Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Wargear Question
Old 10 Jul 2007, 14:05   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Wargear Question

I searched the forums before posting this. I don't want to post a question that's already been asked, but I can't find the answer anywhere.

If I give a battlesuit access to Wargear, does it get access to more support systems as well? For example, if I give my Broadside an ASS as his Support System, then upgrade him to a Team Leader, giving him access to wargear, can I also buy him a Targeting Array?
Old 10 Jul 2007, 14:09   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Wargear Question

No.
Support systems are not listed as wargear.

Sorry, no fancy reasons, you just did not read careful enough.

[WHFB] Dwarfs
9 victorious slaughters/ 7wins/ 5 draws/ 7 losses

[WH40k] Tau
17victorious slaughters/ 10wins/ 2draw/ 1 loss
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jul 2007, 14:17   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Thank you for the direct reply * That definately answers my question.... even tho it makes my Broadside cry a little. :'(
Old 10 Jul 2007, 14:58   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Damian_Alpha

This is why I usually give my broadsides plasma: If I need to move and shoot, I'll use the Crisis suits Stabilized Fire ability (or whatever it is called) and pop a few plasma shots down the way, then next turn set down with the big guns.
"I have exactly one-hundred men under my command counting on ME to lead that charge, you two-bit mechanic. I have five seige tanks, eight APC's, an artillery platform and a light mech that need resupply and repair by dusk. I need remote mines set, trenches dug, and my men fed and rested, or those Marines are going to be using us for toothpicks. Get it done, Fio'vre." Officer Sherwin Jackson, 13th Dal'yth Company, to Fio'vre D'nan

"Feed well, my Bretheren. You are what you eat, and we have devoured the mighty." Master Shaper Korl Muur
Damian_Alpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jul 2007, 20:18   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor
... you just did not read careful enough.
I'd rather say his mistake was caused by the fact that the truth is so obvious, and he read too careful!
Same thing happened to me wrt how to handle SMART missiles...

Cheers
Olle
Old 10 Jul 2007, 20:22   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Yeah, that's the ticket. I read it too carefully ^-^
Old 10 Jul 2007, 20:36   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damian_Alpha
If I need to move and shoot, I'll use the Crisis suits Stabilized Fire ability (or whatever it is called) and pop a few plasma shots down the way, then next turn set down with the big guns.
I think you're doing or thinking something wrong here...

- If with "stabilised fire ability" you refer to the Advanced Stabilisation support system option, then why not just shoot with the big guns right away?

- If you instead refer to the general ability of Crisis suits to shoot rapid fire weapons out to their full range even if moving, then you should know that it stems from their jet packs (see the rulebook p.55, last paragraph). The Broadsides have sacrificed their jet packs in favour of the rail gun's power supply, and so don't have that ability! (You can still shoot the plasma rifles at targets within 12" though.)

Cheers
Olle
Old 10 Jul 2007, 20:51   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

But Broadsides do not count as moving when they fire Rapid Fire weapons either. Tau Codex, Pg. 27 in the box at the bottom. The point of the Advanced Stabilization System, as I understand it, is to move and fire a heavy weapon on the same turn, which would be very nice, but so would an additional BS
Old 11 Jul 2007, 00:04   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Damian_Alpha

Voss BC is correct. The special ability to move and shoot rapid fire weaponry carries over to both brands of XV-8 and XV-88 battlesuits. It would make little sense for a ground based, heavy-weapons specialized weapons platform to be less stable than an airborne weapons platform that fires on the fly and rapidly changes direction in mid-air. You'll note that in the Tau codex, they specifically cite it within the battlesuit wargear pages.

Thus why I suggested the broadsides with plasma. You still have a nasty weapons platform, and with plasma rifles and a targeting array the whole model comes to 90 points: Ironically, the same cost as a shas'el with TLPR and a targeting array, albeit with a better armor save, no jetpack, a twin-linked tankbusting weapon, and a slightly lower accuracy. Allow me to demonstrate

Shas'el with MP,Plas,Targeting Array, HWMT: 97

FW team x12 with Team Leader, Markerlight, HWTL: 145
FW team x12 with Team Leader, Markerlight, HWTL: 145
Kroot x20+shaper: 161

Broadside team x3 with plasma and TA, Team Leader, bond, HWMT, HWTL, and two shield drones: 310 points
Broadside team x3 with plasma and TA, Team Leader, bond, HWMT, HWTL, and two shield drones: 310 points

Army total: 1500 even

Your broadsides field enough firepower to wipe out any tanks that pop up between the two of them, especially with the Team Leader being able to target independently of the rest of the squad. The kroot serve as a first-turn firebase, softening up the enemy's front with massed, cheap firepower from in cover. The Fire Warriors pop off soft vehicles, exposed infantry and any miscellaneous targets within range, while the team leader paints up the targets for the broadsides... who then anihilate them. If out of range of a vehicle, the broadsides relocate to an alternative firing position, taking out enemy heavy infantry or assault units with their twin-linked BS4 plasma.

Kroot move forward if no targets present themselves and assault/rapid fire the enemy heavy weapons teams (depending on feasibility of assault options...any turn a heavy weapons team is locked in combat is a turn they aren't moving in). Additionally, they are to intercept any assault teams, bike squads, or equivalent, with the advantage of being in cover when charged (thus granting initiative 10 against the charging squad). Alternatively, if the assault team ignores the Kroot, the subsequent cross-fire of rapid-firing kroot rifles, pulse rifles, and plasma rifles, will evaporate most targets with ease.

If objectives are being played, the broadsides (after taking out all relevant vehicles) force-march with plasma blazing up to the points during the last 2-3 turns (most objectives other than clense have a securance range of 6-12 inches, so this works okay). Same goes for the fire warriors. The Kroot, if they are able to hold, shall also be use to secure objectives through tactical relocations and judicious use of intervening terrain to shelter them from enemy fire.

Thus the Broadside-plasma based list I have run several times in the past, with moderate success. Kroot can take out most indirect firing platforms with some luck, and if that fails the commander deep-striking to a secure location with his combined S6-7 shots will bust most artilery platforms in a single round of shooting.
"I have exactly one-hundred men under my command counting on ME to lead that charge, you two-bit mechanic. I have five seige tanks, eight APC's, an artillery platform and a light mech that need resupply and repair by dusk. I need remote mines set, trenches dug, and my men fed and rested, or those Marines are going to be using us for toothpicks. Get it done, Fio'vre." Officer Sherwin Jackson, 13th Dal'yth Company, to Fio'vre D'nan

"Feed well, my Bretheren. You are what you eat, and we have devoured the mighty." Master Shaper Korl Muur
Damian_Alpha is offline   Reply With Quote