Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Project 'Undying Flame'
Old 17 Jul 2007, 19:01   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Project 'Undying Flame'

Okay- So many of you have been contributing to Project Tau as well as the Library of the Dead post, but if your new to the developing posts- then let me explain what I'm trying to do.

The Tau Fluff is sorely lacking in the 40k Universe, but the members of TO have been working tirelessly over the years to improve it. However, there are some blank spaces which members squabble over time and again- Project Tau has sought to fill in those blank spaces by making small assumptions and working to universalize a 'new' Tau Database (some of the older members might remember that that was my first project and earned me the name of the 'Archivist&#39.

Once we are completed with answering some-or many- questions I will go back into all of the Posts and iron it out so that all may see, with clarity, a better Database which can be used to improve your Hobby- your Army- and your fan-fluff.

Phew- okay, so what is Project 'Undying Flame'- well, for those of you that served with Commander Calmsword at Medusa V you know that we single handedly altered the Tau universe forever by introducing 'The Hammer' which took out Ice Station Alpha and dominated the GW Campaign Newsletter for almost four weeks. In addition, members also created stories about the Demiurg or relations between Tau and dissedent Imperial factions in the desert. WE created names for the Necrons and even the Eldar (until Dawn of War just labeled them El'dar- fooey)

but during the campaign every member here had their own fluff concerning their Cadre, and their Commander. Project Undying Flame will unite TO fluff in a way that no site has ever before attempted.

While Project Tau fills out cultural and social gaps in the Empire- Project Undying Flame will flesh out the Present Empire.
Old 17 Jul 2007, 19:07   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Project 'Undying Flame'

But what does the Present Empire mean-

Currently your commanders are fighting battles in the Age of the Third Sphere of colonization. Where are they? Are they defending the Empire from internal elements like rouge Ork incursions from the Gulf? Are they forming a bastion in the south against left over Splinter fleets or are they side by side with Aun'va and Shadowsun- fighting against vengeful Imperial factions that defeated us at Medusa? Tell us your story and be prepared to make altercations so that every member can work together to unify his or her fluff.

The Empire's current history is being written by us- and it seems only natural that we unify our collective fluff by putting it here. Once we do this we will be better prepared for the next Warhammer 40k Campaign due (either in the fall with Apocolypse) or next Summer. Imagine 100+ gamers all unified in what we're doing- it will be incredable and so far unattempted by any other Gaming Group in the word (bold claim- i know- but google it, i'm pretty sure i'm right).

So- that being said, lets get to it!
Old 17 Jul 2007, 19:18   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I'll be incommunicado for a week, so don't take my silence as disproval. I am, of course, entirely behind this project.

I've spent alot of time making fluff for my cadre fighting at the end of the Second Sphere, so I think my Third Sphere Cadre will use that as a springboard.

Here's a question: where are the Tau expanding to? Their local star cluster is extremely defensible and accessible - with their current technology, how are they going to expand past the Gulf? Many of the spheres of expansion have been inward - colonizing the areas between septs, so this isn't as much a problem as one might initially think.
I picture the Ethereal looking out the window of the Devilfish from his seat: "Hey this isn't the way to Applebee's?! Where are you guys taking...Aw man, a battle?! Aw, you guys are total dicks, I swear! I'm still wearing my bathrobe! Can I at least have a gun? What do you mean you don't have any extra? What should I do, hit Khorne Berzerkers with my symbol of office? Man, you're gonna be sorry if I die... dicks."
Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jul 2007, 20:14   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by El'lyi'ot
Their local star cluster is extremely defensible and accessible - with their current technology, how are they going to expand past the Gulf? Many of the spheres of expansion have been inward - colonizing the areas between septs
Actualy they aren't inward it just looks like that on the map. (at least the codex anyway) the map is a 2d interpretation of a three dimensional sphere. for example on the map Dyanoi looks close to Tash'var, but tash'var is actually on the other side of the sphere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmsword
Currently your commanders are fighting battles in the Age of the Third Sphere of colonization. Where are they? Are they defending the Empire from internal elements like rouge Ork incursions from the Gulf? Are they forming a bastion in the south against left over Splinter fleets or are they side by side with Aun'va and Shadowsun- fighting against vengeful Imperial factions that defeated us at Medusa? Tell us your story and be prepared to make altercations so that every member can work together to unify his or her fluff.

