Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

The ion blaster
Old 18 Jul 2007, 14:12   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to Funshade
Default The ion blaster

Ok i was looking at the ion blaster and digging the assault 5 shots. but in all reality's i found it quite well.... pathetic. lets make the example a shas'o 5 shots on a 2+ so chances are one might miss... now shooting at oh.... Imperial guard. with there pathetic 5 save. and for math sake lets say 2 wound on the fricking 4+ (4+ on guard... *sob*) and two die. Same if they are wearing armor. now lets take a burst cannon. a lot of the time all three will hit. and wound on a 2 plus. chances are 1 will not hit or wound. killing two 5 save guard. but burst cannon is cheaper...

Uh oh... starting to see something here.

well now lets see the Missile pod. 2 shots pretty good chance they will both hit and wound 2+ and 2+ killing 2 guard. but its cheaper and a much bigger range.

Now lets not forget that special 6 on wound = AP1. so lets shoot at a MARINE! hits on 2+ wounds on 5+?!?!? Ouch... well it is 5 shots so lets say you got a good roll and you roll a 5 and 6 well one will die and one takes a 3+ well.... no surprise he will make it.... (They always make it) This is where the extra cost comes REALLY in handy and i cant think of a single gun that could be better... oh wait.

Plasma rifle! ageist (insert derogatory statement) marines 13-24" will pretty much kill one but 1-12" will kill two. so all in all ill take a plasma rifle over the ion blaster any day. not to mention the fact that it can do SOMETHING to tanks.

All and all i think if the ion blaster was Strength 4... then i would take it much more often but really it pains me to be rolling 4+ on GUARD!
I have half the weight
I will have five times the stamina
~those who never louse... always win~
Funshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jul 2007, 14:37   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: The ion blaster

Your pseudo-maths are poorly constructed and misleading. With 5 mins and a calculator, the following information is readily apparent:

At 24", a BS5 Plasma Rifle kills .694 Marines.

At 12", a BS5 Plasma Rifle kills 1.388 Marines.

At 18", a BS5 Cyclic Ion Blaster kills .925 Marines.

Conclusion: The CIB is better at killing Marines than a Plasma Rifle in the 12-18" range bracket, and costs 5 points less.

At 18", a BS5 Burst Cannon kills 2.08 IG.

At 18", a BS5 CIB kills 2.08 IG.

Conclusion: The CIB is exactly the same at killing IG as a Burst Cannon, but costs 7 points more.

At 18", a BS5 Burst Cannon kills 1.04 Firewarriors.

At 36", a BS5 Missile Pod kills 1.39 Firewarriors.

At 18", a BS5 CIB kills 2.08 Firewarriors.

Conclusion: The CIB is much better than both the Missile Pod and Burst Cannon at killing Firewarriors, although costs more than either.

and to wrap things up...

At 24", a BS5 Plasma Rifle does .416 wounds to a T6, 2+ sv monstrous creature.

At 12", a BS5 Fusion Blaster does .694 wounds to a T6, 2+ sv monstrous creature.

At 36", a BS5 Missile Pod does .185 wounds to a T6, 2+ sv monstrous creature.

At 18", a BS5 CIB does .694 wounds to a T6, 2+ sv monstrous creature.

Conclusion: The CIB is as good as a Fusion Blaster and better than any other weapon at killing T6, 2+ save monstrous creatures.

The thing with the CIB is that it's the ultimate jack of all trades gun. Sure, against specific specialized targets, you can frequently find a gun that's better than the CIB. But in a "take all comers" setting you need to be prepared for anything. The CIB is above average at killing just about everything. IG, Tau, Eldar, Marines, Terminators, and Monstrous Creatures are all good targets for the CIB. As long as it doesn't have an AV, you can point the CIB at it and be reasonably assured of leaving a mark.
"i like to think of playing against my list as being like punching jelly. you put all your effort in but it just moves out of the way and you cause no damage. then your arm is covered in jelly. and the chicks come out and start wrestling in the jelly, and i drink a beer with stone cold steve austin, and we watch the chicks jelly wrestling, and then the slap-bass funk starts wakka chakka wakka wakka woh" -- Spooky, describing Mech Tau

