Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

What do i do about a Deepstriking monolith?
Old 11 Jul 2007, 23:35   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via AIM to General-Hoth
Default What do i do about a Deepstriking monolith?

my friend Plays Necrons And he likes to deep srike his monolith , How do I deal with it?

And how does it work exactly? i dont think he really knows what he is doing sometimes....

"Respect is earned "
General-Hoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jul 2007, 00:29   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Damian_Alpha
Default Re: What do i do about a Deepstriking monolith?

Here's how it works: He determines where he wants to put it. He rolls scatter. So long as it does not land on impassable terrain, move ALL of your models under the monolith out of the way, via the shortest distance.
Then, he shoots everything within a 12" radius of his hull with D6 "Gauss" Heavy Bolter shots, everything dies, and you scream in abject frustration.

How to counter it?

Spaced- out broadsides or hammerheads will do the trick. Occasionally, swarming fusion blasters will work as well. If you can lure the Monolith to attack them, an Ethereal's honor guard with EMP grenades will also scratch it occasionally...but the cost is so inefficient, it's not worth it.
"I have exactly one-hundred men under my command counting on ME to lead that charge, you two-bit mechanic. I have five seige tanks, eight APC's, an artillery platform and a light mech that need resupply and repair by dusk. I need remote mines set, trenches dug, and my men fed and rested, or those Marines are going to be using us for toothpicks. Get it done, Fio'vre." Officer Sherwin Jackson, 13th Dal'yth Company, to Fio'vre D'nan

"Feed well, my Bretheren. You are what you eat, and we have devoured the mighty." Master Shaper Korl Muur
Damian_Alpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jul 2007, 00:59   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damian_Alpha
If you can lure the Monolith to attack them, an Ethereal's honor guard with EMP grenades will also scratch it occasionally...but the cost is so inefficient, it's not worth it.
But this approach earns you style points!

Spaced out units seem like an ok counter - for their cheap cost and large unit size, Kroot would seem to fit the bill perfectly. And, against the gauss weaponry, Tau die just as quickly, so their lack of armor doesn't hurt too much. Drone squads, perhaps? But no one uses them...
I picture the Ethereal looking out the window of the Devilfish from his seat: "Hey this isn't the way to Applebee's?! Where are you guys taking...Aw man, a battle?! Aw, you guys are total dicks, I swear! I'm still wearing my bathrobe! Can I at least have a gun? What do you mean you don't have any extra? What should I do, hit Khorne Berzerkers with my symbol of office? Man, you're gonna be sorry if I die... dicks."
Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jul 2007, 01:09   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

No on the fusion. Just no. You need a 6 to glance.

The only answer is railguns, and a hella lot of them.
GeekyGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jul 2007, 01:28   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

It's a 6 to penetrate not glance.

Fusion is AP1 and the monolith, while a skimmer, can't move over 6" for skimmers moving fast rule.
Old 12 Jul 2007, 01:28   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via AIM to EOAdonis

Yes, railguns are the best choice for taking down a monolith. However, the look on your opponents face when you destroy his fancy expensive killing machine with little blue men in melee is just priceless. >

This also applies to land raiders, but railguns make short work of them too if used properly.

For thee, my Lord, for thee.

Power hath descended forth from Thy hand

Our feet may swiftly carry out Thy commands.

So we shall flow a river forth to Thee

And teeming with souls shall it ever be.

In Nomeni Patri Et Fili Spiritus Sancti."
EOAdonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jul 2007, 01:37   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via ICQ to Dagonus Send a message via AIM to Dagonus

Quote:
Originally Posted by EOAdonis
This also applies to land raiders, but railguns make short work of them too if used properly.
]

Fusion is more effective against Land Raiders than it is against monoliths though.
Old 12 Jul 2007, 01:53   #8 (permalink)
Tyr
Shas'Saal

Broadsides are your best bet because Vechiles are necron fodder. The chances that he will glance your Hammerhead and stop it from shooting is quite high, I end up taking 2 hammerheads and my mate just took 2 monoliths,(overlapping gauss flux feilds of fire is wrong on just about every level I can imagine)
Also you can get more railgun shots from a broadside team, and the gauss flux doesn't hurt them too much.

"I have taken great pains not to laugh at the actions of aliens, nor to weep at them or to hate them, but to understand them."- Aun'shi
Tyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jul 2007, 01:59   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

And Broadsides are twin-linked, and can't be shaken. So!
I picture the Ethereal looking out the window of the Devilfish from his seat: "Hey this isn't the way to Applebee's?! Where are you guys taking...Aw man, a battle?! Aw, you guys are total dicks, I swear! I'm still wearing my bathrobe! Can I at least have a gun? What do you mean you don't have any extra? What should I do, hit Khorne Berzerkers with my symbol of office? Man, you're gonna be sorry if I die... dicks."
Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jul 2007, 04:13   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Tralfagar Send a message via MSN to Tralfagar Send a message via Yahoo to Tralfagar

I agree, take out 1/5 of his points with a unit that is about 1/6 of ours. Broadsides are cheap for what they do andcan deny LoS wile destroying the Monolith.

Besides that...ignore it and try to work around it ;D
Codex: Farsight Enclaves(me)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekyGator
The divide between what gets put up on an art gallery and what gets you thrown in jail is mostly dependent on the quality of the frame, even though both are just as good for fapping.
Tralfagar is offline   Reply With Quote