Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Confusion regarding vehicles and heavy weapons
Old 19 Jul 2007, 21:47   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Confusion regarding vehicles and heavy weapons

Ok, so I am just getting into 40K, and have decided to join the Tau. I played a game already using infantry, but got my first Devilfish and crisis suit today. And of course, my frail brain got confused by something, so a clarification would be appreciated. Thanks!

(1) I wanted to arm my devilfish with a smart missile system, targeting array, and a multi-tracker. This, I believe, will allow me to fire the SMS and burst cannon at a +1 BS. Now, the thing that confuses me. The SMS is a Heavy 4, and the Burst Cannon is Assault 3. How do I go about firing both of these in a turn? Does the Assault 3 mean that I can move my full 12 inches and fire up to the weapons full range? Also, do I get to fire the SMS in the same turn, or since its Heavy does it have to stay stationary for the SMS to fire?

(2) Secondly, sorta a reiteration of the above, can I use a Heavy weapon on a Crisis suit and move then fire? Or do I have to remain stationary.

Sorry for the newbness, but I'm still trying to learn and get these into my skull. I have the codex and big evil book, so if theres a page I should be looking at, I would appreciate the guidance. Thanks again!
TTKoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jul 2007, 21:54   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Confusion regarding vehicles and heavy weapons

Vehicles can move and fire Heavy weapons, it's only infantry that must remain stationary to do so. In general, the "class" (Assault, Heavy, etc) has little effect on how vehicles fire weapons. Leading in to question #2, you cannot move and fire a heavy weapon on a Crisis Suit, since it's an infantry model. However you can stay stationary in the movement phase, fire the heavy weapon in the shooting phase, and then jump in the assault phase. This situation really doesn't come up very much though since the only heavy weapon available to Battlesuits is an XV25 Teamleader with a Markerlight (or a Forgeworld XV81/84).

Hope this helps!
"i like to think of playing against my list as being like punching jelly. you put all your effort in but it just moves out of the way and you cause no damage. then your arm is covered in jelly. and the chicks come out and start wrestling in the jelly, and i drink a beer with stone cold steve austin, and we watch the chicks jelly wrestling, and then the slap-bass funk starts wakka chakka wakka wakka woh" -- Spooky, describing Mech Tau

"You can of course make a list that attempts to work via fragility and easy VP donation and Pathfinders fit into that just fine." -- kai
T0nkaTruckDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jul 2007, 21:54   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Ravager

Welcome to the forums.

1) You are correct. I forget the page no., but in the BGB (rulebook) it states that vehicles can fire any kind of weapon without penalty.

2) No, you cannot move and fire with a heavy weapon. Infantry/Jump Infantry must remain stationary to fire Heavies.
How you got a heavy weapon on a crisis suit I would dearly like to know. :P

As for pages to read: pp 1-88? (just before the first colour section) of the BGB are required reading, and will tell you everything you need to know.

EDIT: Tonka beat me to the punch. :huh:

We have done the impossible... and that makes us mighty.
Firefly is pretty much made of Awesome, Funny, and Aww. Sometimes simultaneously. We'd better stop before we quote the entire script.
–tvtropes.org
Ravager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jul 2007, 21:57   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTKoshi
Ok, so I am just getting into 40K, and have decided to join the Tau. I played a game already using infantry, but got my first Devilfish and crisis suit today. And of course, my frail brain got confused by something, so a clarification would be appreciated. Thanks!
Sure thing I will help you the best I can.

Quote:
(1) I wanted to arm my devilfish with a smart missile system, targeting array, and a multi-tracker. This, I believe, will allow me to fire the SMS and burst cannon at a +1 BS. Now, the thing that confuses me. The SMS is a Heavy 4, and the Burst Cannon is Assault 3. How do I go about firing both of these in a turn? Does the Assault 3 mean that I can move my full 12 inches and fire up to the weapons full range? Also, do I get to fire the SMS in the same turn, or since its Heavy does it have to stay stationary for the SMS to fire?
Well, for starters.....

