 is best for scoring purposes) Shas'ui, bare-boned and simple. Don't distract them, just pure infantry-killing power.
Stealthsuit Team @120
4x Shas'ui

Ok, for troops. I'd recommend spending about half your points on them, as they can really carry you. Your options are Fire Warriors and Kroot, both of which are very good. So, here's a few ways to use them.
Fire Warriors
You've got two ways: with or without Devilfish (static or mech). First, let's go over static. These can help set up your firebase and can provide markerlight support (as you're not likely to get it from elsewhere right now), however, they can be pretty easily shot/caught/killed, whatever. Here's an example of a squad (you could use two in tandem with each other to greater effect)
Fire Warrior Team @125
Shas'ui
- Markerlight
- Hard-wired Target Lock
9x Shas'la

The ones in the Devilfish, on the other hand can rapidly redeploy and can utilize the "Fish of Fury" tactic. These can be excellent, though the Devilfish essentially doubles the squad's cost. I'd recommend this, if only so those foot-slogging marines won't catch you, and also to help protect them from snipers.
Fire Warrior Team @120
12x Shas'la
Devilfish @120
- Smart Missile System (note: to save points, this can be dropped)
- Targeting Array
- Multi-tracker
- Decoy Launchers

Kroot are also incredibly useful. They can act as a counter-charge unit, and are point-for-point better shooters than Fire Warriors. They can also, like the Stealthsuits, muck up your enemy's plans. Set them 7-12 inches into forests so that they can shoot out but can't be shot, and to maximize their effectiveness. Kroot squads are very simple: take as many kroot as you need. These can be used to fill in points.

So, let's pretend you've done everything I've said up to this point. So, let's make up a list so far, then we can decide what best fills in what's needed.

HQ
Shas'el @97
- Missile Pod
- Plasma Rifle
- Targeting Array

Elite
XV8 Crisis Battlsuit Mon'at @47
Shas'ui
- Twin-linked Missile Pod
- Flamer

Stealthsuit Team @120
4x Shas'ui

Troops
Fire Warrior Team @120
12x Fire Warriors
Devilfish @120
- Smart Missile System
- Targeting Array
- Multi-tracker
- Decoy Launchers

Kroot Carnivore Squad @70
10x Kroot

So far, we've got 574 points spent. Let's see... You've got anti-infantry in spades (Stealths, Kroot, Fire Warriors in their Fish) which can also help out in heavy infantry with your Commander (massed fire>3+), and you can kill light vehicles with your Commander and Deathrain (you can also rip into AV10 with the rest of your army, though this is a stop-gap attempt at best). Well, you're lacking stuff that can take down AV13. You know what Tau have which is great at that? Railguns. You've got two options for platforms: Broadsides and a Hammerhead. Both would be similar in points cost (2 XV88 to 1 Hammerhead), and would fill up your remaining points. Which you choose depends on whether or not you want to keep mobile or if you don't mind some static.
The Broadsides are the best for pure anti-tank. They're more accurate, and can pump out more shots per point than the Hammerhead. However, they are not as flexible (SMS<submunitions) and much slower, even with an Advanced Stabilization System, plus can be locked in combat. If you take them, use your Kroot to guard them, as they are prime targets for assault. As for the support system you choose, I'd suggest either Advanced Stabilization Systems to keep them moving or Targeting Arrays to increase their accuracy. Oh, and another thing. Since you've got the slots, take them in different squads, so they can split/concentrate their fire and can set up to better kill enemy armour.

XV88 Broadside Battlesuit @80 (x2=160)
Shas'ui
- Targeting Array/Advanced Stabilization System

Now, your second option is the Hammerhead, which most players love. It's tough, it's mobile, and it's deadly. Since you need anti-armour, I'll stick to the Railhead. You're going to want Burst Cannons to keep it cheap, and the standard kit on your tanks. It'll look something like this:

Hammerhead Gunship @170
- Railgun
- Burst Cannons
- Multi-tracker
- Decoy Launchers
- Disruption Pod
- Target Lock

This is an incredibly effective unit, especially at this low of points, and I love the darn things. At any rate, this more or less completes your list. You've got a few points to play with. If you take the Broadsides, you can buy a pair of kroot. Other than that, you can just spring on a few doo-dads.

Keep in mind, these are only suggestions, steering you in a good (I hope, heheh) direction. The best list is your list, think about what you want and analyze it. If you've got any questions, please ask.

