Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Deathrains - Target Array worth it?
Old 19 Jul 2007, 12:26   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Deathrains - Target Array worth it?

I love my deathrains. I usually field 9 of them, equipped with TL missile pods and BSFs.

I like them cheap....

Lately a lot of tournaments are played with 1750-1850 points per army, so I said to myself: My, perhaps we can spend some extra points on the deathrains...".
I considered the Target Array and did some math.

Deathrain with TL missile pods and BSF (46pts) has a 1,5 chance to hit.

Deathrain with TL missile pods and TA (53pts) has a 1,77 chance to hit.

I do not include damage calculations, as it would be the same for both anyway...

So we see that we have a increase of 18,5% for 7 pts per modell.
Now, is this worth it?

46 pts for 1,5 hits -> 30,66 pts/hit

53 pts for 1,77 hits -> 29,94 pts/hit

A mere difference of 0,72 pts per hit.
[hr]

I resume: Up to now we know that a TA will increse the probability to hit by 18,5%, but that the point/hit ratio will only change very slightly, almost neglectable.

So we have to factor in the amount of deathrains we want to use:

9 Deathrains with BSF: 13,5 hits for 414 points
9 deathrains with TA: 16 hits for 477 points

I would pay 63 points for another 2,5 hits (which is not a bad ratio). But this 63 points could be well spend elsewhere, having the additional benefit of including more models into the army.
[hr]

In the end it is rather circumstantial. In masses I would rather not use the TA, but with only few deathrains (1-3) I can see itīs value. But since I only use the deathrain in masses I will be better of investing these points in more models.

Please feel free to throw your opinon at my forehead ;D

[WHFB] Dwarfs
9 victorious slaughters/ 7wins/ 5 draws/ 7 losses

[WH40k] Tau
17victorious slaughters/ 10wins/ 2draw/ 1 loss
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jul 2007, 12:37   #2 (permalink)
Xan
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Deathrains - Target Array worth it?

Personally I`m ruining two of mine (and thinking about exchanging TL FB TA suit in 3rd slot for TA Deathrain) with TA`s but when used in masses that would be to big point sink.
I think when you run like 1-4 of them THEN you need TA`s to be sure of your hits.
Not to mention your BSF config would be deadly in tournaments , quite often you roll for missions with 1-2 turns of night fighting. Then BFS + Acute Sense = BOOM HEADSHOT.
Propably i would keep 2 teams with BSF and one team with TA`s. So TA team would go after priority targets which NEED to be taken down.
an exceedingly small amount of redeemable features
Xan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jul 2007, 16:33   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I just used that combo for the very first time this week in a 1750 pt game, and I'd say it's a winner. I used to be of the more stingey opinion; that 63 points could be better spent elsewhere, but in a 6 turn game my DRs missed one shot the entire game; that's 1 out of 24! Twin Linking did a lot of the work, but I rolled a lot of 3s that night.

If you want to be on-time/on-target, I'd say TL pods with a TA are the way to go.
fonkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jul 2007, 16:58   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

I prefer using TAs on my TL-weapons - my reasoning being: If I already pay the points for the TL-weaponry, then I can just add a couple of more points to make it ultra-reliable.

Of course, the BSF has some uses, especially for a Deathrain. Deathrains have the best range of all Crisis configs, and a BSF can really help during Nightfights.
With Nightfights being rare, this might of course be a waste of points, especially since Crisis can re-roll spotting distance already, so it is a matter of weighing the interests.

If you just add the BSF to have rather cheap Crisis, and don`t care about its nightfighting abilities, then I would really recommend you to rethink your approach - especially if you are already fielding nine Deathrains. You can`t get any more TL MPs without scratching on the HQ-Bodyguards, and you might want to maximize hits, so adding the TAs is a good investment.
Furthermore, consider this: A BSF is, effectively, wasted points in most games. It will have no impact whatsoever on the game and the performance of your Crisis, period.
But the TA, on the other hand, is ALWAYS usefull. You can always profit from the BS4, no matter the situation (alright, unless you play nightfight, and failed to spot the target.. oh, the irony, the bitter irony : ;D ). So for just 7 points more per suit, you get an upgrade that is actually USEABLE in every game.

