Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Aun'la's newest v4 list
Closed Thread
Old 03 Mar 2005, 18:02   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Aun'la's newest v4 list

Alright. I've added, subtracted and tweaked this like crazy. This is intended to be an all-comers list with a little bit of tactical flexibility. I personally didn't want to use any Crisis suits because everyone seems to and I've been playing without them for a long time now - generally the army can work without them. I have the Monat to give me Deep Strike capability or tank hunter strategy. At any rate, let me know what you folks think apart from the usual "you need more crisis", "ethereals suck" or "I hate Pathfinders". Thanks in advance.

HQ
Aun'la - Ethereal

Kauyon Run'al Monat Sha'el
*twin-linked Fusion blaster
*Missile pod
*h/w Blacksun filter

ELITES
6 XV15 Stealthsuits
*Bonded

6 XV15 Stealthsuits
*Bonded

TROOPS
12 Firewarriors
*2 Pulse carbines
*Sas'ui teamleader
*Devilfish transport
- Decoy launcher, Multi-tracker

12 Firewarriors
*2 Pulse carbines
*Sas'ui teamleader
*Devilfish transport
- Decoy launcher, Multi-tracker

12 Firewarriors
*2 Pulse carbines
*Sas'ui teamleader
- Markerlight, Hardwired Targetlock

FAST ATTACK
8 Pathfinders
*Shas'ui teamleader
*2 Railrifles with experimental Targetlock
*Devilfish transport
- Disruption pod, Decoy launcher, 1 Seeker Missile

8 Gun Drone unit

HEAVY SUPPORT
Hammerhead gunship
*Railgun, SMS, 1 Seeker missile
*Multi-tracker, Blacksun filter, Targetlock, Disruption pod, Decoy launcher

Hammerhead gunship
*Railgun, SMS, 1 Seeker missile
*Multi-tracker, Blacksun filter, Targetlock, Disruption pod, Decoy launcher

1850pts

Edit by RJay: In the future please could you not post individual points costs for units (i've edited it this time), thankyou...
3) Tau are a team: Stick together.

[size=8pt]40k v4.0 FAQs[/size]
[size=8pt]official Rail Rifle rules[/size]
[size=8pt]Forge World Rules and Models[/size]
[size=8pt]Crisis Configurations[/size]
[size=8pt]Gue'vesa: Tau Human Auxiliary rules[/size]
[size=8pt]Mechanized Tau Tactica[/size]
[size=8pt]TauOnline Tactica[/size]
Old 03 Mar 2005, 18:22   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Aun'la's newest v4 list

I like the army, though I would try to add in another Rail Rifle in the pathfinder team...btw what is a Kauyon Run'al Monat Sha'el and where can I find the information for it?
"A thousand fibers connect each of us with our fellow Tau and along those fibers our deeds run as causes which come back to us as effects. Everything we do must be in furtherance of the Greater Good lest we return to the Mon'ta, the Terror." Shas'o Vior'la Kasis, Fire Warrior Commander.
Old 03 Mar 2005, 18:25   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

It's right there - I made up the name.

Kauyon = Hunter
Run'al = hide, small outpost

So he's the "Hunter of the hidden" or "outpost hunter".

Old 03 Mar 2005, 18:33   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I just happened to be looking at my list on army builder after checking your list and I noticed the fw squads s/b 225 not 220 pts, but a killer list it is. I think I have learned more from reading posts on this site than from the small number of games I've played with my ( work in progress! ) unpainted Tau.
i am still tooling my list for the tournament they will be ready for in June ( 1500 pts.), although strict composition rules will not allow me to take 2 stealth squads ( penalty for duplicate elite or hq is -2 pts.)
I am thinking about getting another squad .

no broadsides AND no crisis might cause an inexperienced foe to take a list like this lightly, some thing that could always be used to your advantage.

continued success Aun'la
for the greater goodness

Old 03 Mar 2005, 18:55   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by AunLa
It's right there - I made up the name.

Kauyon = Hunter
Run'al = hide, small outpost

So he's the "Hunter of the hidden" or "outpost hunter".
"I see," said the blind man, "I see." I know what Kauyon ment but didn't thin to look at the codex to find out what Run'al ment... :P
"A thousand fibers connect each of us with our fellow Tau and along those fibers our deeds run as causes which come back to us as effects. Everything we do must be in furtherance of the Greater Good lest we return to the Mon'ta, the Terror." Shas'o Vior'la Kasis, Fire Warrior Commander.
Old 03 Mar 2005, 19:00   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaso Rama
although strict composition rules will not allow me to take 2 stealth squads ( penalty for duplicate elite or hq* is -2 pts.)
Yeah, I've got a version with a couple of anti-light infatry Crisis (team of 2 with burst cannon and plasma) but I'll see how the monat does on his own and see how people feel about the two XV15 units. Thanks for the feedback.

