Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

214 spare points
Old 10 Jul 2007, 04:38   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default 214 spare points

I'm reworking my 2000 pt mech tau list and I've only worked out 1786pts, leaving me with 214 extra.

So far I have:

Ninja'O
plasma/stimm/shield-gen/VRT/IA

3 man Crisis team: all fireknifes with HWMT, TA, PR, MP

6 man stealth: 2 with plasma

3 piranhas: fusion

path finders and fish

2 mounted FW squads

Ion head

Rail head

So far Im looking at either another Rail head, or crisis suits. Any suggestions?
Feel free to critique anything. Thanks for the help! =D
SUUPAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jul 2007, 05:05   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Ravager
Default Re: 214 spare points

2 Sniper Drone Teams and a budget Deathrain.
Seriously, MEQ's should be scared of that combo.

Or

3 x 10 Kroot.
30 bodies (in 3 squads) for 210 points is nothing to laugh at. Especially when they have a 4+ cover save for being in the woods.

Or

2 man BASS Team, with leader & 2 Shield Drones.
If the vehicles don't run from your railhead, or your Piranha's, these guys'll get 'em.

Okay, so these are more Hybrid options, but they dish out large amounts of pain.

If you want true Mech, take another Railhead, or if you want to be adventurous, a Sky Ray.

On the other hand, 2 two man crisis teams (Burning Eye/Helios & Deathrain/Firesurge) could certainly do a large amount of damage to a wide variety of targets.

Hope those are of some help.

We have done the impossible... and that makes us mighty.
Firefly is pretty much made of Awesome, Funny, and Aww. Sometimes simultaneously. We'd better stop before we quote the entire script.
–tvtropes.org
Ravager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jul 2007, 05:15   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via ICQ to Dagonus Send a message via AIM to Dagonus

Well I'd drop the IA on the Commander and then go for another railhead in that list. That should leave you enough to buy a 4th Piranha. Then you can split those 3(+1 additional) into 2 groups of 2. Then you could lose 2 piranhas(1 from each squadron) and still have it scoring and deny your opponent any VPs for it.
Old 10 Jul 2007, 05:34   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I like Dagonus suggestion, alternately you could get another 130 point Economy Ionhead + Piranha.

But what I personally would do is to drop one of those fireknives so you will have 276 points to work with. 2 man crisis teams are easier to hide, and more effective. Plus you can use the points to get this.

Economy Ionhead - BC, MT, DL - 130 points
10 Kroot - 70 points
1 Piranha, TA, Fusion - 70 points

You can make the Piranha 2 man teams as Dragonus suggested, get a nice infiltrating unit to support your stealths, and the Ionhead will more than make up for the loss of the Fireknife.

BTW I would like to critique your list, perhaps you could write the entire things out with upgrades and everything over in the army list section?
Old 10 Jul 2007, 05:57   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

while i was contemplating some deathrains, the railhead and piranha definitely makes sense, But im really worried about my 'O so i think i might drop a few stealths to make room, instead of the IA

although i know i should get some kroot to help the stealths I'm one of those purist tau players...and am not too big on auxiliaries, is there another way I can support them?

i cant seem to find the army list section...XD so i'll post the modified list here.

Full Metal Crisis

HQ: Shas’O Ashur’a 155pts

Equipment: Plasma Rifle, Vectored Retro-Thrusters, Iridium Armor, Shield Generator, Stimulant Injector.

Special Rules: Independent Character, Feel No Pain, Deep Strike, Hit and Run, [Assault D6, because of IA]

Elites:

Crisis Suit Team 221pts
Shas’ui – team leader 77pts

Equipment: Plasma Rifle, Missile Pod, HW Multi Tracker, Target Array
Abilities: Acute Senses, Deep Strike

2xShas’ui 72pts

Equipment: Plasma Rifle, Missile Pod, HW Multi Tracker, Target Array
Abilities: Acute Senses, Deep Strike

Stealth Suit Team – bonded 162pts
Shas’vre 42pts

Equipment: Fusion Blaster,
Abilities: Infiltrate, Acute Senses, Deep Strike

4xShas’ui 30pts

Equipment: 1xFusion Blaster, 4xBurst Cannon
Abilities: Infiltrate, Acute Senses, Deep Strike

Fast Attack

Pathfinders Team 165pts
Shas’ui 22pts

Equipment: Carbine, Markerlight
Abilities: Scouts, Marker Beacon[allows deep-striking units that DS in LoS of fish to re-roll scatter dice]

4xShas’la

Equipment: Carbine, Markerlight
Abilities: Scouts, Marker Beacon[allows deep-striking units that DS in LoS to team to re-roll scatter dice]

Devilfish 95pts

Equipment: Burst Cannon, Drones, Sensor Spine, Disruption Pod

Prianha Team 140pts
2xPiranha Skimmers 70pts

Equipment: Fusion Blaster, Target Array

Prianha Team 140pts
2xPiranha Skimmers 70pts

Equipment: Fusion Blaster, Target Array

Troops

Mounted Fire Warriors 273pts

Shas’ui 24pts

11xShas’la 14pts

Equipment: Pulse Rifle, EMP Grenades, Photon Grenades

Devilfish 95pts

Mounted Fire Warriors 273pts

Shas’ui 24pts

11xShas’la 14pts

Equipment: Pulse Rifle, EMP Grenades, Photon Grenades

Devilfish 95pts

Heavy Support

Hammer Head: 165pts

Equipment: Rail Gun, SMS, Targeting Array, Disruption Pod

Hammer Head: 165pts

Equipment: Rail Gun, SMS, Targeting Array, Disruption Pod

Ion Head: 130pts

Equipment: Ion Cannon, SMS, Targeting Array, Disruption Pod

TOTAL: 1989

I listed everything in order to help me remember what i have so i dont forget mid-battle >_<**
Old 10 Jul 2007, 06:04   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUUPAH
while i was contemplating some deathrains, the railhead and piranha definitely makes sense, But im really worried about my 'O so i think i might drop a few stealths to make room, instead of the IA
honestly? You've got SI, IA and SG on him right now... and he's carrying one gun. a Shas'O is not anybody else's high powered HQ. I think you're very much over protecting him.
Old 10 Jul 2007, 06:32   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

and he's carrying one gun.

true, that thought has crossed my mind, But the stealth squad has actually been kinda bulky in recent battles and im leaning towards paring the stealths even further, or two three man teams and dropping IA. I'll run a few more battles with this list first.

Thanks for the help everyone
Old 10 Jul 2007, 07:06   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

You MUST remove the statlines. GW would try to kill us all for that. We've all got the codex anyway if we dont' remember anything.

To get to the Army List board, go back out to the Tau board and look at the top above the stickied thread. It's right up there.

HQ: I've already said what I think on this.

Elite:
If you're going to drop the Stealths, don't go all the way to 3. At 4 man, it takes 3 casualties to become non scoring, with 3 it only takes 2. If you stay up at 5 man teams, then it takes 2 casualties to simply force a test and 3 to become non scoring. Don't bother with the Fusion blaster. If you have to get that close with teh stealths, then you're losing their biggest defensive asset.

Break your XV8s into two teams. Then you have a team of 2 and a team of 1. More control that way. And if they break and run.. only 1 guy will run when 1 casualty happens instead of 2. Give a target lock to the 2nd of the one paired with the Vre. Also, You can't have the HW multitrackers on 'Uis. Only Team Leaders can have gear from the Wargear list.

Troop

Disruption pods aren't worht their cost (See the reason I gave in Heavy.) Buy Decoy launchers instead.
Sensor Spines: Why? I just cna't fathom a good use for these. You want to get your FWs to the fight quickly. You'd be better off with a multitracker and moving 7" to give your glancing defense.
Photon Grenades: If the enemy hits your FWs in melee, it's too late anyway.
EMP Grenades: You have enough anti tank elsewhere that you dont' need it in the FWs too.

Fast

All good here

Heavy

No Multi Trackers? the 12" and guns blazing is great!
No Decoy Launchers? If you're going to move 7" to get your Deflection protection.. you probably want an extra change to live if you get immobed.
Disruption Pods: Not worth the cost. If you always move 7" then you'll only ever need teh DPs on turn one if you don't get first move.
Target locks: Multiple targets!
SMS: I agree with the SMS on the Ionhead, I really do. On railheads, I like the Burst cannons. Simply because if you throw pies with them, they become light infantry death. SMS seems to play out mroe anti Marine anway. I know they're both the same stat line just different range and shot number, but something like guard or Orks.. will have units in the open somewhere for the Bursts to find them(only so many guys fit in a trench). Something liek Marines will have less targets and they'll thus be more easily hidden.

Old 10 Jul 2007, 07:55   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

oops my bad, >_< forgot about that
Old 11 Jul 2007, 05:12   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

mm I was wondering, instead of making a lone fireknife, maybe i could make a two man deathrain team. opinions? 58 pts each if both have TLMP, TA, and then one with a Target Lock and the other as team leader