Besides, don`t underestimate the psychological impact this has on your opponent, who expects Tau with BS3, missing the broad side of a barn. Suddenly, your - still quite cheap - Crisis suits are the most reliable unit in the game - after all, no other army can field BS4 TL units with Autocannons! Trust me, your opponent will notice this, and learn to fear your unit of Deathrains...

In my book, TAs are worth it on Deathrains. I never leave home without `em! ;D
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jul 2007, 18:00   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to razgriz_cipher

good idea cmdrbonesaw. The deathrains might help other units survie though. targeting arrys make their attacks very deadly. And for me I have a much greater ease rolling a 3+ than a 4+.
Old 19 Jul 2007, 18:11   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmdrBonesaw
Suddenly, your - still quite cheap - Crisis suits are the most reliable unit in the game - after all, no other army can field BS4 TL units with Autocannons! Trust me, your opponent will notice this, and learn to fear your unit of Deathrains...
Chaos Terminators can carry Reaper Autocannons. They are TL 36 inch range autocannons.
Old 19 Jul 2007, 18:51   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Trogdor, you've got the right idea. TA Deathrains are only marginally more efficient than BSF Deathrains. The efficiency boost is so small as to be negligible. If you're looking to cram more shooty into your Elite slots, give them TA's. If you're looking to put more bodies on the table (and minimize VP loss if/when they die), give them BSF's. As with most everything else in the Tau list, it depends on what else you've got in your army.

I'll frequently go with the BSF version for the rare boost during the occaisional turn of Night Fight.
"i like to think of playing against my list as being like punching jelly. you put all your effort in but it just moves out of the way and you cause no damage. then your arm is covered in jelly. and the chicks come out and start wrestling in the jelly, and i drink a beer with stone cold steve austin, and we watch the chicks jelly wrestling, and then the slap-bass funk starts wakka chakka wakka wakka woh" -- Spooky, describing Mech Tau

"You can of course make a list that attempts to work via fragility and easy VP donation and Pathfinders fit into that just fine." -- kai
T0nkaTruckDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jul 2007, 19:36   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Does no one think that spending 1 point more than the BSF for a Flamer is a good idea? I mean, you may need to save that 1 point to get a more critical upgrade elsewhere, but if you finish your army with a couple of spare points, why not drop the BSF for Flamers so your Deathrains have more tactical options.

I know people like to poo poo the flamer because of it's range, but sometimes it really comes in handy. Our crisis suits are one of our better CC units since they are harder to wound and have good saves. So if you need a delay unit, a 94 point deathrain squad that can roast the enemy with a couple of flamers then charge in with 6 high STR attacks might not be a bad idea, especially if it keeps a more expensive/useful unit out of harms way long enough to redeploy.

Old 19 Jul 2007, 23:05   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I'm trying out flamers on saturday. It will be fun to see whether they work or not. However, the extra points from a lack of a bunch of targeting array meant that I could get a second commander

Cheers!
Originally Posted by Faolin
"Human nature" only prevents a better future if we accept it as unchangeable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechTau
Shasocastris, since my return to these boards, nothing has made a bigger impression than you and your views.
shasocastris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jul 2007, 00:03   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via ICQ to Dagonus Send a message via AIM to Dagonus

Quote:
Originally Posted by israfel420
Does no one think that spending 1 point more than the BSF for a Flamer is a good idea?
I use Flamers when I field Deathrains.

Personally, wouldn't put TAs on the Deathrains. you're looking at an increase of 21 points/squad over three squads. yes its a BS4... but.... for the price of.. 63 points... you can have 6 markerlights and then they're all BS5.

I don't normally field a lot of Markerlights, since I normally play around 1000-1500 points, but if I had an extra 200-300 points to spend like you do, I'd have a squad of pathfinders or a poor man's firewarrior markerlight team or two.