Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

thinking about switching to Tau
Old 17 Jul 2007, 22:52   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default thinking about switching to Tau

Right now I play Necrons and Slaanesh Chaos Space Marines I love the Chaos marines although I hate being the evil armies. I dont like Necrons at all they are are really dull to play and everyone at the place I play at calls them cheesey.

So I was thinking about selling/trading my Necrons for Tau and I wanted to ask here what would be the best starter army I could get with around 70 bucks and whatever money I get for my necron army of 1000 points.

I want an Ethereal as my HQ as I really like the models and I want something different from the other Tau players Battlesuits. Would an Ethereal be good? Or am I better off following the crowd on this one.

Timokrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jul 2007, 23:13   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Viorlakaisshi
Default Re: thinking about switching to Tau

Well one of the reasons you see battlesuits in everyone's lists is because they are a required unit. Battlesuits are the better choice though, in my opinion. I wouldn't take an ethereal in lower point games. Ethereals are cheap (money wise) so you could always just buy one to paint and display and maybe use it when you get a larger force.

Credit for my sig goes to The Immortal Black Mage

Viorlakaisshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jul 2007, 23:16   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to TimberwolfCY Send a message via MSN to TimberwolfCY Send a message via Yahoo to TimberwolfCY
Default Re: thinking about swithing to Tau

If you're a perseverent (sp?)/savvy shopper on Ebay or other sites or with friends/fellow players, you may get quite a bit, depending on how well your Necron army sells. If you choose to buy new box sets though, well, you can check the prices online at GW's website.

You will have to take at least one Crisis Suit for HQ choice in your army, unless you take Shadowsun; Ethereals are always a secondary HQ choice.

For a standard army, you'll need at least 1 squad of Fire Warriors and one HQ Crisis Suit. After that, it's up to you. I suggest you read all the tactica that is stickied (at the top of the main Tau forum page) AND read as much as you can before making any purchases. If you follow my advice correctly, the reading will probably take you at least a few days, if not a week. Right now I'm re-experimenting with Kroot and Hounds. Kroot are only I3, but Hounds are I5, and charging from cover or getting assaulted in cover should counter Marines pretty well.

There are also three general accepted styles of play for Tau: static, hybrid, and mech; hybrid being a mix of the other two. You should read up on them to decide what to aim for.

Ethereals are debatable at best. While they essentially twin-link Ld tests for all Tau (NOT any Kroot, Vespids, or Human Auxiliaries) the only real morale tests you'll probably have to take are in assault, but Tau usually melt in assault, so the Ethereal in that case is just a points waste. The general attitude on the site is negative towards Ethereals, esp. since they got weakened since the first codex.

Good luck.
"They got ded big shooty gunz dat'll kill tons of boyz, but if yer can get near em den you've got a chance. Just gotta make sure you bring loads of boyz, coz you ain't gonna have a whole lot left when you get close enough to crump em." - Warloard Skarmork, The Great Despoiler
TimberwolfCY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jul 2007, 23:31   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

I didnt know you had to take a suit In that case I agree on dropping the Ethereal all together
Can Tau play with one Troop choice of Fire Warriors or did you mean that you have to have 1 Fire warrior team in your 2 Compulsonary Troop choices

I will start reading right away

Old 17 Jul 2007, 23:57   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

One Fire Warrior Team is compulsory. Tau don't have a lot of choices for Troops slots, though. That's not terrible, though, because the basic Fire Warrior is pretty effective. Fire Warrior Teams can usually utilize a Devilfish transport, which enables interesting tactical choices and can put out substantial firepower itself. (See Fish of Fury & Warfish)
Quote:
Originally Posted by El'lyi'ot
"What course of actions furthers the Greater Good?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel.wilson
...kill the opponent from as far away as possible, preferably from orbit.
Gryphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jul 2007, 00:11   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

after reading the FOF guide Im really Intrested in Using an army like this with Devilfish Transports with Firewarriors and Piranhas so i suppose a Mech army is more for me

Old 18 Jul 2007, 09:14   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to InsanitysFall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oresshi
Well one of the reasons you see battlesuits in everyone's lists is because they are a required unit.
Not entirely true. The Crisis commander is a 1+ unit. However, normal crisis suits are not required.

But i'm sure that's what you meant anyway. :P
Old 18 Jul 2007, 09:21   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
after reading the FOF guide Im really Intrested in Using an army like this with Devilfish Transports with Firewarriors and Piranhas so i suppose a Mech army is more for me
Don`t expect any miracles from a FoF, though - getting this to work is tricky enough, and the damage it does to an average Marine squad is not that impressive. You need to know when you`re pulling it off, and against which unit...
But it`s definitely a cool feeling, announcing that you have now "aboout 30 shots against your unit, thank you" (24 from the Firewarriors, 7 from the Warfish).

Mech Tau will be completely different from Necrons and CSM. Prepare for a steep learning curve (especially if the locals where you play are already used to face 4+ Grav Tanks in a game), but it will be definitely a rewarding experience - I`m playing Tau since they came out in 2001 (geez, I`m old...), Mech for now about two years, and I`m still not tired of it.
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jul 2007, 14:18   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Could someone give me a possible army list I could make with a Megaforce and 1 Commander
would I be able to get 1500 points or would I still come up short

Old 18 Jul 2007, 15:02   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to blade_masda

about the etherials, how can you guys say they suck and arent worth taking. alone, yes, i agree with you, but their new honor guard they can take is brilliant!!!
i mean, who would turn down a 12 man fire warrior squad at BS4?? and to top it off, their fearless. just keep em out of assults.

however, for what you want, an etherial isnt a good choice, and should only be taken after a solid crisis HQ is present and there is quite a few points to spare. 1500p minimum list for that i woud say

-Shas'el Dal'yth Tsua'm Ukos, in refference to the 13th Repentant Adeptus Astartes of Overlord Deathwing
blade_masda is offline   Reply With Quote