Old 03 Mar 2005, 20:39   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I like the list. I of course have a few suggestions but think overall it's well-balanced and interesting.
1) I hate the carbines in the FW units. I just don't see their function no matter how you use the FWs - if they're up close (within 12") you're giving up 2 shots - if you're at longer range (over 18"), you're throwing away 2 shots. The only place they're worth it is if you're moving around and outside 12". That seems like a pretty unlikely situation, especially with the DF mouted FWs.
2) Bonding on the stealth teams is of questionable value but it's your call. I don't think it's worth the cost (the only time it makes a real difference is when you have exactly 2 suits left.
3) The ML on the FW 'ui is pretty expensive for a limited return (see #6 below).
4) The rail rifles are pretty expensive, especially with those TLs. Have you considered just taking 2 more seekers instead? With the MLs lighting up dreads, devastators, rhinos, etc. you could launch a nasty pre-emptive strike rather than "maybe" picking off a marine or two and losing a very expensive PF in the process.
5) I think you need kroot - not for the "assault" reason but simply b/c they can infiltrate, acting as the closest unit for IC protection, serving as a distraction, sucking up fire, claiming objectives, being a nuisance, etc. They have a million functions and are cheap to boot. I think you'd be a lot better served with kroot than gun drones.
6) Here's an idea (something I'm toying with for my own list but this is strictly hypothetical at this point): Drop one of the FW DF and split your PFs into two units of 4. That would give you the ability to light up two targets on turn 1, sending all your seekers and maybe a railgun shot or two. It's my new thought on "shock & awe." You use the seekers to target dreads, rhinos, or any other transports... The railgun(s) are used on the most opportune target. The DF are then used to block assaults, tank shock, harass IDFs or transports, etc. As non-scoring units they're not high risk if you lose them. Preferably you'll be able to park your PFs in cover with their free move and light people up on turn one. Even if the enemy decides to really go after your PFs (many opponents are going to ignore them until they realize what they're doing) it's no big deal b/c there's 2 units (requiring a lot more effort) and that leaves your opponent targeting the unimportant stuff, compared to taking our your railheads or going after your FWs.

The general who wins a battle makes many calculations before the battle is fought. - Sun Tzu

I want to die in my sleep like my grandpa, not screaming in terror like the rest of the people riding in his car.
Old 03 Mar 2005, 21:18   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

I'm gonna have to somewhat agree with Waldo_Pepper on every one of his points (nice job Waldo! )

I don't like the 2 carbines since you are mounted, they'll pretty much lack of pin ability due to lack of amount of carbines in the squad and you're throwing out 4 Pulse Rifle Rapid Fire shots when the tried and trues FoF tactic is used!

Rail Rifles...hmmmm...I know I bragged about them, but now I'm begging to really question them since I'm playing in a Campain right now...with 2 railrifles that's roughly 1 dead T4 targets (I did some bad math OK!)...1 casualty isn't all that great...save the points by giving some more seeker missiles to the Fish. Edit...see my Truth About RR Post

The only points I don't like are #5 and #6...they don't really appeal to me...
Old 03 Mar 2005, 22:08   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Aun'la:

I like the list. I like the full squads. I wouldn't change any of them in terms of numbers.

I would, however, drop bonding on the XV15's because if they're going to be taken down to 2 models, then they'll be destroyed anyways--and the Ethereal will keep them sticking around. I have mixed feelings about the multi-tracers on the Fish simply because it's so many points for burst cannons and gundrones to fire a little bit, but for versatility against other armies (like orks, tyranid, guard, eldar) it will actually pay off against them.

I like the Gundrones & Commander option. Nice way to take advantage of an un-targetable Shas'el behind enemy lines--he'll bust a single tank and make all his points back, which means he did his job. The drones, even if they do nothing but shield that Shas'el, will be worth it as most threatening tanks cost as much as your commander and drones combined anyways (like a nasty tooled predator, leman russ, demolisher, etc). And how knows, maybe he'll have another turn to fire, giving you two turns of roasting vehicles--which means, double points! I think he'll do very well if you can deepstrike. But if you cannot, I think he might perform kind of mute, meaning, harassing transports perhaps (though that's very useful too).

I'm not a fan of Carbines, but I think it's ok to have them, since you only took 2. That gives you a big chance to pin those non-power armour armies. Most people don't who don't care for carbines, dont like them because they only think about fighting marines or other T4, 3+ save armies. But carbines are murderous against the 5+ save armies with average leaderships. Just two carbines can cause a pinning test, which is pretty decent. So I say it's a good thing to have, so long as you'll at least see a few non-marine foes.

