Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

My first (narrow) victory for the greater good! :D
Old 20 Jul 2007, 00:40   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default My first (narrow) victory for the greater good! :D

So I finally got to play my first battle with my newly painted Tau, and my first 40K battle ever.

We decided to play a Combat Patrol (but we upped the points to 500 because he wanted to get in some more marines). My opponent is a good and calculating player in other games I have played with him, and he was using Chaos Space Marines, so I fully expected to have my behind handed to me.

He had two transports with squads of Chaos Marines (one of them had several marines carrying plasma rifles), the transports were Rhinos I think. He also had a close combat command squad which I feared greatly.

I used:
12 Fire Warriors (including one Shas'ui) wt Pulse Rifles and photon Grenades in a Devilfish wt Decoy launcer, Disruption pod and Targeting Array.
3 XV8's - Missile Pods, Plasma Rifles and Multi Trackers (one was upgraded to Shas,vre)
3 XV25 - 2 burst cannon, one wt Fusion Blaster (one was upgraded to Shas,vre)
10 Kroot

He won the roll and decided to go first, and as I had placed my Stealth Squad in the open (yes I am a total newbie) he wiped out every one of them by driving up with up of his transports, disembarking and opening up with all he got. He moved his other transport and the command squad behind some buildings in the middle of the battlefield so that I could not shoot at them - not a good start at all!

I decided to go offensive, so that I'd atleast damage some of his models before going down (yes I am that kind of guy Happy), and moved the Devilfish up so that I could see some of the command squad marines, and deployed the FW's behind the fish (I believe thats called FOF?), and a few of them (3 or 4) managed to see a few marines as well. The XV8's moved to get a shot at the disembarked marines who did short work of my Stealths.

The Fish, a few FW's and one of the gun drones of the fish managed to kill one of the command squad marines, but not exactly great shooting on my part. The XV8's downed one marine as well. They were dropping, but way to slow for my liking. The kroot moved into some cover, and advanced to be able to shoot the following round.

Because of the ability to move back behind cover, and the now hidden kroot, most of the chaos marines suddenly had no targets. The command squad guys decided to shoot at the fish and then charge it in the assault phase, managing a glancing hit (crew stunned) but nothing else. The disembarked marines opened up on some of the kroot that had wandered to close, but only managed to kill one (thanks to great cover save rolls). His second transport (still full of marines) stayed out of the killzone by hiding behind some buildings.

The command squad was now standing only inches away from my Firewarriors. And I was soon to experience firsthand the power of a rapid firing squad of Shas'la, gathering up my 24 dice I let loose and killing most of the command squad leaving only the aspiring champion and one more marine who quickly decided to run for it, but one of the gun drones on the fish managed to take down one more leaving the aspiring champion to run for safety alone (the devilfish had been hit with a crew stunned the same round, but we though that the drones were free to fire still, please correct me if this is wrong).

Meanwhile on the other side of the board the kroot faced worse odds, they fired at the marines, but failed to kill even one of them. The XV8's fared a little better dropping a couple of the chaos guys, but they managed their Ld roll and stood their ground.

The marines fired into the kroot, killed another few and sent them running toward my table edge (only a lucky roll on my part stopped them running of the board completely - They were 1 inch away!). The other transport moved onto the open to get at my XV8's who were becoming a thorn in his side (man, that second move in the assault phase is handy), and he understood that he would have the Fish and the FW's on his flank pretty soon. The kroot had done their job, managing to draw most of his firepower away from the Fish, FW's and XV8's.

The XV8's moved up to open up on his transport, while the FW's boarded the Fish which moved closer to shoot on the marines the next turn. I managed a "crew shaken" result on his transport and the kroot rallied and returned to harass the marines even further!

Not being able to shoot with one of his transports he tried to "tank shock" my XV8's but failed miserably. The kroot finally was cut down to the last carnivore by heavy bolter fire, but they had done more than their share for the greater good.

The Fish swooped up and the line of FW's bounded out ready to repeat their last success, but abysmal rolling on my hand resulted in only two marines killed (they, like their "commander" are inexperienced and pretty nervous at this point in the battle), the Chaos marines still managed their Ld roll - and thanks to a pretty stupid placement of the fish by me they were way to close for my liking, and the FW's were not completely covered behind the Devilfish!

