Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Medically challenged?
Old 18 Jul 2007, 18:56   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to Funshade
Default Medically challenged?

One day i was playing and a guy was bragging how he has a medic and ignores the first wound taken. then he asked why my Tau don't have any. By all first standings you would think the greater good would call every person to have a medic with them. but That's when i got to think.

What is a wound? its a wound its not saying that they are dead but rather wounded... (he arm got shot and cant fire anymore) so that's when it hit me. i can see a imperial guard being healed and told "Your not Quite dead yet... go take another for the team!" i just cant see Tau fire warriors saying "ooo you got shot in the arm... let me put a bandage on your little boo boo and you can fight some more."

I just thought it was funny...
I have half the weight
I will have five times the stamina
~those who never louse... always win~
Funshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jul 2007, 19:13   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Xisor
Default Re: Medically challenged?

I always interpret the Tau's medicine being contained within the 4+ Armour. I mean, it's difficult to believe that the Tau's armour is actually equivalent, technologically, to the likes of the Kasrkin/Stormtrooper armour of the Imperium. In that regard then, I can see the Tau's 'armoured suit' to be alot more impressive...more akin to the Space Marine armour in 'intent' rather than Guard 'quality' armour. That is: drug (Morphine!) dispensers in the armour, self-sealing-strip puches (ie pouches with a bit of clingfilm-like bandages that just 'slip out and cling on' if your armour is punctured) etc.

In that regard there simply wouldn't be any need for dedicated medics on the battlefield itself. All (or most) Shas'd be highly trained in field medicine, so specific medics wouldn't be urgent until the combat zone is 'down a level' or two.
Old 18 Jul 2007, 23:03   #3 (permalink)
Zah
Kroot Shaper

Besides medics estimated lifetime during fierce battle is less than 5 minutes on average (Thats what my mate, whom was a medic in the army times, was told during his training). I think they have drones to evacuate wounded personnel from the field to a mobile field hospital (an "ambulance" orca maybe?) few miles away.

Ps. I'm not a native English speaker, so PLEASE forgive me my grammar!
Zah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jul 2007, 23:19   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I'd imagine they'd use Drones, as well.

In terms of game mechanics I imagine the primary reason the Tau don't get any is because everyone and their mother would take one in a squad. Who wouldn't want a chance to save some troops? Problem is that kinda defeats the horrific nature of Warhammer 40,000's universe in terms of gameplay. Nice? Yeah, it'd be nice, but not entirely practical from an army building standpoint.

In the "world" of Warhammer or in the real world I think Xisor's onto something. Recently I saw a few AFN commercials about how the US military helped with pioneering some kind of trauma patch (hard to hear over the people in the area unfortunately exactly the name of it) but it's generally a thick patch about the size of a paperback book that's being issued to more ground troops. Often most people who die in a combat situation aren't blown up but rather die from bleeding out at the scene. To answer this problem you whip out one of these patches from the package and hold it over the site of the bleeding. It's large enough to cover even heinous gashes and apparently due to the construction of it it's thick and strong enough to staunch even the heaviest bleeding (seriously, apparently it's designed to help remove the necessity of even things like tourniquets crazy as that sounds).

Now what does this have to do with the Tau? Well, as advanced a civilization as they are I'd imagine they would've come up with something even BETTER than this that's probably packed away in their armor. While it may not have any combat drugs (after all, we have a separate piece of wargear for that specifically) I'd certainly hope they'd either keep something like trauma patches or even a non-intrusive self-aid system like it complete with every suit of armor.

Makes sense to me, anyway. Even after a battle it's written in the campaign rules and even the combat rules that not everyone who suffers their maximum wounds is outright dead, just that they're unable to continue the fight and no longer matter. While for the Imperial Guard and Tyranids it makes a lot of sense that they'd probably be dead for armies like the Space Marines and Tau that place much more value on individual soldiers' lives (in their own way of course) I think that it'd fit the background of the army for not everyone to be outright slain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dra'Tuisich-Novae
D10s all the way. For honour! For glory! For non-repeating roll-probability percentages!
FOXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jul 2007, 02:50   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

The big bandages are nothing new. Whats new is the clotting agent stuff that stops any wound.

Of course, it burns the person pretty severely, and if you put it on a chest wound, you just killed them. Definitely not as awesome as people make it out to be.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jul 2007, 03:23   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyndmyr
The big bandages are nothing new. Whats new is the clotting agent stuff that stops any wound.

Of course, it burns the person pretty severely, and if you put it on a chest wound, you just killed them. Definitely not as awesome as people make it out to be.
Certainly far more awesome than bleeding to death, though.

The point is though that if we've got this kinda tech now and the Tau are even more advanced and value their soldiers' lives I'd certainly hope they'd have at least this good or better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dra'Tuisich-Novae
D10s all the way. For honour! For glory! For non-repeating roll-probability percentages!
FOXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jul 2007, 07:37   #7 (permalink)
Xan
Shas'Saal

There is FW drone :
" The DX-4 is a very versitile Drone unit and can be equipped for a variety of functions from surveillance, medical treatment through to breaching obstacles. The DX-4 can be used to mark the Observation point and Medicae facility Stratagems or attached to a squad to make them Combat engineers."
It does not have currently any rules, but It could be used as combat medic.
an exceedingly small amount of redeemable features
Xan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jul 2007, 10:10   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

First reason? simple, balance. Our squads are larger then most medium infantry, and a medic with crisis suits is just silly to think about.

Second reason, GW hates the Tau.
Old 19 Jul 2007, 10:28   #9 (permalink)
Xan
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grogalmighty

Second reason, GW hates the Tau.
/Signed
Just look at SM good at CC , good at shooting (they can outgun tau) and to top that they get spamable rending GUN.
What do we get CIB , with pseudo rending and its limited to one per army.
Not complaining tau are weak , they are still competitive , but they could use some love from GW.
an exceedingly small amount of redeemable features
Xan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jul 2007, 11:43   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xan

Just look at SM good at CC , good at shooting (they can outgun tau) and to top that they get spamable rending GUN.
hold your horses there - tau outgun space marines ???

i have yet to see any space marine player even cosider trying to outgun a tau army. spamming land speeders with assault cannons you say - just fire an equal ammount of points worth of fire warriors at it (whilst they are at a LONGER RANGE than the assault cannon) and watch it fail.

tau are the 2nd best long range shooting army i have seen (the only army i havent seen done shooty is orks - i am just gonna assume they wont outgun tau ) the best being guard (for sheer weight of numbers/pie templates.

sorry for the rant

but for the OP - id say the reason GW dont include them is for balance (crisis suits are awkward enough to take down witht he JSJ already - dont make them start ignoring wounds as well >)

ps - BTW, i have nearly 4000 points of tau so i have some idea what imon about gameplay/balance wise