"In the nightmare future of the far future there is only war." - Apocalypse
O Y Montyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jul 2007, 04:02   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Thanks a lot, Abael. That really helps.
So far i have:
XV8 Shas'o/'el commander w/ plasma + CIB
XV8 w/ plasma + fusion
12 fire warriors
12 kroot
1 devilfish
3 stealth suits (I would prefer XV8s to Stealth Suits, the reason being that in all three games i've used XV25s, they've been massacred without firing a single shot)

The last game i played with his raven guard army, it was a 500 pt battle, and i used my 2 XV8s, 10 fire warriors, 12 Kroot, and the 'Fish, and i completely decimated him.
He used 2 5-man tactical squads (1 missile launcher, 1 plasma gun, 1 plasma pistol, 1 chainsword), 1 squad of 5 scouts w/ snipers (1 missile launcher), and a chaplain with jump pack, crozius arcanum, and rosarius.
Old 20 Jul 2007, 04:29   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Ok, well, let's see...

Your Commander can be used as I described, since he's got plasma/CIB. An example would be this:

Shas'el
@100
- Cyclic Ion Blaster
- Plasma Rifle
- Targeting Array

As I said, this is very effective anti-infantry. However, this also means that he won't be nearly as effective at taking out light vehicles, but that's alright if you've got Deathrain support.

As for your second XV8, are the weapons glued on? If not, you should have enough bits for a Deathrain, so just swap them.

Seems like your troops are in order to use as I described... Or otherwise, your choice.

The Stealthsuits are incredibly effective, but you've got to use them wisely. Set them up out of sight and use JSJ to dodge in and out of cover. If you don't have good cover for this, set them up about 24" (maybe slightly less, but more than 21") away in order to fully benefit from the Stealth field.

With what you've got, you can get up to a very good 750 point list just by buying a Hammerhead or a pair of broadsides.

"In the nightmare future of the far future there is only war." - Apocalypse
O Y Montyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jul 2007, 12:03   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintan
Reclusiarch 107 pts
bolt pistol
jump pack
frag grenades

Assault Squad (5) 156 pts
veteran sergeant w/PF
furious charge

Troops

Tactical Squad (8 ) 192 pts
veteran sergeant
MG
furious charge
frag grenades

Scout Squad (6) 108 pts
5 snipers
HB

Rhino 68 pts
extra armour
smoke launchers
SB

Predator Destructor 118 pts
sponson heavy bolters
extra armour
smoke launchers

Also, you can just tell me your idea of the best 740 point Tau army in general...Thanks!
So, an anti infantry pred, a 5man assault squad with a chappie, a rhino with a tac squad, and a scout squad. wow. only one anti armour gun....

pwnage is what you can do to this thing.

commander. plasma. missile pods. targetting array. HW BSF and HW Multi tracker. 100pts. takes on armour and those assault marines. use against high value targets.

12 Fire Warriors. shas'ui. fire base. 130

12 Kroot. 84
12 Kroot 84

Hammerhead. railgun. twin burst. MT, DL, TL. 170.

570 pts. 170 more points to spend? second hammerhead. > as above. but for a friendly, Id throw in maybe more fire warriors and a crisis suit with plasma, missile pods, and Multi tracker.

tactics?

first to die is anything that moves fast. Kill the assault squad led by the chaplain. put all your firepower into it. make it go boom.
second to die is that rhino with the squad in it. just for kicks. its easy prey. pin the squad. get him with your crisis suitys. missile pods glance on 4s. have your railhead target the predator. pred cant do diddly against hammerhead with his h.bolters. you've free reign.
scouts are not a problem. if you get a chance, put all your firepower into them. fire warriors, kroot, and a submunition will pwn them. 'sides. there's only five of them. Kroot can take them out, either in shooting or assault. infiltrate, and rapid fire into them. make them go boom.

honestly though, his is a dodgy list. its decent against infantry based light armoured armies, but against any armour, its hopelessly inadeqaute. thats your trump card.

So priorities
(1) fast assaulty unit.
(2) vehicles. tie down the rhino squad, and kill the pred. then focus on the scouts.
(3) finish up the rhino squad.

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Deadnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jul 2007, 12:47   #6 (permalink)
Xan
Shas'Saal

@ Deadnight for 145 he could get in Ionhead with BC FD MT TL DL.
And use leftover points to get more kroot.
an exceedingly small amount of redeemable features
Xan is offline   Reply With Quote