"You can of course make a list that attempts to work via fragility and easy VP donation and Pathfinders fit into that just fine." -- kai
T0nkaTruckDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jul 2007, 15:34   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to razgriz_cipher

Wow I never knew the Cib was that good against toughness 6 monsterous creatures. It is no good against toughness 7 monstrous creatures.
Cib 1.38 kills against genstealers or tyranid warriors regardless of extended carapace
burst cannon 0.83 kills on genstealers or tyranid warriors with Extended carapace
missle pod 1.38 kills on tyranid warriors or genstealers regardless of extended carapace
plasma rifle 1.38 kills
See I think I just found a use for the cyclic ion blaster.
Old 18 Jul 2007, 16:42   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to Funshade

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0nkaTruckDriver
Your pseudo-maths are poorly constructed and misleading. With 5 mins and a calculator, the following information is readily apparent:
Ow.... Harsh dude... Sorry if i mislead anyone
I have half the weight
I will have five times the stamina
~those who never louse... always win~
Funshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jul 2007, 17:00   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Hm, I might have found a use for my Ion Blaster...

Do you recon it would make sense to equip a Ninja`O with one? Would definitely look cool, that`s for sure... ;D
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jul 2007, 17:10   #6 (permalink)
Xan
Shas'Saal

If we are at CIB , what weapon would be best to complete it.
Currently my HQ runs CIB/MP/Ta and HWMT combo and I find MP having nice punch all over around and fixing weak spots of CIB. But looking at Tonka maths PR seems also like a good choice.
an exceedingly small amount of redeemable features
Xan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jul 2007, 17:18   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to razgriz_cipher

cib and missle pod are good aganist tyranid warriors and genstealers. It gets 2.76 kills on them
Old 18 Jul 2007, 17:38   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

No worries Funshade, it wasn't meant as a personal attack, it's just frustrating to see these sorts of "rant" posts made without any substantial supporting evidence. If you're going to make a strong statement like this, put some serious thought and effort into it next time. I'd like to see you step it up a notch

The Plasma Rifle is indeed a good pairing with the CIB; hence the popularity of the Centurion config Shas'el. Equipped as such, you've built a superb all-rounder anti-infantry Commander.

The Plasma Rifle also makes a great companion to the CIB on a Ninja'O. The short(er) range of the CIB and rapid-fire status of the Plasma Rifle go well with his up-close nature (and the fact that he'll always be going after infantry).
"i like to think of playing against my list as being like punching jelly. you put all your effort in but it just moves out of the way and you cause no damage. then your arm is covered in jelly. and the chicks come out and start wrestling in the jelly, and i drink a beer with stone cold steve austin, and we watch the chicks jelly wrestling, and then the slap-bass funk starts wakka chakka wakka wakka woh" -- Spooky, describing Mech Tau

"You can of course make a list that attempts to work via fragility and easy VP donation and Pathfinders fit into that just fine." -- kai
T0nkaTruckDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jul 2007, 18:12   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to kin7777 Send a message via MSN to kin7777

While on this topic, how does the CIB work exactly? Throughout my playtime as Tau, I've never quite gotten it. The wording about wounding and the like is rather confusing and could be interpreted many ways.

What is generally accepted?

PUNK'S NOT DEAD
Think, it's not illegal yet.
kin7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jul 2007, 19:06   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Tralfagar Send a message via MSN to Tralfagar Send a message via Yahoo to Tralfagar

You roll to hit. Then you roll to wound as normal. If a 6 is rolled to wound, then that shot is treated as a 3/1 shot instead of a 3/4 shot. Not all of the shots, but only the shot with the 6.
Codex: Farsight Enclaves(me)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekyGator
The divide between what gets put up on an art gallery and what gets you thrown in jail is mostly dependent on the quality of the frame, even though both are just as good for fapping.
Tralfagar is offline   Reply With Quote