Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tactics for my '17 game streak' army. Tell me if I'm lucky or not! :)
Closed Thread
Old 03 Mar 2005, 21:30   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Tactics for my '17 game streak' army. Tell me if I'm lucky or not! :)

FirstI've had a lot of you say that either I was lucky, or i was simply a brilliant tactician to pull off that many wins with my crap list.

This just may be, (pick your own verdict on the matter) but I tend to think it has more to do with my army. This is what I've leanred.

FIrs off, my army has been accused of being a 'stand and shoot' list. This it is not. Granted, it does have 2 units of static Firewarriors, but as the other unit of FW move about quite a bit when they need to, this is only 260 points. Hardly makes the list stand and shoot. (yes, of course my Broadsides stand and shoot, what else are they going to do?) The rest of the list moves freely about the board.

I suppose I'll divide this bit up into the actual units.

Kroot

My kroot are now just about my favorite squads. The simple trick is to bring lots, fill up a squad, and don't bother with shapers. Since they infiltrate, they make the perfect squad to plop down in cover close to the enemy lines. The reason my Kroot are so successful though are simple enough, and may be chalked up towards opponent inexperience. They see the Kroot as a assault unit, which is just silly with Initiative of 3. Their fragility and I3 greatly reduces the effect of their S4 SW4 and 3 attacks on the charge. They are only considered a CC unit because they are in the Tau army, and outshine everyone else in it in this regard.

But in any other army, they would be seen as a very shooty unit.

When I deploy 18 inches from the enemy in infiltration, That allows me to shoot the first turn, usually all 20 'bolter' shots. in the next turn, after the enemy has ran towards my kroot, I simply change mine forwards and RF. that's 40 bolter shots for 140 points. There is not a hell of a lot that can stand that without massive casualties. And, If I did my infiltration right, the kroot should still be in some sort of cover, which is good news when they charge me next turn. it makes the I3 problem disappear.

Add to this the fact that they can blow up warbuggies and other Armor 10 vehicles, which the opponent never sees coming, and you have a versatile unit

usually I have no need to take my kroot out of cover, which greatly raises their durability, making there low leadership not such a problem.

Stealth Suits

OKay, seeing as most of this forum already sings the praise of the stealth suit, I'm not going to spend a great deal of time on this squad. As you can see, I have 2 5-suit teams, with the leader upgrade, and have given him a marker light and a target lock.

This, again, make s for a versatile squad. Obviously mobile, I don't need to tell you all the destruction they can unleash while taunting the Enemy with there stealthyness, except to add that they can destroy many vehicles, too, Especially walkers and Buggies, they love those, but I've taken out razorbacks and Rhino's many times before.

However, giving the stealthsuit a marker light and target lock gives them a whole new use. I can have my Stealthsuits markerlight vehicles or squads with my team leader, have the other four dump their twelve shots into a different, more eminently dangerous squad,m and then move 6 inches in assault. I have had great success with this, particularly with the Railhead's Submunition blast guided into a group of Eldar, Orks, or Imp Guard in cover. (remember, the sub round is a heavy weapon, not an ordinance, and stuff does get cover saves) I have rolled a fair bit of twos for the 'to hit' roll on my hammerhead, so have been lucky to have used the markerlight.

Crisis suits

This bit here more expresses my own personal opinion and experience then actual solid tactic. it just has to do with how my army works. I have found that one crisis suit with a twin-linked main weapon is just as useful as a full squad of more average Joe's. This may be just luck, but my Monat suit does better then a full squad, especially considering the points cost.

So, you tell me, is my 17 game streak from the potency of my army list, or am I just a tactical genius / lucky b****rd?
And service to the tau'va.
Old 03 Mar 2005, 22:09   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Tactics for my '17 game streak' army. Tell me if I'm lucky or not! :)

Actually kind of both! ;D

I like the tactics with the Stealth Suits and Crisis suits, but I'm pretty sure that you have luck to get your Kroot to make their purpose clear like you do! Usually Kroot Get blown up by getting shot at that close or assualted that close (stupid necron Wraiths!).

Anyways, keep up the winning streak!
Old 03 Mar 2005, 23:30   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Tactics for my '17 game streak' army. Tell me if I'm lucky or not! :)

I've always used my Krrot that way and it never ceases to infuriate oppponents. Here they have around 15 dudes with 'bolters' popping away at them and they have a tough time killing them because of a 4+ save if the Kroot are in trees. Way nice. The only time I assault is if I outnumber 3:1 and then my objective is to "tie up" rather than kill off. They rarely manage to kill much unless it's Guard or Orcs thru assaulting, Marines eat Kroot with sauce, but aassaulting one Marine squad usually invites more to the party and that consolidates Marines all in one small area eventually, ripe for the Subhead.

I vote tactics. ^-^
3) Tau are a team: Stick together.

[size=8pt]40k v4.0 FAQs[/size]
[size=8pt]official Rail Rifle rules[/size]
[size=8pt]Forge World Rules and Models[/size]
[size=8pt]Crisis Configurations[/size]
[size=8pt]Gue'vesa: Tau Human Auxiliary rules[/size]
[size=8pt]Mechanized Tau Tactica[/size]
[size=8pt]TauOnline Tactica[/size]
Old 03 Mar 2005, 23:40   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I would have to say it is 2/3 tactics and 1/3 luck...but hey in any game with dice luck is always a factor... :P
"A thousand fibers connect each of us with our fellow Tau and along those fibers our deeds run as causes which come back to us as effects. Everything we do must be in furtherance of the Greater Good lest we return to the Mon'ta, the Terror." Shas'o Vior'la Kasis, Fire Warrior Commander.
Old 04 Mar 2005, 00:04   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer

I vote luck, those are all standard tactics

add to that that stealths w/ a ML are very slow when compared and a very expensive BS3 ML too, bad deal, may as well get pathfinders (lots so they will be useful) or aux (cheap) for ML, the only amy one ML would be worth it against are kroot merc's or catachans, not very common armies, anything else doesnt mind about loosing its coversave to a sub that much.

I'd be surprised if any marine player of substance would be succered into commonly used tactics on their own.
Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
Old 04 Mar 2005, 01:25   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to arguleon-veq

As has been said luck is always a factor but not a major one if you play well.

I didn't lose in my first three years of playing 40K (100+ Games) against a variety of different opponents(a group of mates and the 2 nearest GW shops) both them and me using a variety of different armies.

I then lost to speed freaks and after that went another three years unbeaten. Still i have lost twice in the last couple of months :-\.

I don't think you can really attribute luck to prolonged periods of success.

I'm assuming you played against different people that used different armies? if not then it doesn't really stand for much as an army can be very suited to taking down one specific foe.

'this just may be, (pick your own verdict on the matter) but I tend to think it has more to do with my army.'

I agree. As 40K isn't really all that difficult, strategically/tactically involving or requires much thought the list is a very major aspect. A good list gets you a long way when the main focus on the game is target selection.

The kroot IMO are a great unit and it is extremely beneficial to tau armies to have them, although i would never take them as i think it messes up the whole Tau 'look'. Still they have obviously worked to great effect for you.

Congrats on the wins.
Old 04 Mar 2005, 03:25   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Yes, I played against many different people, and every army accept Necron and Dark eldar.

I stated more about this army in my '17 game winning streak army list' Topic, which is burried about a half-week back.
And service to the tau'va.
Closed Thread