Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Project "Behind the Lines"
Old 17 Jul 2007, 20:38   #1 (permalink)
Zah
Kroot Shaper

Default Project "Behind the Lines"

There is a lot of different Tau related projects going on at the moment and what I've seen they have achieved very good results so far. This, and the discussion on this thread; http://forums.tauonline.org/index.ph....msg1058372154 has inspired me to start my own project which aims to create the basics of Tau unarmed combat used by their armed forces as the last back up.
It has to be simple and deadly to begin with. The basic situation where a Tau firewarrior might need this is if he gets lost from his unit and is out of ammo behind enemy lines. First we need to get the basics and come up with a cool name! ;D

Figured out so far: (All can be changed as these are just my ideas)

Basic method of attack is straight kicks (due their strong legs horse like legs) while hands cover the head in boxer like position.

First attack is usually a fast front kick which stuns/distracts the opponent for a second. The first kick is followed with a powerful back or side kick in the head or mid body which hopefully makes the opponent to fall back. Then the fallen enemy is finished with a kick in the head.

Throw me with stuff!

Ps. I'm not a native English speaker, so PLEASE forgive me my grammar!
Zah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jul 2007, 20:55   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: Project "Behind the Lines"

So you are suggesting that the Tau use Ti Kwan Leep? I think that's a great idea!
Quote:
Originally Posted by El'lyi'ot
"What course of actions furthers the Greater Good?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel.wilson
...kill the opponent from as far away as possible, preferably from orbit.
Gryphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jul 2007, 21:10   #3 (permalink)
Zah
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
So you are suggesting that the Tau use Ti Kwan Leep? I think that's a great idea!
Sort of...

Well actually I was thinking of Tae Kwon Do as the base(I have a green belt) with added elements from military jujitsu, but as they are aliens we'll have to make it alien.

Old 17 Jul 2007, 21:26   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Tralfagar Send a message via MSN to Tralfagar Send a message via Yahoo to Tralfagar

hmm,that would be interesting, but I don't know how practical it woul be, especially sincethey have hooves and not toes/feet. And I could easily see the Tau pushing themselves off balance when they do make contact. And if they are behind enemy lines, the enemy'll have guns and be armed. For a hoofed, near-sighted Tau, that doesn't bode well. But I could very well be wrong ;D

For my constructive suggestions...
1) Hide, whether it be camouflage or otherwise.
2) Set up an emergency beacon if they can.
3) If caught in a fight, set off a flash/bang/smoke/photon grenade and hide.
4) Avoid unnecessary risks.

that's about all I can think of off the top of my head.
Codex: Farsight Enclaves(me)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekyGator
The divide between what gets put up on an art gallery and what gets you thrown in jail is mostly dependent on the quality of the frame, even though both are just as good for fapping.
Tralfagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jul 2007, 21:44   #5 (permalink)
Zah
Kroot Shaper

Those four things you mentioned are basic stuff. What I really want to do is that when you have to engage unarmed combat what to do. I want to make up their actual techniques. What kind of kicks or punches and all that.

When it comes to staying in balance, I don't think it is a problem. Jump kicks naturally even more decrease this risk of slipping, but I can't see it to be greater than with humans. Just look at some hoove legged animals that live on mountains. They can climb up almost vertical walls of rock.

Old 18 Jul 2007, 09:09   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zah'Draich

Just look at some hoove legged animals that live on mountains. They can climb up almost vertical walls of rock.
On four legs.... unless the Tau have super wide hoofs and great balance, then they will stuggle. Humans can do this, as Trafalgar said because they have toes, which can react independantly to stableise us. Also humans have the remarkable ankle, which i dont beleive hoofed animals have the same design (tau might)

"Yes indeed Giles"
Trick3003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jul 2007, 09:22   #7 (permalink)
Zah
Kroot Shaper

My basic source of information about Tau anatomy are the models. Looking at their feet structure and ankle I'd say that they wouldn't have any problem in staying in balance. Besides, they walk on two feet so they must have enough balance for that. I'll have to go to work now, but I explain more when I get back in about 09:00pm (+2GMT).

Old 18 Jul 2007, 09:56   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Frankly, I think the answer would not lie in kicking.

The point was made, quite validly, that Tau are bipedal. Most of the advantages of hooves lie in being quadrupedal.

Given the Tau physiology, it is likely they are not as nimble or agile as humans are (lack of toes, fewer fingers). As such, the human form is much better for climbing, gripping and so on. This also, in theory, means that a Tau in inferior in grappeling and self-righting.

So, the Tau will aim for two things:
#1: Avoid being grappled.
#2: Put the enemy on their back.

When the enemy is down, the Tau advantage comes in. Hooves hurt! Their combat doctrine would revolve around putting the enemy on their back, and trampling them to death / submission.

I imagine a lot of quick punches, aimed at either the lower torso (double them over and disrupt balance) or the face (disorientate). Trip moves may also be employed, possibly some kicks as well, but primarily I invision punches. Hit and run would definately be the maxim here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jul 2007, 19:53   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Well said.

Personally i think they would spit in their face and run while the enemy stands in disbelief

"Yes indeed Giles"
Trick3003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jul 2007, 21:25   #10 (permalink)
Zah
Kroot Shaper

What comes to lack of toes, I believe that it must be replaced with their ankle. If they are bipedal they must have all what is necessary for one and that includes capability of staying in balance even in bit more difficult situations. You get my meaning. (I'll need to find my dictionary!)

Quote:
Frankly, I think the answer would not lie in kicking.
Not complately, as things are not black and white. Their system is formed from many different aspects on of which is kicks. I don't believe that these are high kicks aimed for opponents head, but rather to his feet to torso to knock him/her off balance and give the Tau time to run or finish the enemy. Also the fast and multiple punches you mentioned are included when ever there is a possibility. Though you'll have to be very close to your opponent to punch him. Kicks have longer range and as Tau are generally shorter than humans (which means they have shorter arms) they have a disadvantage in pure fist fight. This is one of the things I base my theory of kicking being the primary method of attack.

Quote:
So, the Tau will aim for two things:
#1: Avoid being grappled.
#2: Put the enemy on their back
I agree here complately! I actually made a .gif animation to represent what I have in mind.
Here it is: