Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Monats Vs. Suit Teams
Old 10 Jul 2007, 05:57   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Monats Vs. Suit Teams

So, I'm going over my list, getting ready to post it for some review. But before I do, I want to find out the effectiveness of Soloing Vs. Teams.

That is, in smaller groups a Monat would be fairly useful in taking out the occasional tank. And in Larger armies, I'd imagine that three Suits would always be good, Cause there are more Shots in one slot. Is this a Correct assumption?

And Would two Suits be any good? Unless they had drones, wouldn't they have to the Stand Alone Test or what not if a model got picked off?

...So, um, basically, any and all reviews of Monats, Two man teams, and three man teams of Crisis and Broadsides would be appreciated (:

"...If he's right about the melons, he's right about the bears!"-NPC from Inquisitor
Siric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jul 2007, 06:09   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via ICQ to Dagonus Send a message via AIM to Dagonus
Default Re: Monats Vs. Suit Teams

In my opinion. Monats are the best. But in a suit heavy army, Teams of 2 or 3 become necessity. I like smaller teams because it gives the units more flexibility.

Teams of two have a slight advantage over teams of 3 sometimes. If 1 is killed in a 2 man team, you don't need a bonding knife. Its still at 50% strength and can regroup. If it runs off the board, only 1 ran away as opposed to 2 running away if one is killed in a 3 man team.
Old 10 Jul 2007, 07:55   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Damian_Alpha

1-2 is generally the best option if fielding suits without drones. Not only because of the aformentioned leadership benefits, but because the small footprint makes it easier to hide behind objects/terrain. Any more than that, and you're making the unit a tasty target for heavy weapons.
"I have exactly one-hundred men under my command counting on ME to lead that charge, you two-bit mechanic. I have five seige tanks, eight APC's, an artillery platform and a light mech that need resupply and repair by dusk. I need remote mines set, trenches dug, and my men fed and rested, or those Marines are going to be using us for toothpicks. Get it done, Fio'vre." Officer Sherwin Jackson, 13th Dal'yth Company, to Fio'vre D'nan

"Feed well, my Bretheren. You are what you eat, and we have devoured the mighty." Master Shaper Korl Muur
Damian_Alpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jul 2007, 16:45   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

In general, the smaller the team the better. Smaller teams are easier to hide behind terrain, give up less VP's if killed, and require less investment in defensive wargear (Drones, Bonding, etc). Start with Monats and add suits as required for larger games. I find I can usually get away with all Monats (2 Commanders and 3 solo Elites) in games up to ~1250 pts. Above that I frequently find I need more suits and end up doubling up my Elite slots.

Monat suits don't need Drones.

I always buy a pair of Shield Drones for an Elite team of 2 or 3 unless they're all Deathrains.

I always bond a team of 3, and sometimes a team of 2 if points allow (also dependant on whether an Ethereal or Shadowsun is present).
"i like to think of playing against my list as being like punching jelly. you put all your effort in but it just moves out of the way and you cause no damage. then your arm is covered in jelly. and the chicks come out and start wrestling in the jelly, and i drink a beer with stone cold steve austin, and we watch the chicks jelly wrestling, and then the slap-bass funk starts wakka chakka wakka wakka woh" -- Spooky, describing Mech Tau

"You can of course make a list that attempts to work via fragility and easy VP donation and Pathfinders fit into that just fine." -- kai
T0nkaTruckDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jul 2007, 18:01   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Does a team of two have to make Last Man Standing rolls if one of them gets picked off? Of course, even if they do it's not so bad with Ld 8.

"...If he's right about the melons, he's right about the bears!"-NPC from Inquisitor
Siric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jul 2007, 22:01   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Does a team of two have to make Last Man Standing rolls if one of them gets picked off? Of course, even if they do it's not so bad with Ld 8.
Yes, the remaining survivor has to. Also a Mon`at with a Drone Controller had to take the test if his last Drone was killed...
This is the only real drawback in a 2-suit unit.
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote