Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

My Barracuda arrived yesterday!
Old 15 Jul 2007, 14:44   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default My Barracuda arrived yesterday!

Yesterday, my Forgeworld shipment finally arrived. I ordered at our local store with a bunch of other people, and my IA 3: The Taros Campaign, Shas`O R`Myr and my Barracuda are finally here!

Alright, first impressions: Great sculpt, though it will be loads of work to clean the piece and get it ready to paint. I definitely can`t wait to get this thing onto the tabletop!

The book itself is just great! Sure, it was costly, but Ive already read through the background section (finally hitting my bed at around half past one in the morning ), and the description of the Taros campaign makes a great and interesting piece of fluff for the Tau Empire. The rules section of the book is a bit messed up, with unclear wording in a lot of cases (i.e. how exactly Drone turrets would deploy from an Orca) and missing rules (does a Barracuda have escape pods? Do the BCs fire at BS 2 or 4?), so an update (especially for using the IA 3 with the new Dex) is bitterly necessary.
Nevertheless, despite these mistakes, I consider IA 3 to be well spent money. The rules may be unclear sometimes, but with some interpretation together with your opponent they ARE usable; the background is well thought out and shows the Tau`s heavily mechanized warfare (therefore this is an efficient way to get the people in my gaming group to shut up who think Mech Tau is not "fluffy" ;D ).

Even though it will be some time until I can use him, I`m already thinking of army lists with my Barracuda included - I guess a Positional Relay would be a good idea to reliably guide my new superweapon onto the battlefield (with the Kor being known for usual delays when it comes to actually finding the battlefield).

It will eventually take the role of an Ionhead, leaving me with two Railheads for anti tank duty.
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jul 2007, 15:04   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge
Default Re: My Barracuda arrived yesterday!

Well, its a lovely model, finally finished mine the other day. Don't expect wonders from it, it is highly pointed for what it can do, but 9 times out of ten if you are taking forgeworld models you don't care about effective units

Glad you've finally recieved it, IMO, T'ros should be required owning for all Tau players. Awesome book, as you say expensive but I feel it was worth every penny.

R'Myr is a lovely Battlesuit, I might have to get some myself one of these days.

Drone turrets seemed quite straightforward to me, and as for your 'Cuda questions:

1 - Does it have an escape pod? Yes.

Edit: What do you know. The T'ros book is missing a lot on the 'Cuda. In Imperial Armour update, which I think supercedes T'ros, it is listed as having escape pod and that the bursts are drone controlled (BS2) however T'ros misses it out. I'll have to find out more about which ruleset is the more recent.

I hope it still does have the escape pod, as its damn useful, and they didn't drop the price if they did remove it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jul 2007, 15:11   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Well, normally, Drone controlled weapons have a BS of two, I agree. But normall, the profile for a vehicle woth Drone controlledf weapons looks like this: BS: 2 3 (4).

The Barracuda only states 3 (4).

When it comes to the Escape Pod, it is mentioned in the background, it is part of the model, but in the rules, it isn`t mentioned. I have mixed feelings about this, since I haven`t ordered a "Tau Kor Pilot" figure from FW, as well

I`m planning to use R`Myr as a Ninja O, with the weapon "counting as" a normal Plasma Rifle. I always wanted to field a Ninja`O, and this model just looks right for someone who has to delay approaching enemies in CC.
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jul 2007, 15:34   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Well, IAV1 had the fluff about how the ShadowSword (I think it was that one) can't fire its volcano canon and move, yet its not stated in the rules.
GeekyGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jul 2007, 15:54   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge

I know. The cuda I believe is 2 (3) 4, in the update, but I dunno which one supercedes which.

As for escape pod, well, IMO, tough. I will play mine with one, as I have the pilot painted and ready, and every rule I have seen (except Taros) says it has.

No one at my club objects, maybe the best course of action is just to ask your opponent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jul 2007, 01:39   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I have both R'Myr and a Barracuda, and i can safely say that they are both quite useful with their normal rules

Also, R'Myr is a good sign that GW is rethinking the tau's close combat abilities by using a very handy vehicle upgrade
Old 16 Jul 2007, 17:44   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

The Barracuda is one of the most efficiently costed 40K flyers. It's actually almost competitive, while the rest of the flyers are just stupid expensive. With 4 guns and a Target Lock, it's a solid anti-infantry platform. It's twinlinked Missile Pod makes it halfway decent as an anti-air tool on intercept as well (assuming you play with those optional rules).

Before Tau Empire came out and changed the D-pod rules it was really nasty >
"i like to think of playing against my list as being like punching jelly. you put all your effort in but it just moves out of the way and you cause no damage. then your arm is covered in jelly. and the chicks come out and start wrestling in the jelly, and i drink a beer with stone cold steve austin, and we watch the chicks jelly wrestling, and then the slap-bass funk starts wakka chakka wakka wakka woh" -- Spooky, describing Mech Tau

"You can of course make a list that attempts to work via fragility and easy VP donation and Pathfinders fit into that just fine." -- kai
T0nkaTruckDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jul 2007, 22:20   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Rogue_FireWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0nkaTruckDriver
The Barracuda is one of the most efficiently costed 40K flyers. It's actually almost competitive, while the rest of the flyers are just stupid expensive. With 4 guns and a Target Lock, it's a solid anti-infantry platform. It's twinlinked Missile Pod makes it halfway decent as an anti-air tool on intercept as well (assuming you play with those optional rules).

Before Tau Empire came out and changed the D-pod rules it was really nasty >
how did the old disruption pod make it nasty?

wins:21 Draws:9 Losses:8
[/img]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn (working on campaign)
They may be laughing at your red paint jobs or bat-eared grots when you deploy, but after loosing a few units to "da green horde" they'll learn to take your sonz of funguz seriously.
Rogue_FireWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jul 2007, 22:25   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Basically the old rules knocked 6" off your weapon range. When added to the flyer rule weapons with a rage of 18" or less couldn't hit you!
I'd hate to get on his bad side... >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
Fishy has just proved to me that Canadians CAN be scary...
Fish Ead is offline   Reply With Quote