Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

on sensor spines.
Old 08 Jul 2007, 02:12   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default on sensor spines.

can anyone point out to me what the benefit of them over moving more than 6" in a round would be? one can downgrade a glance on a 4+ and one always downgrades a glance. asides from crashing if an immobilization roll came up, i can't really see any reason to just not take these and always move 6" or more.
krupintupple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Jul 2007, 09:07   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Damian_Alpha
Default Re: on sensor spines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krupintupple
can anyone point out to me what the benefit of them over moving more than 6" in a round would be? one can downgrade a glance on a 4+ and one always downgrades a glance. asides from crashing if an immobilization roll came up, i can't really see any reason to just not take these and always move 6" or more.
Tank shocking into cover, for one, as this allows the vehicle to ignore any dangerous terrain tests it would need to make. Additionally, it provides the ability to squat IN cover, thus potentially negating LOS to units that could flank you, due to area terrain. There are a couple other scenarios in which it would be useful, but these are the primary ones.
"I have exactly one-hundred men under my command counting on ME to lead that charge, you two-bit mechanic. I have five seige tanks, eight APC's, an artillery platform and a light mech that need resupply and repair by dusk. I need remote mines set, trenches dug, and my men fed and rested, or those Marines are going to be using us for toothpicks. Get it done, Fio'vre." Officer Sherwin Jackson, 13th Dal'yth Company, to Fio'vre D'nan

"Feed well, my Bretheren. You are what you eat, and we have devoured the mighty." Master Shaper Korl Muur
Damian_Alpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Jul 2007, 09:42   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by krupintupple
i can't really see any reason to just not take these and always move 6" or more.
You need to more more then 6" to benefit form the "skimmers moving fast" rule. Though 6.1" is enough, the difference from 6" and 6+" has a great effect on which weapons a skimmer can shoot (since most Tau skimmers aren't fast).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damian_Alpha
Tank shocking into cover,
You don't need to enter terrain to tank shock. You only need to displace troops. Skimmers can't even enter difficult terrain.
Old 08 Jul 2007, 09:44   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Orange
You don't need to enter terrain to tank shock. You only need to displace troops. Skimmers can't even enter difficult terrain.
Then what does the description for a sensor spine read? What does it allow the vehicle to do?
"I have exactly one-hundred men under my command counting on ME to lead that charge, you two-bit mechanic. I have five seige tanks, eight APC's, an artillery platform and a light mech that need resupply and repair by dusk. I need remote mines set, trenches dug, and my men fed and rested, or those Marines are going to be using us for toothpicks. Get it done, Fio'vre." Officer Sherwin Jackson, 13th Dal'yth Company, to Fio'vre D'nan

"Feed well, my Bretheren. You are what you eat, and we have devoured the mighty." Master Shaper Korl Muur
Old 08 Jul 2007, 09:51   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damian_Alpha
Then what does the description for a sensor spine read? What does it allow the vehicle to do?
It allows a skimmer that normally can't enter terrain to enter terrain.

Noting in the BGB says you need to enter terrain to tank shock, and skimmers (without the sensor spine) can't enter terrain. But nothing prevents them from preforming a tank shock.
Old 08 Jul 2007, 10:00   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Really? Even though they're above the canopy, they would count and running through the trees at the soldiers below?

Never mind my tank-shock suggestion then.

Old 08 Jul 2007, 18:35   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

in most situations i just allows you to transport troops faster to objectives, in cityfight i tend to capture buildings straight off by moving twelve inches towards the building. in missions like recon on a normal table it also helps to get that last unit into enemy territory to win the game. i rarely use it outside of the first or last couple of turns
[img width=650 height=74]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x38/Majonga/sig.jpg[/img]
majonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Jul 2007, 19:07   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

They pretty much just suck.

I mean, instead, you could just get a multitracker, so you fire as a fast vehicle, and move over six every turn. Problem solved.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Jul 2007, 19:09   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

generally for vehicles i only buy multi trackers or target arrays cos everything else sucks
[img width=650 height=74]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x38/Majonga/sig.jpg[/img]
Old 08 Jul 2007, 19:10   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

omg i know this is pointless but my last post was at 09:09:09... cool 8)