The Empire's current history is being written by us- and it seems only natural that we unify our collective fluff by putting it here. Once we do this we will be better prepared for the next Warhammer 40k Campaign due (either in the fall with Apocolypse) or next Summer. Imagine 100+ gamers all unified in what we're doing- it will be incredable and so far unattempted by any other Gaming Group in the word (bold claim- i know- but google it, i'm pretty sure i'm right).
so the idea is that everybody posts up their fluff and them we work to find a medium where all the stories coincide. so that we can properly affect the history and fluff of the Tau? won't this just lead to everyone posting a whole load of fluff and nothing else? is the plan to all sit down and try to make comprimises in everyones fluff?

like, say. everyone posts thier fluff and then we sit down and talk about it, picking out our favorite ideas and compiling them into fact?

i.e. some-one comes up with a direct plan of cadre naming, then everyone sits down and talks about and the majority decide if thats the way its gonna be.

although i am all for something like this, (i'm dissapointed by the vagueness of Tau culture) i have difficulty in seeing how we can get this to work properly
[img width=650 height=74]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x38/Majonga/sig.jpg[/img]
majonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jul 2007, 20:37   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Well- the third sphere seems to be entirely beyond the Dal'yth 'gate' leading to such systems as Sy'likell (sp?) and onwards to Brimlock. Everywhere else is 'filled out' as in there are only minor worlds to be colonized. I'm not sure about the ways out of the Cluster- but every story seems to indicate that it's 'up' or north so, that's where everyone should be (unless they are on defense duty against Orks and Nids as afore mentioned).

and sorry about the vaugness- but you hit it right on the head. We're already 'united' in the fact that the Tau players here all post here and read eachothers work. If we, essentially, flesh out the positioning and story lines of each Cadre/commander and have them, somewhat, loosly based on one another we can then have a more unified 'front' if you will.

The idea seems far fetched I realize, and somewhat preemptive in regards to the idea of future campaigns- but I think that it would improve our standings amongst fellow gamers immensly.

(so- one of the things we could do is name the Shas'Ar'Tol- Shadowsun would be at the top and then we could place ourselves on down- thus fleshing out the hiarchy)
Old 19 Jul 2007, 22:59   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

so we can call on each others fluff when we write our own? That's a really good idea.

So, what do we do? I can post a bunch of fluff, but I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for.

Cheers!
Originally Posted by Faolin
"Human nature" only prevents a better future if we accept it as unchangeable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechTau
Shasocastris, since my return to these boards, nothing has made a bigger impression than you and your views.
shasocastris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jul 2007, 23:05   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge

Count me in. I'll start compiling a list of my personal fluff.

Sounds great Calmsword, you should get medals for this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jul 2007, 03:45   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Sounds like fun, I'll do my best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmsword

(so- one of the things we could do is name the Shas'Ar'Tol- Shadowsun would be at the top and then we could place ourselves on down- thus fleshing out the hiarchy)
So as we are all Shas, I would take it that defining the structure of our caste to be the first order of business?
SUUPAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jul 2007, 06:29   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Let me just start by saying I think this is an absolutley great idea. I'm sure it will really give us an edge in any campaigns, as well as being awesome fun.

One thing I really think is worth mentioning at this point is the widely varying tolerance of xenos of various commanders here. I know that alot of you think any sort of xenophobia or eliteism on the part of the Tau is unfluffly, and should be left with such factions as the Imperium or Eldar. However, I really think that the Codex does show that there are some elements in the Tau Command structure (or at least individual commanders) that maintain the Tau as some kind of superior species. It makes one reference to the "purist Fire Caste approach" and some Septs refusing to allow auxillaries to form a lure as "the interaction between lure and prey brings honour to both" (or words to that effect).

Please note that I'm not refferring to xenophobia nearly on the scale of other 40K powers. Tau won't try to annihilate entire alien populations soley out of spite. But I truly believe that a faction within the Shas that still maintains a belief in their own superiority (with varying degrees of dislike/hatred for aliens among members). I can remember reading accounts of several commanders on these boards with such beliefs, and as such I think writing fluff for them would be a rewarding exercise.

There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty.
- Inquisitor Lord Karamazov

What do you humans know of our pain? We have sang songs of lament since before your ancestors crawled on their bellies from the sea - Eldrad Ulthran
Faolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jul 2007, 13:51   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

With regards to the third sphere, are we treating this and/or this as "canon"? They are the best accounts of the third sphere expansion I've read, especially compared to the vague few paragraphs from the EoT campaign and Codex: Tau Empire.

TO'TAU'VA T'GUE'HE TO'CYR'HE
Kasrkin is offline   Reply With Quote