The pathfinders are very versitile. I prefer to give them dedicated tasks, but versatility is usually more important in tournament lists (like this one appears to be, 1850). If those two rail rifles fire at the same target, you won't over-heat, so it's worth it's points in that sense. At least 6 lights will give you 3 hits on average, and your rifles will at least give you a single hit and probably wound and kill something. So either way, you're getting something from each target, from your one unit. That's versitile to me! So it looks good--however, what are the disruption pods really for? I would imagine this Fish would be closer than a hammerhead would be and anything that fires more than 36 inches is generally going to still hit it (and it's not effective against those weapons that are 24 inch range). Maybe flachette dischargers for a chance to pop a few brave bugs or guardians with haywires?

Otherwise -- looks solid! Let us know how it performs
Old 03 Mar 2005, 22:20   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

That's for the great critique, guys. Since Waldo and Shasel_Aunat are pretty much in simpatico, I'll just address the points via a copy/paste of Waldo's post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldo_Pepper
I like the list.* I of course have a few suggestions but think overall it's well-balanced and interesting.
1)* I hate the carbines in the FW units.* I just don't see their function no matter how you use the FWs - if they're up close (within 12") you're giving up 2 shots - if you're at longer range (over 18"), you're throwing away 2 shots.* The only place they're worth it is if you're moving around and outside 12".* That seems like a pretty unlikely situation, especially with the DF mouted FWs.*
I figures it gives me what I need down within FOF range, and that's what these guys are doing. If I move the DF up just enough to be in Carbine range, I'm just playing a conservative FOF and waiting for the eneny to close. It grants me a reprieve, too, if I manage to swing a Pinned unit on top of it. A little bit of a gamble, but hey...I didn't max the qsuad with 'em! (lol)

Quote:
2) Bonding on the stealth teams is of questionable value but it's your call.* I don't think it's worth the cost (the only time it makes a real difference is when you have exactly 2 suits left.
Yeah, I debateed this. Heck, I debated dropping one of the Stealth units for Kroot. I may yet do that and lose the bonding, going active with just the one unit of XV15s and having Kroot as the primary infiltrating force. It's just a lot of points tied up in a unit everyone seems to love to kill anyway - they just look so cool!

Quote:
3)* The ML on the FW 'ui is pretty expensive for a limited return (see #6 below).
I don't think so. It's the one ML I expect the enemy to consistantly overlook because of being more concentrated on the Pathfinders.

Quote:
4)* The rail rifles are pretty expensive, especially with those TLs.* Have you considered just taking 2 more seekers instead?* With the MLs lighting up dreads, devastators, rhinos, etc. you could launch a nasty pre-emptive strike rather than "maybe" picking off a marine or two and losing a very expensive PF in the process.
The risky target lock is "just in case" but there so I don't tie up the remainder of thier markerlights on the same target. However, that said, when I'm fighting marines, it's a question of being surgical anyway, and I intend to always fire every pathfinder at one unit, lighting them up, dropping a guy or two with the RRs and eliminating one squad at a time. That's the theory anyway.

Quote:
5)* I think you need kroot - not for the "assault" reason but simply b/c they can infiltrate, acting as the closest unit for IC protection, serving as a distraction, sucking up fire, claiming objectives, being a nuisance, etc.* They have a million functions and are cheap to boot.* I think you'd be a lot better served with kroot than gun drones.
I think I might go for a big, honkin' Kroot unit instead of a team of XV15s. How does that sound?

Quote:
6) Here's an idea (something I'm toying with for my own list but this is strictly hypothetical at this point):* Drop one of the FW DF and split your PFs into two units of 4.* That would give you the ability to light up two targets on turn 1, sending all your seekers and maybe a railgun shot or two.* It's my new thought on "shock & awe."* You use the seekers to target dreads, rhinos, or any other transports... The railgun(s) are used on the most opportune target.* The DF are then used to block assaults, tank shock, harass IDFs or transports, etc.* As non-scoring units they're not high risk if you lose them.* Preferably you'll be able to park your PFs in cover with their free move and light people up on turn one.* *Even if the enemy decides to really go after your PFs (many opponents are going to ignore them until they realize what they're doing)* it's no big deal b/c there's 2 units (requiring a lot more effort) and that leaves your opponent targeting the unimportant stuff, compared to taking our your railheads or going after your FWs.
2 teams of PFs is pretty expensive unless you're going 100% clean on the DFs. The transports are mandatory, so that's going to run you 128pts each, 256pts for the both of them, and that's a lot of points IMO. I dunno...it could work simply because you're splitting the teams and therefore divinding the Markerlight firebase, giving you a better angle of opportunity for each very likely, but it just seems costly.

Closed Thread