In page 29 of the rulebook (in the notes below the Heavy wepaons section), vehicles are allowed to fire their heavy wepaons on the move. Actually al vehicles, bikers, and other assorted specific minis can fire heir heavy wepaon on the move.

As dor you devilfish, I suggest to put a decoy launcher on it. It helps alot with survival of the devilfish.

Quote:
(2) Secondly, sorta a reiteration of the above, can I use a Heavy weapon on a Crisis suit and move then fire? Or do I have to remain stationary.
Refer to page 27 of the Tau codex and check under the XV8 rules. They can not fire heavy weapons on the move unless they have the Advanced stbilizing system . But you can not mount a heavy wepaon on a crisis suit anyway so this rule only affects broadsides. For the Broadsides just check the info on the same page (it is below the XV8 description)

Quote:
Sorry for the newbness, but I'm still trying to learn and get these into my skull. I have the codex and big evil book, so if theres a page I should be looking at, I would appreciate the guidance. Thanks again!
We are all newbs at some point man. Don't sweat it. Ask us if you have more stuff to clear up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
crisis_vyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jul 2007, 00:12   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Awesome, thanks for the clarifications. Yes, I've read the big evil book, but left it at home (currently at work), and had never done a fight with vehicles/suits, so didnt know how to check the rules. As for the heavies and suits, I did get confused between the broadsides and regular crisis suits, so i appreciate catching me on that one.

I should be having my first real 500 point game tomorrow, so hopefully I'll have a victory to report. That being said, any useful advice fighting tyranids (besides staying very far away?) I was thinking of bringing along a squad of kroot in the mix and having them engage in close combat, thereby tying up the nids and letting everything else pour fire in.

So anyways, sorry for the rambling, and thanks for all the help you three provided, it really cleared up some of the confusing parts.
TTKoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jul 2007, 04:13   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to razgriz_cipher

Gaunts die from a lot of firepower sent their way use missle pods and an ap 4 or better weapon on suit to kill wariors Use broadsides to kill monsterous creatures. Kroot would be best against gaunts and keep them in cover. Gensteler if they have extended carapce use same as warriors otherswise use firewarriors or stealthsuits.
Old 20 Jul 2007, 04:22   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTKoshi
I should be having my first real 500 point game tomorrow, so hopefully I'll have a victory to report. That being said, any useful advice fighting tyranids (besides staying very far away?) I was thinking of bringing along a squad of kroot in the mix and having them engage in close combat, thereby tying up the nids and letting everything else pour fire in.
I dont know if I misread this, but you cant shoot into an assault. If this is what you were trying to do, it wont work unfortunately. If only us Tau could realize that our comrades in CC with genestealers stand no chance and we might as well shoot there and take down as many enemies as possible. As long as were shooting kroot its ok :P
BurntEskimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jul 2007, 05:39   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurntEskimo

I dont know if I misread this, but you cant shoot into an assault. If this is what you were trying to do, it wont work unfortunately. If only us Tau could realize that our comrades in CC with genestealers stand no chance and we might as well shoot there and take down as many enemies as possible. As long as were shooting kroot its ok :P
Also remember that units in melee will block line of sight to every one like terrain. This could be disastrous for a tau army wanting to gun down more melee units while they are charging the firing lines. The use of Kroot would be better as a cheap fire base by placing them in cover, because even though their guns are not as strong as a Pulse Rifle, it still packs a punch and then when they get close enough you can ether charge them or let them charge you in cover.
zannal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jul 2007, 06:07   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Speaking of firing weapons on vehicles, Theres this chart in the BGB that has rules about movement and firing main weapons and defensive weapons. What exactly do we count as defensive weapons?
SUUPAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jul 2007, 06:15   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via ICQ to Dagonus Send a message via AIM to Dagonus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUUPAH
Speaking of firing weapons on vehicles, Theres this chart in the BGB that has rules about movement and firing main weapons and defensive weapons. What exactly do we count as defensive weapons?
Page 63 of your 40k Rulebook reads Str6 or below