The XV8's more than made up for the lousy shooting of the FW's by moving around the other Transport (which still were filled with chaos marines) and opened up with missiles and plasma. Scoring a penetrating hit, the marines tried to get out, but could not deploy because of the close proximity of the XV8's and were wiped out!

Thanks to my hopeless Fish placement the few remaining chaos marines from the other squad charged the FW's and killed two (I managed only to kill one in return), running they were chased down and killed (I forgot the photon grenades and which gave the chaos player quite a few extra attacks, third big mistake of the day).

Finally the XV8's and the Fish with it's drones and burst cannon managed to take out the second transport and the last few marines.

So a narrow victory for the greater good, and most importantly we both had a very good time!

As I have been lurking and reading a lot on this forum (and advanced tau tactica ) for the since I decided to get into the hobby, and most of the strategy I used during the battle I have learned here (sort of like military school for a new commander Happy), so the victory is dedicated to you people! ;D

Best regards
Rune
Nanostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jul 2007, 01:25   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Re: My first (narrow) victory for the greater good! :D

Bravo!

I'm in much the same position of yourself (have been prowling this board for a few weeks) and it's great to see a first timer come up with a win.

Good use of the FOF the first time, bad luck about the second (hopefully i will learn from your mistake). You may get some stick from others on the board about your DF config, but given it's a first game, Combat patrol, and you didn't have points for warfish (assumption) it isn't too bad. Check out the comments by Scoutfox on the "Noob Tau" thread in Army lists for the help i got on this point.

Good luck in your second battle,

Trok.
trok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jul 2007, 01:42   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Thanks for the reply trok. I'll check out the "Noob tau" thread asap!

...and good luck to you as well - for the greater good ! ;D
Old 20 Jul 2007, 02:44   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Adam Baker

Good battle. Nice to see newcomers in the Forum. ;D
Adam Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jul 2007, 08:53   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Wait! Is the whole point of FoF that you can shoot from 'under the Devil Fish as it's a skimmer, while to Close Combat Assault you, you opponent has to move round it? If they wish to fire at you the must make a target priority test to not go for the Devil Fish instead?

I'm a noobie too and I could be very wrong, but I certainly commend your tactics and win for the Greater Good.

Old 20 Jul 2007, 10:38   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

A very good Mech battle indeed, nanomachine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pond823
Wait! Is the whole point of FoF that you can shoot from 'under the Devil Fish as it's a skimmer, while to Close Combat Assault you, you opponent has to move round it? If they wish to fire at you the must make a target priority test to not go for the Devil Fish instead?
Yes indeed. That's why us mech tau guys use it alot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
crisis_vyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jul 2007, 13:22   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis_Vyper
Quote:
Yes indeed. That's why us mech tau guys use it alot.
Thanks for the clarification, I was beginning to doubt my understanding of the tactic.
Old 20 Jul 2007, 13:38   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:

Thanks for the clarification, I was beginning to doubt my understanding of the tactic.
No... It's just me who are not very good at using it

Btw, I just got the message that the Chaos player wants a re-match next week, I'm sure he did not like loosing to a newbie. He will probably be using the other army he brought along yesterday as well (but did not get the chance to play), I did not get the chance to look to closely at it, but it included bikes, some fast moving demons (wt wings) and I believe he said no transports.

It's probably difficult to give some advice based on so little info, but if anyone has any ideas please share. He'll probably use more fast-movers to get into my face this time around. We'll play 500 again (using rules for combat patrol), so any changes to my list are welcome as well (giving me a week to aquire/assemble and paint stuff).

Thanks for the replies people! ;D
Old 20 Jul 2007, 13:57   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis_Vyper
Quote:

Ain't gonna help you if they've got a super fast dragster to nip round the fish though is it?

badusernametag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jul 2007, 14:18   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by badusernametag

Ain't gonna help you if they've got a super fast dragster to nip round the fish though is it?

I know the red dots aren't going to show too well on the red paint jobs, but I reckon the seekers have better eyesight than me.