Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

another 1000 point army list
Closed Thread
Old 03 Mar 2005, 03:41   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Location: On the Outskirts of the Kindom of Daley...in other words, in a Chicago Suburb
Send a message via AIM to stealth_cat_xv88 Send a message via MSN to stealth_cat_xv88 Send a message via Yahoo to stealth_cat_xv88
Default another 1000 point army list

how is this army list? probably not perfect, but fair against the vehic-heavy space marines, chaos, and eldar i usu. face

HQ
Shas'o w/missile pod, plasma, multitracker, target lock, shield generator, drone controller w/2 shield drones
shas'vre w/missle pod, fusion blaster, multitracker, target lock
shas'vre w/plasma and burst cannon, multitracker, target lock
bonded
340 pts

ethereal
50 pts

Troops
fire warrior squad
8 fire warriors w/pulse rifles, ion grenades
3 fw w/pulse carbines, ion grenades
1 squad leader w/pulse rifle markerlight, ion grenades, emp grenades
bonded
169 pts.

another fire warrior squad

13 kroot

Heavy Support
Hammerhead, w/railgun, smart missile system, a few upgrades, but no seeker missiles

this has served me well so far, but how could it be improved?
"Strategy is finding an s-o-b whom you rank and telling him to take a place, and relieving him if he doesn't." ~General George Patton
Old 03 Mar 2005, 03:53   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX
Default Re: another 1000 point army list

Welcome to the Boards, Stealth_Cat_XV15

I think your HQ in total is way over the top and that these should be elites mostly. You have a lot of really mixed up weapons in the same squad, which limits all of them in one way or another. Burstcannons are better used on XV15's or vehicles, use your precious hard points for less accessable guns, like plasma, fusion or missile pods. Also, you do not need target lock on each model (one does not need it, the others would though) to save points. The Shas'vre are just too expensive. Seperate them up into your Elites and you'll do better off with them, and perhaps consider new configurations (plasma + missile pods, or plasmsa + fusion) to try and take advantage of how your weapons compliment each other.

The Ethereal isn't helping your list because you don't have many Tau units to begin with for this many points. I would drop him for more Kroot.

The troops are ok, but don't bother with any of the grenade options they have. They're just not worth their points. Also, leave that markerlight at home. Markerlights are best used 100% throughout the army or not at all to see their points back.

You need more Kroot and try and make it an even number for thier squad (for the below 50% strength moral checks).

The Hammer looks good--be sure to have multi-tracker and decoy launchers.

[hr]

I would really suggest more models in this army. More firewarriors especially as it is not mobile and has low suit counts. If you're playing a static list, try and take advantage of your static units that are stable (and then your Ethereal will be worth taking again).

Good luck!
Old 03 Mar 2005, 04:00   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer

HQ
you have 400 out of 1000pts invested in HQ, far too much. a lone fireknife 'El is cheapefficient and allows you much more flexibilty in the list.

Troops
now you have so many free points you can get some real troops, carbs are inneffective and I'm not sure wether you mean photon grenades but they are innefective aswell.

FW X12
-Shas'ui
-Devilfish
-DL
215pts

FW X12
-Shas'ui
-Devilfish
-DL
215pts

20 Kroot
140pts

thats a more effective troops section, kroot as a solid anchor and 2 Fish teams to attack at isolated units.

Elites
moving the crisis back into Elites takes them back a few points and allows more dakka.

3 X Crisis
-TLPR
-Your choice of Flamer, MT, TL.
180pts

HSupport
HH
-Rail
-BC
-MT
-DL
165pts.

thats a bit more streamlined, and has much more dakka, hope you think so too.
Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
Old 04 Mar 2005, 19:48   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Location: On the Outskirts of the Kindom of Daley...in other words, in a Chicago Suburb
Send a message via AIM to stealth_cat_xv88 Send a message via MSN to stealth_cat_xv88 Send a message via Yahoo to stealth_cat_xv88

thanks for the help and yeah i did mean photon grenades not ion grenades (oops)

"Strategy is finding an s-o-b whom you rank and telling him to take a place, and relieving him if he doesn't." ~General George Patton
Old 05 Mar 2005, 03:46   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

oh, and i did have some reasoning behind the outfitting of my command squad--the idea was for them to be fair against anything...not 'geared' to, say cut through infantry or take out armor; they would hopefully be able to hold their own against any adversary, which usually is true

also, why are markerlights a bad investment? For only 10 pts, a hit on 2+...helps hammerheads, especially w/my luck rolling, a lot.
Old 05 Mar 2005, 03:53   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

yeah, I gathered that from the wierd loadouts, funnily enough, fireknife does just as well, is simpler and more effective in more common situations, all crisis configs are not created equal .

with that ML, you have to hit on a 4+ first, and its a 17pt ML, for a 4+ chance of lighting, removing a rifle and keeping them stationary and not in a fish where they belong? (remember dismounting counts as moving), if you want ML get PF. theyre a bit too expensive at 17pts for a one off 4+ chance to make the HH hit on 2+ instead of 3+.
go here
Old 05 Mar 2005, 05:17   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

This web site has a lot of infromation about playing mechanized tau if you are going for mechanized...hope that it helps
http://www-personal.engin.umich.edu/~leebj/index.html
"A thousand fibers connect each of us with our fellow Tau and along those fibers our deeds run as causes which come back to us as effects. Everything we do must be in furtherance of the Greater Good lest we return to the Mon'ta, the Terror." Shas'o Vior'la Kasis, Fire Warrior Commander.
Old 05 Mar 2005, 06:10   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

you've really taken to that Tactica havent you Kauyon :P, just to chime in it has the official Dizzy stamp of approval and recommended reading award as well
go here
Old 05 Mar 2005, 06:18   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy
you've really taken to that Tactica havent you Kauyon :P, just to chime in it has the official Dizzy stamp of approval and recommended reading award as well
It is the best website that explaines Tactica...after all we must "spread the learning "
"A thousand fibers connect each of us with our fellow Tau and along those fibers our deeds run as causes which come back to us as effects. Everything we do must be in furtherance of the Greater Good lest we return to the Mon'ta, the Terror." Shas'o Vior'la Kasis, Fire Warrior Commander.
Old 05 Mar 2005, 23:21   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

thankx...the website was really helpful. What is the 'fireknife' battlesuit config? I've heard it referred to several times but never seen it explained
Closed Thread